Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Mar 2017, 04:12 (Ref:3721744)   #126
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I find that incredible considering SVGs obvious ability and his penchant for driving and winning in multiple categories around the world.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 07:37 (Ref:3721773)   #127
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
I feel if lowndes leaves that team will have big problems, we may say that a sponsor will stay for Whincup but that may not be as true as we think. I know with Van Gisbergan he had to be put in with Jamie, it was set to be Lowndes/ Whincup and then SVG, promote SVG to join Whincup when Lowndes retired but due to no sponsor wanting to back SVG they had to have him with Whincup. Lowndes is the attraction for sponsors and Roland should know it. The amount of sponsors that would leave would be a disaster for Triple 8. Even with Red Bull and Holden they still would struggle to stay with Penske you would think
So you know this for a fact Mceci?

So I guess the fact the Red Bull also personally sponsor [as in pay money] to SVG would mean that they were not one of the sponsors that to quote you "no sponsor wanting to back SVG?

So instead maybe you should say "other than Red Bull no other sponsor wanted to back SVG".

By the way you might also have noticed that the Giltrap Group and Smeg appear on SVG helmet as his personal sponsor's so I guess they must also not be aware how un-sponsorable SVG is?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3721809)   #128
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SVG fits the Red Bull image perfectly. Way more than Lowndes ever did or ever would.

I don't know anyone at Red Bull, but I'm tipping the marketing boffins would be pretty wrapped to have him.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2017, 05:53 (Ref:3722057)   #129
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again the armchair experts are at it. I understand why LD left this group when all people do is knock anyone else down, especially if they like the driver. I know for a fact that SVG was put with Whincup for sponsorship reasons due to knowing someone who works in the team. The plan was to have JW and Lowndes together and SVG in car 3 set to replace Lowndes. If Smeg is his sponsor it would be through partnering Simon Evans, the know it all's here seem to forget that Shane races with Simon in the Kiwi tourers who is sponsored by Smeg as a major one. I also think that Giltrap Group is on Simon's car, not 100% sure. Also to the people who say 'he races overseas he must attract sponsors' grow the hell up. Anyone like SVG would be signed to race with the TEAM. The team has the sponsor most of the time, not Shane. Honestly this place seems to be lacking something given that some people are working In teams or have. As far as I am aware they haven't been a spud and be hypocritical. To Driver TBA are you serious, Shane fitting in more than Craig with a sponsor, pretty silly comment given that Craig is up there with the most valued sportspeople for sponsorship representation. Already covered what I have to say to Mark Petch and mayhem and in regards to go harder's comment, I am not able to divulge who gave me this information. I now understand why some people keep queit around armchair know it all's because you cant say anything. To be honest this doesn't bother me as I know the facts and other people just want to stick up for Van Puntsbergan, but someone had to say it in regards to some people's comments, to the people who don't carry on when the read something they don't like then this is unfortunate that you had to see this, but like I say it had to be said
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3722066)   #130
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few paragraph breaks would make that a lot easier to read...
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3722068)   #131
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, sponsors hate guys that get poles, win races and championships, all while getting massive amounts of coverage due to an epic, on the edge driving style.
To be fair, I don't really recall seeing the 97 car on TV at all last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3722073)   #132
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Once again the armchair experts are at it. I understand why LD left this group when all people do is knock anyone else down, especially if they like the driver. I know for a fact that SVG was put with Whincup for sponsorship reasons due to knowing someone who works in the team. The plan was to have JW and Lowndes together and SVG in car 3 set to replace Lowndes. If Smeg is his sponsor it would be through partnering Simon Evans, the know it all's here seem to forget that Shane races with Simon in the Kiwi tourers who is sponsored by Smeg as a major one. I also think that Giltrap Group is on Simon's car, not 100% sure. Also to the people who say 'he races overseas he must attract sponsors' grow the hell up. Anyone like SVG would be signed to race with the TEAM. The team has the sponsor most of the time, not Shane. Honestly this place seems to be lacking something given that some people are working In teams or have. As far as I am aware they haven't been a spud and be hypocritical. To Driver TBA are you serious, Shane fitting in more than Craig with a sponsor, pretty silly comment given that Craig is up there with the most valued sportspeople for sponsorship representation. Already covered what I have to say to Mark Petch and mayhem and in regards to go harder's comment, I am not able to divulge who gave me this information. I now understand why some people keep queit around armchair know it all's because you cant say anything. To be honest this doesn't bother me as I know the facts and other people just want to stick up for Van Puntsbergan, but someone had to say it in regards to some people's comments, to the people who don't carry on when the read something they don't like then this is unfortunate that you had to see this, but like I say it had to be said
If you are referring to me as an "armchair expert" you could not be more wrong, I spend more time at the race track than most competitors. I own the new Smeg racing Audi R8 LMS car, part own the Smeg V8 Supertourer, run 30 Ssangyong utes for a very diverse range of drivers over 6 race meeting's, and also sit on the SOG's committee that organise's the Premier NZ Summer Series.

In between all that I own two GpA Historic cars including the John Bowe ex Australian Volvo Team car, which I ran for JB at Phillip Island 10 days ago. I also still drive myself in New Zealand historic events.

Oh and by the way SVG drove with Simon Evan's for just 3 V8ST Endurance races back in 2014.

I guess I should also declare that one of my companies Racer Products are also small personal sponsors of SVG, with his non RedBull OMP gear.

So what's your role in motor racing Mceci1?

Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3722076)   #133
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, MP - good day for smackdowns it turns out...
Old 28 Mar 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3722079)   #134
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Once again the armchair experts are at it. I understand why LD left this group when all people do is knock anyone else down, especially if they like the driver. I know for a fact that SVG was put with Whincup for sponsorship reasons due to knowing someone who works in the team.
And perhaps you need to think about what you post in a public space. Surely you know that what you posted was inflammatory, and was always going to get questions and comments? If this discussion was a bunch of blokes sitting around a table at a pub instead of being a faceless internet discussion - and you made the same allegation, you would be pretty naive if you thought people would let that comment go through to the keeper.

I don't know what happened at 888 when SVG was signed, and it might well have been sponsor related. However, it could just have easily been Caltex saying "we want Lowndes", which would have produced the same result for an entirely different reason.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3722080)   #135
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it is a bit of a ridiculous discussion really - my opinion only but I think Shane's personality, charisma, competitive outlets & driving style and talent make him absolutely 100% one of the best fits for Red Bull in the entire field, bar none.

I wouldn't have even been a bit surprised if Shane's signing and Craig's move into the Caltex car came about because Red Bull wanted someone younger and edgier who wears their cap backwards...

I'm pretty sure if you had a blank slate, and a marketing manager for a company like Red Bull had to pick what driver represented them the best - Shane is a lock for the top 2 no matter who the other driver might be.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3722085)   #136
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
If you are referring to me as an "armchair expert" you could not be more wrong, I spend more time at the race track than most competitors. I own the new Smeg racing Audi R8 LMS car, part own the Smeg V8 Supertourer, run 30 Ssangyong utes for a very diverse range of drivers over 6 race meeting's, and also sit on the SOG's committee that organise's the Premier NZ Summer Series.

In between all that I own two GpA Historic cars including the John Bowe ex Australian Volvo Team car, which I ran for JB at Phillip Island 10 days ago. I also still drive myself in New Zealand historic events.

Oh and by the way SVG drove with Simon Evan's for just 3 V8ST Endurance races back in 2014.

I guess I should also declare that one of my companies Racer Products are also small personal sponsors of SVG, with his non RedBull OMP gear.

So what's your role in motor racing Mceci1?

I have family members that work in PRA. I have people I know who are working with Triple 8. I also have my uncle and his nephews who helped sponsor Matt Campbell as well. Matt Campbell I have no issue with an is a very nice person.

On top of this I have been talking with Craig, Lee Holdsworth and Chaz Mostert about a career in V8s as my current aim is to get in driving, if not join a team on an apprenticeship or something like that. My parents and their friends do racing regularly also.

I may be younger and I am not at all bringing age into this but I still have some knowledge, not everything about everyone. I have been told in the past information that hasn't been released to the media and wont.

On the point of SVG. People who honestly open there eyes will see what his attitude is like. Numerous times he has run into people in iracing, yes its a sim but that isn't the point when its intentional. Then we look at Melbourne, he was quick to have a go at Chaz. You are involved with Racing Mark, so when you have SVG turning down on you closing the gap what can you do. Yes racing incident, but Shanes comments were out of order. But no for everyone else who watch TV its blame the young gun for having ago, yet Shane can rotate Frosty like he did at Homebush and its not SVG at fault, its Frosty, or in 2015 its not SVG's fault its Courtneys. When in both instances SVG was in the wrong and clearly stuffed up.

I once supported him but since his Holden days he has gotten to cocky for his talent, yes he has a huge amount of it but his attitude to the fans isn't right. I am not a massive fan of Jamie, but for a 6 time champion, 100 race winner and 4 time Bathurst winner he is pretty modest, Craig Lowndes even more for what he has achieved which many would say he is the best of the modern era despite what the numbers say. You can be a 8 time champion, but if you don't have the respect of the public and competitors it means very little.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3722096)   #137
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh please stop
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3722097)   #138
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different strokes for different blokes, mceci1.

I have always found SVG to be a pretty humble guy, but he may have changed now he his number 1.
He may have a little bit more pressure on him from sponsors and media demands.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3722102)   #139
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Thanks, MP - good day for smackdowns it turns out...
Where is the "Like" button?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3722104)   #140
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I have always found SVG to be a pretty humble guy, but he may have changed now he his number 1. He may have a little bit more pressure on him from sponsors and media demands.
Personally I think he has gotten calmer and less likely to make inflammatory comments recently - but he also hit the sport at a VERY young age.

I don't know how good many of us would be with people thrusting a mike in our faces in the heat of the moment.

I'm sure we could all come up with moments where we acted like complete ********s, imagine if there was a camera in our face to record it every time?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3722107)   #141
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Personally I think he has gotten calmer and less likely to make inflammatory comments recently - but he also hit the sport at a VERY young age.

I don't know how good many of us would be with people thrusting a mike in our faces in the heat of the moment.

I'm sure we could all come up with moments where we acted like complete ********s, imagine if there was a camera in our face to record it every time?
True in saying that though, Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes seem to deal with it pretty well. I say those two because they are from the same team with the same pressure.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3722128)   #142
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
To Driver TBA are you serious, Shane fitting in more than Craig with a sponsor, pretty silly comment given that Craig is up there with the most valued sportspeople for sponsorship representation.

For this particular sponsor (Red Bull) he fits the sponsors image better than Lowndes.
Like Caltex is probably a better fit for Lowndes than SVG.

Quote:
I once supported him but since his Holden days he has gotten to cocky for his talent
So what you're saying is you've never forgiven him for leaving SBR / Ford???

Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3722131)   #143
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
For this particular sponsor (Red Bull) he fits the sponsors image better than Lowndes.
Like Caltex is probably a better fit for Lowndes than SVG.

So what you're saying is you've never forgiven him for leaving SBR / Ford???

he didnt leave SBR / Ford, he left Erebus / Mercedes
Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3722135)   #144
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
he didnt leave SBR / Ford, he left Erebus / Mercedes
You know what I mean.

"So what you're saying is you've never forgiven him for not driving a Ford anymore???"

Fixed.

Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3722139)   #145
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
You know what I mean.

"So what you're saying is you've never forgiven him for not driving a Ford anymore???"
While its not me who made this comment, the fact is he didnt leave Ford. he had was signed up to race a mercedes. People were not upset with that.

So no, No one is upset with him leaving Ford, because he didnt leave them
Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3722140)   #146
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
While its not me who made this comment, the fact is he didnt leave Ford. he had was signed up to race a mercedes. People were not upset with that.

So no, No one is upset with him leaving Ford, because he didnt leave them
I'm nitpicking I know, but his 2013 contract was part of his original signing with SBR/Ford.
Erebus announced their intention to purchase SBR in Sept 2012.
Later in 2012 SVG announces his "retirement"
Erebus purchase not completed and official until 8.1.2013.
per Speedcafe article

Would be more correct to have said he SVG left SBR/Ford because of the Erebus/AMG future, notwithstanding his publicised reason for "retiring".
Old 28 Mar 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3722207)   #147
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three things to think about mceci; if SVG is loathed by sponsors, why would anyone risk exposing him to their primary sponsor.... if there isn't a sole business wanting to sponsor him, how come both of his previous teams appear to have lost backing following his departure, not gained sugnifucantly..... and if he's just the worst in the eyes of sponsors, why do they continually use him in PR.....
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3722256)   #148
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
I'm nitpicking I know, but his 2013 contract was part of his original signing with SBR/Ford.
Erebus announced their intention to purchase SBR in Sept 2012.
Later in 2012 SVG announces his "retirement"
Erebus purchase not completed and official until 8.1.2013.
per Speedcafe article

Would be more correct to have said he SVG left SBR/Ford because of the Erebus/AMG future, notwithstanding his publicised reason for "retiring".
probably right from SVG's point of view, but the question was about mceci1 disliking him because he left Ford, From ford fans point of view he was already leaving Ford and Ford fans angst was not againt SVG for leaving Ford
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:31 (Ref:3722267)   #149
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whincup says AGP shouldnt be for championship points - Speedcafe

I bow to Jamie's experience and knowledge, but I'm lost in his reasoning on this.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3722275)   #150
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Whincup says AGP shouldnt be for championship points - Speedcafe

I bow to Jamie's experience and knowledge, but I'm lost in his reasoning on this.
He seems to think that everyone is already trying hard, that they shouldn't complicate it with championship points. Perhaps we should take championship points away from all the rounds
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House