Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 3 Jul 2002, 20:47 (Ref:326723)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ASCAR to race in the rain

WET WEATHER TEST A STORMING SUCCESS
ASCAR ACTION GUARANTEED AT ROCKINGHAM – EVEN IF IT RAINS

The ‘Days of Thunder’-style ASCAR motor racing series will be able to race at the Rockingham circuit even if it rains during the remainder of the ASCAR season.

ASCAR completed a successful wet weather test at the Northamptonshire track on Wednesday during which Nicolas Minassian, Colin White and Kelvin Burt tried specially-prepared wet weather Goodyear tyres on the Rockingham Link road circuit.

Following the test, drivers, team owners and ASCAR organisers agreed that it was “all systems go” to race the cars on the road course which is also used for the supporting events during ASCAR race weekends.

“ASCAR fans can now look forward to the spectacle of racing at Rockingham throughout the remainder of the season whatever the weather,” said Bob Berridge, chief executive of Oval Racing Management. “A few people were sceptical when we started these tests – in America the conventional wisdom was that it wouldn’t work.

“Our surface has an advantage over its American oval racing counterparts because of the type of asphalt used. Goodyear have been brilliant, creating a special wet tyre for us, and they worked perfectly on the more open compound of Rockingham asphalt, creating plenty of grip.”

“It was a lot of fun – the ASCAR cars are a real challenge,” said former Champ Car star Nicolas Minassian. “There are plenty of overtaking opportunities around the circuit. The wet weather tyre we used is also a good tyre – it had good grip. I think this is definitely the way forward.”

The Frenchman’s team-mate Kelvin Burt was in agreement. “It was easy enough to drive,” said the Ray Mallock Ltd driver. “The only problems we had were the screen misting up and water coming up through the floor. Apart from that it was good – it didn’t feel much different from racing in the dry.”

British Touring Car champion Jason Plato and BAR F1 test driver Darren Manning were also on hand at the test with the Bintcliffe Sport team. “I think it’ll be fine,” said Plato of the wet-weather race plan. “It’s got to be good for the sport. It means we’ll be going racing and giving the fans what they want. It will be great fun.”

Manning said: “To be able to race in the wet must be great for the spectators. We’re all in favour of it. No one likes being sat in the pits when you want to go out and race.”

The ASCAR rounds at EuroSpeedway Lausitz on May 26 and the last Rockingham round on June 4 had to be called off because of persistent rain, but will now be placed during the remaining ASCAR fixtures, beginning with an extra round at the Bank Holiday weekend ASCAR meeting on August 24/25.

Great news
Old 3 Jul 2002, 22:06 (Ref:326777)   #2
yintandiddleipo
Rookie

yintandiddleipo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the USA has oval racing for 60 million years & still can't run in the wet, whereas, Europe has it for about a year and gets the problem sorted (and with a lot less money than US ovals)!

Europe 1 USA 0
Old 3 Jul 2002, 22:23 (Ref:326786)   #3
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the difference is that the folks at Rockingham were testing the rain tyres on the road course. Nascar will not run in the wet on ovals, but they DO have wet weather tyres that they can run at Watkins Glen or Sears Point.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 22:52 (Ref:326793)   #4
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was discussion of NASCAR running in the wet a couple of years ago, and goodyear made a tyre, but the drivers (IIRC) basically said "no way". That was in about '99, I think...
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:33 (Ref:326951)   #5
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good news for the viewers

Do you think they will ever race in the wet on the ovals? that would be interesting

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 5 Jul 2002, 04:04 (Ref:327468)   #6
rubbinsracin
Rookie

rubbinsracin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, unless you are a fabricator. Then it just means hours and hours work rebuilding race cars. I just can't imagine driving into a wet corner at 140+ mph, with a concrete barrier 20' away. At a track like Darlington drivers regularly drift up to within inches of the wall. Remember on road courses if you go off the course it's usually into a gravel trap or run off area that is alot more forgiving than a solid wall.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 10:17 (Ref:327589)   #7
Rambo
Racer

Not really - the outside barriers and and tyre walls will rip cars to pieces just as well. In actual fact, contact with the wall in a stock car is usually at quite a shallow angle - the damage is not nearly as extensive as spinning off into the tyres at Thruxton, or flying off the track at Dingle Dell.

The worst stock car crashes are where more than one vehicle is involved - and these happen any time.

Besides, like any racing in the wet, you just have to take things a bit easy, won't you, and drive within the limits.

There would have to be yellow/red flags if it started raining during a race though, for everyone to take on the appropriate rubber. The worst times would be if it were just drizzling, or slightly damp - dangerous in slicks, to dry for wets.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 12:46 (Ref:327657)   #8
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rambo
Not really - the outside barriers and and tyre walls will rip cars to pieces just as well. In actual fact, contact with the wall in a stock car is usually at quite a shallow angle - the damage is not nearly as extensive as spinning off into the tyres
Yes, but the aftermath of the crash could be more deadly.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 12:48 (Ref:327661)   #9
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rubbinsracin
At a track like Darlington drivers regularly drift up to within inches of the wall.
& sometimes they get even closer than that!
Old 5 Jul 2002, 14:00 (Ref:327723)   #10
rubbinsracin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rambo

Besides, like any racing in the wet, you just have to take things a bit easy, won't you, and drive within the limits.

Sitting in the rain and watching them run slow, sounds really exciting. Maybe if we ask nicely, they'll let us stay and watch them pick up the trash in the grandstands.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 14:57 (Ref:327760)   #11
Rambo
Racer

Well, aren't we just a ray of ******* sunshine today?

[edit] Let's watch our language, ok?

Last edited by Tim B; 6 Jul 2002 at 05:37.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 15:22 (Ref:327773)   #12
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Nascar would make a mistake racing in the rain.

It would change the racing to staying in line with very little passing.
It just wouldn't be competitive !!!
I watch the open wheel racing sometimes on tv (IRL & CART) but I would never go to one of the open wheel races, I would be too bored, speed is exciting but the competition is where the action is.

To tell the truth I wouldn't sit in the rain to watch the race, call me spoiled if you like but I feel that most Nascar fans would feel the same.

I'll wait in the rain but I want to see the racing on a dry track. JMO
Old 5 Jul 2002, 18:11 (Ref:327849)   #13
Rambo
Racer

I wouldn't expect them to in the US. Over here it's rather a different matter though.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 21:29 (Ref:327934)   #14
rubbinsracin
Rookie

After 50 years of dry driving only, it would not be easy to convert NASCAR fans to driving in the rain. It would slow the action too much. I can't imagine 42 cars, nose to tail, 3 wide at Talladega in the rain. You literally might not have anyone finish the race. Another point is that NASCAR drivers are not familiar with driving in the rain and unless it rained all through practice and qualifying, their cars would not be set up for racing in the rain. I'm afraid this has Fiasco written all over it.

I just might change my signature to "Rambo's ray of ******* sunshine.", what do you think?

[edit] Let's watch our language, ok?

Last edited by Tim B; 6 Jul 2002 at 05:46.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 00:32 (Ref:327984)   #15
Rambo
Racer

lol. Don't let me twist your arm.

Over here, wet-races are often the best - and it let's you see who the best drivers are even if the machines aren't equal.

I know stockcars are supposed to run equal - but that's just a fairy story and we know it.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 02:50 (Ref:328021)   #16
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lmao @ rubbin
should i start calling you ray for short ? lmao