Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 21 Aug 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1387512)   #1
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit techie!

Anyone out there fitted an oil pressure gauge to a mk2 Golf gti 16valve 1989?

What will I need and where does it attach????????????? This car is stripped out for the track.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1392704)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've not fitted one to a Golf, but I'd recommend a racetech mechanical one. These are available from the usual places. It is simple to fit. You just fit a capilary tube to where the current oil pressure sender is and this goes all the way to the gauge. With the mechanical one there will be no wiring and also it'll be more accurate. Then the hardest part will be chosing where to mount it in the cockpit.

Wherever you buy it from should be able to help. Although the only piece of information you need is the required thread size. The gauge will normally be supplied with a capilary tube of the required length. You might be able to chose from a standard one or a braided one. Braided ones are best, but the others are up to the job too.

Have you thought of adding a low pressure light too? These are fitted in a similar way and much more noticeable if there is a sudden change.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1396624)   #3
Sirius
Rookie

Sirius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I also haven't done this job on a golf before, however I used to own one which now belongs to the other half.

As far as I know the standard oil pressure sensor is the one sitting directly on top of the oil filter housing.

I personally prefer electrical gauges as you do not have a line carrying oil entering the cabin, although they are more expensive so pro's and con's for both.

Looking at the "Think Automotive" catalogue the thread size you need is M10x1 although please get this confirmed.

What I would do is have a swaged line made up one end of which will fit to your standard sensor location, the other end should be positioned somewhere out of the way in the engine bay. To this end I would fit a 'T' piece allowing the installation of 2 sensors - one use for your gauge, and use another to hook up to a big light or buzzer to give you a very clear warning of something gone wrong.

www.thinkauto.com these are the folks for all things oil on cars - just let them know what you want to do - I've always found them really helpful.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1396856)   #4
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you

Cheers gents. Thanks for the advice. The old girl is doing good. Took her to Lydden Hill last Saturday. What a hoot. Great little infield left mid lap. Tripod every time. Great feel to the paddock too. Plenty of unusual motors around. A very serious bunch of enthusiasts and racers.

Great briefing from the head marshal. Fine response to the question "what's the protocol for overtaking?"

"Ah overtake where you like, just don't collide" LMAO

Tires are shreaded. Exhaust snapped. A bit of repairing to do. And we'll be back out in November. Bedford Autodrome.

Oil gauges should be done by then. Thanks again gents TTFN