Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21 Jan 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3952545)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i find i am also intrigued by the fuel, how they will make it, and whether or not it can also be used in their cargo planes?

i would imagine a lot of work has to be done before this becomes a relaity in the next 5 years no?

from the article:

'Research presented at the conference showed that electric racing cars could be responsible for twice the level of carbon emissions as hybrid racing cars, because of the amount produced when building the batteries.'

also would like top hear more on this. on one hand, what he says about batteries doesn't surprise me at all, but on the other hand, dont hybrid cars also use batteries which i am assuming also present this same problems as the electric car batteries he is talking about?
This only applies to racing cars, which have a relatively short life-span compared to road cars. Equally, they also have an incredibly small CO2 output compared to the rest of the world.

https://thecorrespondent.com/7056/wh...61200-afaa6e5d

Article here (it's long, but well written) on electric v fossil fuel cars and CO2 output over the entire lifespan of the vehicle, from production, through fuel generation, to the driving. This assumes a lifetime of the vehicle of 135,000 miles.

tl;dr - If your power is generated through 82% fossil fuels (apparently the NL mix at the time the article was written) then the electric car comes out producing 35-42 (metric) tons of CO2. The petrol car produces 50-53 tons. If we run off of 100% renewable energy (which we aren't, but Scotlands actually had a few days when we've had 100% renewable only), the electric car produces 14-21 tons over its lifetime.

Basically, the EV makes back the battery CO2 relatively quickly. This works for road cars, but not for racing cars because they don't do high enough mileage to gain it back. However, it's hard to make the argument against EVs based on CO2 output whilst we all want stonking great V12s. It's easier to say 'I don't like them due to lack of sound, gears, and all the fun stuff that makes racing cars fun'. And it's also impossible to argue against that stance as it's opinion.