Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2021, 18:55 (Ref:4034333)   #2001
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really I think Sky have had their day. Although Channel 4 do a good job, I do miss the BBC coverage. We need live races to be shown on terrestrial more often than not in my view
Old 9 Feb 2021, 19:04 (Ref:4034335)   #2002
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Or they didn't want to pay for a Sky subscription on top of the TV License fee, not because they couldn't afford it.
I've said this before but I might as well repeat myself. I'm sure that the Sky coverage is very thorough and in-depth but I just don't have the time to watch ALL of it without being (even more) anti-social to my family so I cannot justify the cost of it just for that reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Really I think Sky have had their day. Although Channel 4 do a good job, I do miss the BBC coverage. We need live races to be shown on terrestrial more often than not in my view
I think the Channel 4 coverage has been (generally) excellent, especially now they appear to have dispensed with the services of Eddie Jordan! Again, due to family considerations I generally record the qualifying & race and ten watch them early the following morning on my own before anyone else gets up, so I can give the programme my undivided attention. The added bonus being that if I don't find parts of it interesting, I can fast-forward to where it does get interesting. The only drawback it that I do have to limit my internet access between recording & watching, plus steer clear of TV News (which we've been doing anyway since the pandemic started) just in case any potential surprises are ruined!
Old 9 Feb 2021, 19:54 (Ref:4034340)   #2003
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe somebody needs to point out to Liberty that operating behind a paywall means the teams can expect lower sponsorship rates because of the limited exposure that results.In addition, it limit the broadcasts to those who already have a subscription.A good amount of FTA coverage might attract a few more who are casually surfing the TV channels and who might go on to become serious enthusiasts.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 20:02 (Ref:4034342)   #2004
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think there is no point putting it behind a paywall. Sponsors need to be seen. Let’s have it back on the FTA service and it will benefit
Old 9 Feb 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4034351)   #2005
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think there is no point putting it behind a paywall. Sponsors need to be seen. Let’s have it back on the FTA service and it will benefit
Sponsors need to be seen...

FTA TV won't devote time to all sessions and so sponsors will only be visible in qually and Race. Coverage is always aimed at the pointy end, which means lesser teams and their sponsors get little TV time.

Subscription services covering all sessions where lesser teams may well get highlighted and discussed for several minutes at time with their sponsors fully on show, in addition to equally and race coverage.

It's not as straight forward as you think.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 21:21 (Ref:4034353)   #2006
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Maybe somebody needs to point out to Liberty that operating behind a paywall means the teams can expect lower sponsorship rates because of the limited exposure that results.In addition, it limit the broadcasts to those who already have a subscription.A good amount of FTA coverage might attract a few more who are casually surfing the TV channels and who might go on to become serious enthusiasts.

I know a number of people who used to casually watch F1 on FTA. Since it went behind the Sky pay wall, they don't. Quite often on a Sunday evening in the pub, before Covid, they would often ask me about that day's GP.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4034359)   #2007
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
In Germany F1 coverage moves from RTL (FTA) to Sky Deutschland, behind a paywall.
There goes my last (live) FTA option.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4034420)   #2008
P38 in workshop
Veteran

Mine too.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 10:25 (Ref:4034432)   #2009
S griffin
Veteran

Let's hope F1 manages to get enough TV coverage around the world for those who can afford it in the future
Old 10 Feb 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4034437)   #2010
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The C4 coverage is fine by me other than Steve Jones. He is annoying. Lee Mackenzie did a couple when he was away and she knows about F1.
I tend to switch on ten minutes before the start and then off just after the finish. I don't really do all the punditry.
Yes, sponsors need to be seen and a paywall stops that.
it could end up like the WRC where only the works teams who pay for the coverage are shown. These days you would think there were only 8 cars in a WRC round!
Old 10 Feb 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4034449)   #2011
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
The C4 coverage is fine by me other than Steve Jones. He is annoying. Lee Mackenzie did a couple when he was away and she knows about F1.
Interesting - I think Steve Jones is great on the CH4 coverage, he isn't there to be an expert (and doesn't try to be) but to smoothly link everything else together nudge the experts in the right direction if they're veering off topic - and he's very good at that. It was the same with the "On the marbles" podcast they did for a while - Steve anchoring it and guiding it along but getting the best out of the other contributors in the process.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4034457)   #2012
P38 in workshop
Veteran

I can't say I object to Steve Jones as he does link together the racing and the peripheral stuff quite well.In fact I found that by watching the C4 highlights last year I was getting more done on a Sunday as the boring parts of the on track action were skipped over.the hard part was avoiding websites and new broadcasts until the highlights were shown.If they could show the broadcast at say 8 o'clock on race day it would be great.During the odd times when Top Gear is on in opposition,the +1 option would be useful.Lets just hope there are some highlights worth watching this year.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4034566)   #2013
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Let's hope F1 manages to get enough TV coverage around the world for those who can afford it in the future
Actually, to solve this problem, we should hope viewing figures drop like a stone.
Otherwise, they think they are doing the right thing by putting everything behind a paywall
Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4034569)   #2014
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Sponsors need to be seen...

FTA TV won't devote time to all sessions and so sponsors will only be visible in qually and Race. Coverage is always aimed at the pointy end, which means lesser teams and their sponsors get little TV time.

Subscription services covering all sessions where lesser teams may well get highlighted and discussed for several minutes at time with their sponsors fully on show, in addition to equally and race coverage.

It's not as straight forward as you think.

When IndyCar when to cable subscription, in the early years of the IRL running the series, a lot of sponsors jumped ship and went to NASCAR.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4043150)   #2015
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So clearly Natalie Pinkum reckons if you are 60 and over you must be a Tekno dunce judging by her comments to Chandock about texting. Bad news love you may always dress like an 18 year old but one day you will be 60!...../
Old 26 Mar 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4043163)   #2016
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And if Crofty had said it? And let’s face it he often says silly things.

It’s not as bad as dismissing people for how they look when they are 60.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 Mar 2021 at 02:38.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4043248)   #2017
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Croft clearly irked by not doing Fp1 tried his utmost to impose himself in fp2 judging by the increased OTT cringeworthy statements and challenging the drivers in the box with him.
When is he going to realise (or be reminded) it's not all about him!! 🙈
Old 27 Mar 2021, 16:16 (Ref:4043299)   #2018
S griffin
Veteran

Wow, Palmer really didn’t hold back on Mazepin in his commentary on BBC Five Live Sports Extra
Old 27 Mar 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4043318)   #2019
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Wow, Palmer really didn’t hold back on Mazepin in his commentary on BBC Five Live Sports Extra

He certainly didn't and not once but twice. First time just after the incident and again, just before they went off the air.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 06:17 (Ref:4043361)   #2020
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was this the first time ad breaks were inserted between the different qualifying sessions?
Old 28 Mar 2021, 10:00 (Ref:4043376)   #2021
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Was this the first time ad breaks were inserted between the different qualifying sessions?
On Sky? Yes, I think it is, certainly the first time in recent years anyway.

Gotta monetize those eyeballs!
Old 28 Mar 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4043573)   #2022
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Yes , I don’t remember ad breaks last season (I may be wrong) and I was a little disappointed
Old 28 Mar 2021, 21:28 (Ref:4043598)   #2023
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So clearly Natalie Pinkum reckons if you are 60 and over you must be a Tekno dunce judging by her comments to Chandock about texting. Bad news love you may always dress like an 18 year old but one day you will be 60!...../
This pensioner is raging!
Old 29 Mar 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4043676)   #2024
S griffin
Veteran

So what did everyone think of Alex Jacques debut on C4? Obviously it was gonna be hard to follow in the footsteps of someone like Ben Edwards, but overall I thought he did quite well. His commentary seems a bit understated, but it's effective. Seems to speak in a monotone voice, only really raising his tone when the situation demands, but never being shouty like Crofty. Also very good at knowing what was happening, don't think I ever heard him make one blunder and certainly did communicate well with Billy and DC

So already I would say I am of fan of his commentary. Although I would loved to know how Murray and James called the race from the great commentary box in the sky!
Old 29 Mar 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4043697)   #2025
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought he did a good job. He has a powerful voice and needs to be careful he doesn't sound too overly expressive or loud, as he would risk becoming like Crofty. My wife initially wasn't too keen and described him as being too much like a bingo caller.

Tags
pinks