Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 31 Dec 2001, 13:41 (Ref:191914)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The worst racing games you've ever played...

There are many great racing games around, but at the same time there are some truly horrific ones which should never EVER have been released.

For me the immediate one which springs to mind is F1 '98 - oddly playable but with the most horrific graphics, pop-up, frame rate and driver AI ever conceived on the beloved PSOne.

Any others?
Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:29 (Ref:191947)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spirit of Speed 1937. (But I know others like it!).

I would have said the Infogrames Le Mans (PC) game, but having derided it in another thread, I am back playing it again! (Running second in a Nissan R390 - 3 hours into a full 24 hour race).
Old 31 Dec 2001, 19:40 (Ref:192089)   #3
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOT GP1 ... Come to think of it, nothing I've really hated. A lot of those online games are pretty awful but when you don't have your own computer you can grow to like them awful handling etc etc. (eg on sportsmad.com, don't bother if you have a hard disk)

There is a really old game called Wacky wheels, one of my friends used to like it so I downloaded it and tried it out until I realised how truly awful it really was.
Old 1 Jan 2002, 09:50 (Ref:192175)   #4
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh God, F1 2000 for PC. Graphics: either u get to see car detail, and occasionally other cars and u run into the car in front of you before u have seen it, or u get to vaguely see where u are going, but everything is blurry. Handling: touc the right and button - car swivels around its centre point, banging you into a wall.
Old 1 Jan 2002, 21:46 (Ref:192395)   #5
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost(PC)
CART precision racing(PC)
F1 Pole Position(N-64)
Old 2 Jan 2002, 00:28 (Ref:192495)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aysedasi, Spirit of Speed actually wasn't that bad...

Badoer Fan, F1 2000 was a shocker, but F1 2001 is brilliant, probably the racing sim of the year in my eyes.

Anyway, my list of least favourite racing sims probably extends to include these games:

1. Grand Prix 3 (PC)*
2. Touring Car Challenge (PC)
3. Dick Johnson V8 Racing (PC)
4. F1 '98 (PSX)
5. Ridge Race V (PSX)

Yes, it's a good game, very realistic and the like, but it doesn't support Kyro II cards, so if you've got one you can't play it...
Old 2 Jan 2002, 00:45 (Ref:192512)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I still can't play GP3 either - everytime I try to load it up it comes out with a fatal error. It all started when I downloaded the track editors etc... Grrrr...

When it was working however, I was never particularly impressed with it anyway.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 02:52 (Ref:192544)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Spirit of Speed 1937. (But I know others like it!).

I never found a PC version onf the game, but I downloaded the Demo and I love it!! I wanted more and never found it...

My whole problen is with the controlers on games, without a force feedback wheel, you might as well be twiddling your thumbs.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 09:32 (Ref:192599)   #9
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any arcarp ... eerr ... arcade style game ... sims rule
Old 3 Jan 2002, 08:53 (Ref:193111)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree all arcade style games are a big yawn. I love sims with maximum realism. I definitely recommend a force feedback wheel and pedal set.

The worst game I have ever played, by far, was Bathurst Touring Car Champions. It was endorsed by HRT and HSV and the Mt Panorama consortium and it is ****ing rubbish. The most hopelessly unrealistic game you could possibly imagine.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 11:49 (Ref:193160)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
The worst game I have ever played, by far, was Bathurst Touring Car Champions. It was endorsed by HRT and HSV and the Mt Panorama consortium and it is ****ing rubbish. The most hopelessly unrealistic game you could possibly imagine.
Ah yes, that's the one I meant, but I forgot the name and called it Touring Car Challenge by mistake. Incidentally Sege Touring Cars was a shocker too - tin tops seem to fuel alot of dud games - I recall a few crappy rally games also.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 13:21 (Ref:193208)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
The only decent arcade racer is the fantastic Rage Racer - the third game in Namco's otherwise yawnworthy Ridge Racer series. Even today it still plays really really well.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 13:47 (Ref:193227)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I bought Spirit of Speed for £4.99 and thought it was pretty bad, but then I had been playing GPL quite alot, and I guess I might have been making some unfair comparisons. Bearing in mind that I've managed to get to grips with Le Mans again, perhaps I ought to try SofS again too?!
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:40 (Ref:193261)   #14
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOCA world touring cars III. the one with the black cover. Absolute ****ing ****. Squared off wheels, steering has a mind of its own round some corners and whoever's idea it was not to use genuine cars but make them up needs shooting.

Give me Micro Machines on the icy mountain ridge any day. Now that's fun.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 15:34 (Ref:193281)   #15
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I had the demo of TOCA: WTC and was not impressed. My brother owned the game but took it back within a week because he said it was too.

I'm going class Gran Turismo 2 as one of the worst racing games I've played too. It was a cheap and quick update of one the best racing games ever made, with shoddy track graphics and car handling, ridiculous racing, and just a few new bits tacked-on to make it look like a new game. It did no justice to the series at all.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 3 Jan 2002 at 15:35.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 17:46 (Ref:193344)   #16
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART precision racing
Old 5 Jan 2002, 00:08 (Ref:194111)   #17
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't exactly class TOCA World Touring Cars as one of the worst games made. The spongey suspension and simplified and drastic handling system did it no favors right enough. I honestly don't see why they didn't keep TOCA2s handling/physics and just carry on from there. It would've been a killer title if they went that direction. As usual they went for the mainstream audience rather than the true race fan and we got a dumbed down version much like WRC on PS2. So many games could have been great had they applied correct physics and handling models.

Worst racing game would have to be Sports Car GT on PSOne. I had to lie and cheat to get that thing out of my hands.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 07:13 (Ref:194165)   #18
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GasMan
dont i know you from somewhere stranger?

Last edited by Es Nes; 5 Jan 2002 at 07:14.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 09:48 (Ref:194187)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by GasMan
Worst racing game would have to be Sports Car GT on PSOne. I had to lie and cheat to get that thing out of my hands.
Interesting. On the PC it's a cracker! (Are we talking about the same game?)
Old 5 Jan 2002, 10:01 (Ref:194194)   #20
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The worst driving game was a BTCC game. I'm not sure but I think it was released in either 1992 or 1993 because it had Listerine BMWs but I can't remember what body shape. I also think it was on the Amiga. We were very late in changing to a PC in my household. I can't for the life of me remember what the game was called.

Last edited by Simon Pullan; 5 Jan 2002 at 10:02.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 13:41 (Ref:194316)   #21
GasMan
Racer

Hey Es Nes. You're right, it's the one and the same.

Aysedasi - SCGT on the pc is leagues apart from the PSX version. The games are so entirely different that it is shocking. I'd probably say it is like comparing the old LeMans PSOne game with the PS2 (or the even better Dreamcast version) LeMans game. PSX SCGTs car models are non-existant, I would call them blocks on wheels to be honest. I just knew I had to get rid of that game or suffer the ridicule of my peers if I ever mentioned it in the same breath (or conversation) as the mighty TOCA or Gran Turismo games.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 16:14 (Ref:194378)   #22
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That new Champ Car game on the PS2...i played it on my mates PS2 the other week and it was a total pile of pants !
Old 7 Jan 2002, 12:04 (Ref:194840)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Super Mario Kart count?
Old 7 Jan 2002, 12:32 (Ref:194860)   #24
GasMan
Racer

Mario Kart?! Nooo! It's a god among men in the gaming circle. Many teenage hours were spent firing shells at unsuspecting 'friends'. Friendships were tested and enemies made. That was a class game...

Just a shame it had a plumber as the lead character.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 09:29 (Ref:195368)   #25
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had another blast on TOCA WTC last night just to be sure and, yes, it is absolute codswallop. The worst. Le pire, as the French say. Handling is just awful on any track, with any car, in any ch'ship. So are the graphics. Dreadful. Abysmal. Embarrassing. Horrible.

Bathurst. Round the top of the hill. Turn left-right downhill and the thing takes off and only lands when it hits the barriers on the other side of the track. The only way to get through that corner is crawl through it only for every other car to hit you. Also, the left hairpin leading onto the hill-top - what is all that about!

For everything this game should have been, after the brilliance of TOCA2, it ranks as my all-time biggest disappointment. A true turkey.

Oh, and is WRC on PS2 really all that bad. I've not played it yet cos I'm still saving to buy a PS2!