Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Jan 2003, 22:49 (Ref:482917)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
American Spirit

Steven Johnson is to announce his drivers tomorrow (Thursday) at noon ET.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 23:45 (Ref:482962)   #2
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect Jimmy Vasser should be one of them.

No so clear about who the second seat will have anymore. (Hunter-Reay? Enge? Pantani? someone else?)

Should be fun!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 23:53 (Ref:482970)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steven Johnson

Although I don't have high hopes I would really like to see Memo get one of the seats.

How 'bout you Liz?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 00:03 (Ref:482980)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see Memo is over at Seventh Gear shaking his bonbon and wearing his "Will Drive For Food" sign.

I think Steve Johnson (!) will take Hunter-Reay as his driver, and I have heard a lot of rumours about Vasser driving for NA$CAR next year -- plus he has said " The only thing I know for sure is that I'll be driving the Rahal car at Indy." Now, how can he do that AND drive a Champ Car in Germany in the same weekend?

Last edited by Liz; 23 Jan 2003 at 00:03.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 00:32 (Ref:483009)   #5
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vasser, Hunter-Reay sign with new team

Posted on Wed, Jan. 22, 2003

Vasser, Hunter-Reay sign with new team
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS - Former CART series champion Jimmy Vasser and highly touted rookie Ryan Hunter-Reay will be teammates this season on the new American Spirit team.

The driver announcement Wednesday made the team owned and directed by former Formula One and CART driver Stefan Johansson of Sweden the only one in CART with American drivers.

"This has the feeling of six, seven, eight years ago when teams were smaller and more hands-on," said Vasser, the 1996 series champion. "And I think CART is going to be more of a drivers' series now."

Johansson, who previously owned an Indy Lights team, said he and Vasser are close friends.

"But more important, it's hugely important for a team like ours to have somebody with his experience to give everybody direction," the team owner said.

The 37-year-old Vasser has 10 victories and eight poles, and has made 165 consecutive Champ car starts. Al Unser Jr. made a record 192.

The 22-year-old Hunter-Reay won three races and three poles last season in the Toyota Atlantic Series.

"He has talent and raw speed, and I think having Jimmy as a teammate will help him make gains in a hurry," Johansson said.

Besides the 20-race CART schedule, Vasser plans to compete in eight to 12 NASCAR Busch series events for Braun Racing, which has been fielding cars in the ARCA stock car series. Vasser had the fastest lap Tuesday in Busch testing at Daytona International Speedway.

Old 23 Jan 2003, 00:34 (Ref:483011)   #6
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Liz,

Germany is May 11, Indy is May 25. But it does mess up qualifying for sure.

One possibility you should consider is that Adrian Fernandez, Jimmy Vasser and perhaps even Bruno Junqueira may have substitute European drivers fill in at Lausitz, so they can get ready for Indy qualifying. Brands Hatch is less of an obstacle.

On Vasser, he told reporters that he is dipping into his own money to pay for his CART ride. Also his BGN Dodge ride is only for a dozen races, not the full season.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 00:35 (Ref:483012)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, great stuff Is that officially the 18 we need?

BTW- is Hunter-Reay the real deal? How will he stack up in the field of Rookies and non-rookies?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 00:37 (Ref:483014)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's very quick, but if there's a first corner incident, he seems to be involved in it. Haven't heard from him in a while...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Jan 2003, 01:16 (Ref:483050)   #9
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...RICAN_DRIVERS?

It's official.

That makes 13 drivers announced. PK Racing is the 14th entry I'd call firm.

Autoweek has a soft count of 17 - I presume they add Bourdais at Newman-Haas, Moreno at Herdez (I think this one the most likely to happen), and I assume a second Walker car with Lavin. They also offer speculation about an 18th car with Emerson Fittipaldi fronting for a 2nd Patrick entry, perhaps with Bryan Herta. But I am inclined not to include any of these yet.

We are getting there. Relax.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 06:51 (Ref:483184)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 12:01 (Ref:483367)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news! That is one more settled then. Best of luck to the team and I do hope HR doesn't turn out to be another Mr. Bell.

Glad to have the update on Vasser; I couldn't make out what he was doing, and that schedule sounds very stressful but keeps his feet in all camps I guess.

Since when did NH want to run at the IRL 500? Mr. Newman has been VERY vocal on the subject in the past. Or will they take his name off the team for the duration?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 14:03 (Ref:483497)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No surprise here, but it should be a strong team. The series did need some Americans present, and its good to ahve a team they can cheer for, even if it's Steven Johnson in charge.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 16:51 (Ref:483666)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At Indy, its not about the driver as much as the car. Anyone can go and qualify a car for the grid and then someone else can drive it, but they give up their grid position. So, Rahal can have someone qualify the car and then Vasser can drive it from last place. Now thats the way it used to be and TG may have changed it by now.
Never forget #99
Old 23 Jan 2003, 18:03 (Ref:483720)   #14
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Liz,

It might happen. TRD has reserved an engine after talking with Mr. Haas. Whether it happens or not I don't know. But I do know Junky wants to be at Indy and so does Adrian.

Putting Memmo Gidly or Luiz Diaz in for one race in far off Germany wont change the Championship much, but it will make Adrian's sponsors happy.

BTW, Mr. Newman hasn't said peep lately. Also wasn't Bobby Rahal real vocal too?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 19:55 (Ref:483798)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
On Vasser, he told reporters that he is dipping into his own money to pay for his CART ride.
Good stuff. Guess he's not the money grabber everyone was gosiping about.

I am concerned about the numbers now. The first race day is exactly 1 month away. Where are the announcements?

Last edited by Snrub; 23 Jan 2003 at 19:59.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 20:19 (Ref:483809)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
True dat. Driver announcements are great, but we need team announcements!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 22:26 (Ref:483924)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'm not too worried because it's expected some team-driver combinations just won't make it to St. Petersberg as it's just too early for them to get it all together. As long as we have 16-18 cars there, we should have 20 by Long Beach. It just takes time...
Old 23 Jan 2003, 22:53 (Ref:483970)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
It might happen. TRD has reserved an engine after talking with Mr. Haas. Whether it happens or not I don't know. But I do know Junky wants to be at Indy and so does Adrian.

Putting Memmo Gidly or Luiz Diaz in for one race in far off Germany wont change the Championship much, but it will make Adrian's sponsors happy.
If Bruno is serious about the championship, there is no way on Earth he or the team would miss a round, unless the championship is wrapped up by May.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 00:37 (Ref:484069)   #19
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Fernandez is Haas are going to Indy then
it will be the other way around and they will have the cars qualified by another driver and start at the back. 2 rounds is too much to miss if you're after the Championship seriously.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 18:34 (Ref:484816)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Just did a quick search to see if the American Spirit team had a website up yet. What I came up with is another team running by the same name. Are they somehow linked?
http://www.americanspiritracing.com
Old 24 Jan 2003, 18:58 (Ref:484827)   #21
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American Spirit Team Johansson is Stefan Johansson's CART team name, the ALMS team is a different entity. This could get confusing.
Attached is a link to Stefan Johansson's website, primarily it still deals with his prototype racing
http://www.johanssonracing.com/
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Jan 2003, 19:09 (Ref:484831)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thanks. A search for "Steven Johnson Racing" didn't yield much!