Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Feb 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2831311)   #1
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of Group B in Rallycross

I see in the other thread Lawrence won't be running the 6R4 again and is trying to purchase a Focus; sadly I think this hails the end of Group B cars in the top division of Rallycross world-wide unless the Doran RS200 makes an appearence! As a teenager these cars excited me as did the last time I saw Lawrences 6R4 at Lydden last year. For a bunch of cars to remain competitive over 3 decades is truly remarkable; thank you to all the drivers and teams for making it happen...........
Old 15 Feb 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2831408)   #2
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know the LHMC are planning to try and get an old rallycross cars, group b class going for the August BRC event at Lydden.

So hopefully the Gibson's 6R4's along with "Rosie" and i know James Harrold in "Peters" re-worked VW Beetle is planning to be there.!
Old 15 Feb 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2831482)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was the promise of seeing an RS200 in action that took me to my first British Rallycross event and I still curse myself that I wasn't old enough to appreciate rallycross when Group B cars were at their prime. As Thundersports says its incredible that these cars have continued to remain competitive for such a length of time.

Sadly I guess all things must come to an end, though I still live in hope that a rallycross RS200 will take to the track again one day, so it would be brilliant if some sort of historic race event was organised, just so we can savour the sight and sound of the classics together on track one more time.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2831543)   #4
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apropos historic RX races:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MartinZa...ssMelk2892008#
Old 15 Feb 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2831691)   #5
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out Andy Bentza in the Stratos.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2831730)   #6
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMadness View Post
Check out Andy Bentza in the Stratos.
The one and only 3.0 litre Stratos worldwide.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2831745)   #7
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always liked his Audi 80
Old 15 Feb 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2831763)   #8
rs 200
Racer

rs 200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFINGER View Post
Always liked his Audi 80
tommi's audis were good ,the sound was music,not like now days fart in a tin
Old 15 Feb 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2831841)   #9
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs 200 View Post
tommi's audis were good ,the sound was music,not like now days fart in a tin
Agree the Group B cars really sounded the business all with differeent engine notes even between the different 6R4s and RS200s.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2831875)   #10
sashchris
Rookie

England
newton aycliffe
sashchris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think anyone who was there in the early-mid 80,s during the heyday of both British and European rallycross should feel truly spoilt, there will never be days like those again, but i feel not only the group b cars are missed but also the variety of cars like 4x4 porsche 911,s Xtracs,A2 audis,beetles,porsche 959, renault alpine,stratos,lotus etc etc.
For me rallycross had a huge edge on rallying because of this variety and cars that you could only see in rallycross and the ingenuity of the guys then to take often quirky and different cars and make them into racing cars, i feel it would be good again to see this sort of route taken rather than the essentially WRC base cars we have currently
Old 16 Feb 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2832110)   #11
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashchris View Post
i think anyone who was there in the early-mid 80,s during the heyday of both British and European rallycross should feel truly spoilt, there will never be days like those again, but i feel not only the group b cars are missed but also the variety of cars like 4x4 porsche 911,s Xtracs,A2 audis,beetles,porsche 959, renault alpine,stratos,lotus etc etc.
For me rallycross had a huge edge on rallying because of this variety and cars that you could only see in rallycross and the ingenuity of the guys then to take often quirky and different cars and make them into racing cars, i feel it would be good again to see this sort of route taken rather than the essentially WRC base cars we have currently
I think many feel the same, but sadly it looks unlikely. The British Championship just is'nt big enough to go it's own way, so harmonisation with other Euro regs looks more and more likely. I think the idea of some kind of revival races are a good one, could catch on as historic motorsport in general is extremely popular in the UK. Are there enough cars still out there? Are some of them too valuable/rare to use in anger anymore? Are there enough spare parts out there to keep them running? Definitley worth a thinking about though, particularly if they could get 2 or 3 races going over the year.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2832343)   #12
rs 200
Racer

rs 200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there are any gp b and pre restricted cars about have a weekend at the euro circuit
how many left does anyone know
Old 3 Mar 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2839585)   #13
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see that the August retro races get a mention in Tim Wittington's latest post on the British Rallycross website.

http://www.britishrallycross.com/?p=2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wittington
The event is to be expanded to run over the Sunday and Monday and will include a separate category for classic cars including a separate section for Group B cars. Although there is no regular class for classic cars in Rallycross
Fingers crossed we will still get to see a Group B car (or two) on track!
Old 4 Mar 2011, 00:36 (Ref:2839944)   #14
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Let's hope so!