Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3815375)   #46
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interestingly only 0.8 seconds between Sirotkin and Lewis in Q1.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3815878)   #47
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline View Post
It was pretty annoying listening to Anthony Davidson try to defend Williams' decisions to hire Stroll and Sirotkin during commentary of first practice yesterday.
Which was strange, Ant should know better than most that talent doesn't always mean opportunity.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3817124)   #48
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For one and once, Williams must rebrand its engines "Bugatti".
Hope when VW definitively enter F1 they could do that.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3817475)   #49
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would suggest Williams decided to cash-in on their name, brand image and fabulous F1 history some time ago.

Selling two drives to the highest bidders, combined with the income generated from the payments they receive as a "Special Status" F1 team, probably amounts to a considerable sum of money. Throw in a commercial sponsor like Martini and you've got yourself a nice little earner.

To keep costs down, they've probably built a "cheap but adequate" F1 car which is unlikely to get much in the way of up-dates across the season. Not a great strategy for the fans but I'm guessing it works for them......gives Frank's kids a good living I would imagine.

It's been a long time since Williams did anything of note on the race track so there must come a time when their "Special F1 Status" must surely lapse.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3817527)   #50
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!
You do have to wonder whether Williams will continue to receive the heritage payments when the current Concorde Agreement lapses. Hard to make an argument for them.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3817661)   #51
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I would suggest Williams decided to cash-in on their name, brand image and fabulous F1 history some time ago.

Selling two drives to the highest bidders, combined with the income generated from the payments they receive as a "Special Status" F1 team, probably amounts to a considerable sum of money. Throw in a commercial sponsor like Martini and you've got yourself a nice little earner.

To keep costs down, they've probably built a "cheap but adequate" F1 car which is unlikely to get much in the way of up-dates across the season. Not a great strategy for the fans but I'm guessing it works for them......gives Frank's kids a good living I would imagine.

It's been a long time since Williams did anything of note on the race track so there must come a time when their "Special F1 Status" must surely lapse.
They've got 600 staff on the payroll, so I suggest they've built an expensive inadequate car!
Old 27 Apr 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3817693)   #52
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a matter of interest, are all 600 staff there just to support the F1 operation?

I know Williams have several other business interests, but I've no idea how many staff are exclusively dedicated to the F1 effort.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3817700)   #53
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
As a matter of interest, are all 600 staff there just to support the F1 operation?

I know Williams have several other business interests, but I've no idea how many staff are exclusively dedicated to the F1 effort.
From an interesting interview with CW..

ttps://www.racefans.net/2018/04/18/williams-exclusive-its-not-what-you-have-its-how-you-spend-it/

“Of course we came into the season believing that we were going to turn things around. Maybe it’s a case of managing expectations. I don’t believe it’s as simple as just plugging in a few senior heads. This is a big organisation, there’s some 600 people working in our Formula One team.
“Obviously we’ve got issues that could be percolating with them, just at the senior, senior level and we need to address those issues. To say ‘It’s not where we wanted to be’ is the grossest understatement that you could imagine.” It is visibly as painful for Claire as it sounds.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3817736)   #54
littleman
Veteran

If the average salary is £50k then the payroll is £30 million per year.

I would think the money from Stroll and Sirotkin should cover that particular bill.
I don't know how much they receive from the Heritage Payments but I'm guessing it's considerable. Add the Martini money, plus other smaller sponsors, and I still think they'll be doing OK.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3817740)   #55
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!
I keep going back to the Williams documentary and thinking this is a fitting way for the team to be run. Frank was all business, kept his family at arms length, and was never as passionate about them as he was his team. Now Claire, who didn't get the passion from her father she should have, is running his team in a similar cold, business-like way as frank treated his family. Sort of turning the tables on Frank's way. I kinda like it.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3817742)   #56
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
If the average salary is £50k then the payroll is £30 million per year.

I would think the money from Stroll and Sirotkin should cover that particular bill.
I don't know how much they receive from the Heritage Payments but I'm guessing it's considerable. Add the Martini money, plus other smaller sponsors, and I still think they'll be doing OK.
Currently yes, but look ahead to 2019 - no Martini, less FOM income and maybe Stroll has walked - currently in FP2 at Baku he is telling them the car is undriveable...
Old 31 May 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3825822)   #57
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The plan, is to let go one of F1's best aerodynamicists. Sacked after only one season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...aves-team.html

Old 31 May 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3825826)   #58
ASCII Man
Veteran

Belgium
Leuven
ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!ASCII Man has a real shot at the podium!
Judging by the car, 'best aerodynamicist' is quite the stretch.

Old 31 May 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3825853)   #59
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!crmalcolm is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Judging by the car, 'best aerodynamicist' is quite the stretch.
He was definitely in the top 10 of aerodynamicists before he departed....

Although it was noted by a poster in the forum here that Ferrari benefitted in the aero department after he departed them too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
[...]new aero rules were introduced for 2017, [...] Ferrari benefitted from the rule change for sure.

Old 31 May 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3825856)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
How influential was he? It he wasn’t highly regarded at Ferrari, was he that good?