Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3289821)   #1
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rev limiter legality

Are rev limiters legal in historic racing
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3289841)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ran one on my B for years,scrutineers were always aware of what it was,no problems.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3289844)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I've not heard of a car failing legality checks for having one. Some organisers have different rules on acceptance of electronic ignition, but can't remember ever seeing any mention of electronic rev limiters......
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3289854)   #4
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
Thanks Mike, didn't think there were any rules on them but you have to ask
Old 14 Aug 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3289917)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'd rather see our cars survive to fight another day than get over revved and blow up and be out for the rest of the season!
Old 15 Aug 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3290041)   #6
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I completely disagree !!

You need to look into Appendix K.
In there it clearly says that rev limiters are only legal if they work to the same principle as in period and which means not at all. That rules out reliable rev limiters in many forms of historic racing.

I think that this is a stupid and arcane rule that just puts engines at risk.
fundamental traditionalists at work again
nobody tries to go quicker by hitting the limiter on the upshift
yes, you might gain a Little at a start when you dont have look at your rev Counter with an eagle eye and have more overview of the General Situation but, so what

what is happening in the real world is that this rule is not policed and you will very likely not be bothered if you fit one.

buuuuuuut, most limiters are more trouble than they are worth, I stopped bothering with them years ago, many older ignitions dont really like them
On the other Hand, they are mandatory in HFO and work fine with the DFV spark box

Rudolf
Old 15 Aug 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3290070)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
In there it clearly says that rev limiters are only legal if they work to the same principle as in period and which means not at all.
Lotus Twincams had a mechanical rev limiter in period, built into the rotor arm. I believe other cars, e.g. Rover P6, VW, may have used a similar device.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3290107)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Rudolf, whenever I have had one fitted it has ended up causing problems. It won't protect you on a dodgy downshift and on the way up you should have some concept as to when to change!
Old 15 Aug 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3290117)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say that I am very confused by a couple of posts here! Are you supporting the use of RELIABLE limiters or not? All I was saying is that I would prefer our FISCAR cars not to be over revved to ensure their survival from one race to the next by whatever means works.

(Rudolf - emailed you about the FLIERS ages ago and Combe on 6th October!)
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3290120)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont have a problem with people using them - just I think they can cause more problems than they solve.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3290125)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Lotus Twincams had a mechanical rev limiter in period, built into the rotor arm. I believe other cars, e.g. Rover P6, VW, may have used a similar device.
It used the increase in centrifugal force as revs increased to break the HT connection, IIRC!

Rudolf is correct of course- there is a specific mention in AppK for Period E, F and G1 Series Production Touring and Standard Grand Touring Cars- "The addition of an electronic ignition system is not permitted, nor is that of an electronic rev limiter."

However, for same period Competition Touring and Competition Grand Touring Cars there is no mention...

Plus for "Non Homologated Cars" the technical regs state "An electronic rev limiter may be used for period F onwards.

If you want to fit one, in the real world common sense would appear to prevail.

Apart from possible reliabilty issues, as Simon says, a rev limiter doesnt help if you select 2nd gear rather than 4th.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3290152)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is,that if you share the car regularly,and not overly sure on a drivers capability of observing the rev limit you instruct him to use,surely it makes sense?
Old 15 Aug 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3290157)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

a fair point but I would think the bigger risk is a bad downchange and rev limiter is not going to protect you from that! In a two driver race I would hope both drivers would be sufficiently sympathetic to not red line the car - however...
Old 15 Aug 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3290169)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It used the increase in centrifugal force as revs increased to break the HT connection, IIRC!
That's the way it worked. Apparently, 1960s manufacturing technology being the way it was, there could 200-300 rev/min variation in cut-off revs between units.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3290295)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've got one of those rev limiter rotor arms amongst my collection of "clutter" on an old TC distributor.
I seem to remember they were a std fitment on new road going Mk 1 twink Cortinas, but most were soon replaced as they caused missfiring problems.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Aug 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3290342)   #16
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
BMs had them aswell, best ones produced by Bosch.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3290656)   #17
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
somewhere in the back of the workshop (or down in the cellar) I have a box of new ex-military rev limiting arms, they are beautifully made 24v high speed engine thingys and in period cost an arm and a leg (something around 50 quid each in the early 80s from what I remember)

absolute rubbish though - caused more misfires than you could poke a pig at.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3290788)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
in period cost an arm and a leg (something around 50 quid each in the early 80s from what I remember)
Sounds about right for loads of things that the government wastes our millions on, a mate of mine made some special parts for a vehicle that was going to be used in the Gulf war that cost serious money but was shelved at the last minute.
He was paid a lot of money but the parts were never collected and were eventually written off and scrapped !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !