Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3834071)   #51
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I found it rather ironic (in a good way) that now team orders are legal, Ferrari declined to use them. When they were illegal, they used them at every opportunity, and usually got away with it. Different team principal now of course, so well done Mr Arrivabene.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3834072)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
That was a good race, but I'm still finding myself irritated by the lap that everyone had to drive through a CGI Budweiser star. I know it was about 20 seconds of screen time, but I really hate that sort of thing, the camera lying about things on the track. And Budweiser's horrible.
I completely missed that, which lap was it? As it was the Red Bull ring, why didn't they have a CGI Red Bull?
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3834076)   #53
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
That was a good race, but I'm still finding myself irritated by the lap that everyone had to drive through a CGI Budweiser star. I know it was about 20 seconds of screen time, but I really hate that sort of thing, the camera lying about things on the track. And Budweiser's horrible.
Real Budweiser is supposed to be very good. It's just the American stuff that is semi-frozen gnat's psss.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3834077)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I found it rather ironic (in a good way) that now team orders are legal, Ferrari declined to use them. When they were illegal, they used them at every opportunity, and usually got away with it. Different team principal now of course, so well done Mr Arrivabene.
I think if they had used it, Kimi would have had to slow down considerably, to let Vettel pass and there would have been howls of derision.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3834079)   #55
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Last time we had a Mercedes double mechanical DNF was Italy 1955!
Thought I should qualify this comment by adding that they also managed to take a 1-2 win. Fangio anf Taruffi took the top two places, but Mercedes had a 4 car entry... the two cars entered for Moss and Kling had engine and gearbox failures respectively.

So a 1-2 and a double mechanical DNF in the same race.

They also had a (3 car) front row lockout in this race. It was the last last race before Mercedes had their long break from F1.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3834080)   #56
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Real Budweiser is supposed to be very good. It's just the American stuff that is semi-frozen gnat's psss.
I'm sure the marketing department at Heineken International are glad that their efforts in getting their famous red star superimposed onto an F1 race has resulted in debates over the merits of Anheuser-Busch Budweiser vs Budvar Budweiser!!!!!
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3834087)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm sure the marketing department at Heineken International are glad that their efforts in getting their famous red star superimposed onto an F1 race has resulted in debates over the merits of Anheuser-Busch Budweiser vs Budvar Budweiser!!!!!
Apparently the UK is the only country in the world where the Czech and US versions of Budweiser can legally call themselves Budweiser. Otherwise depending on which country, if it's Czech Budweiser then the US version is called Bud and if it's US Budweiser, then it's Czech Budwar.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3834093)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Apparently the UK is the only country in the world where the Czech and US versions of Budweiser can legally call themselves Budweiser. Otherwise depending on which country, if it's Czech Budweiser then the US version is called Bud and if it's US Budweiser, then it's Czech Budwar.

I know which one I think would have looked better on the race track.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3834278)   #59
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Intersting only 3 cars on the lead lap.
Theres daylight between the top 3 teams and the rest of the teams.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3834290)   #60
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That seems to be overstating it somewhat. They were all over the kerbs, as usual. They just seemed to have worked out which ones were damaging and which ones were meaningless.
You could hear Hamilton's car rapidly gaining and losing traction in the run off area, like when you run over sharks tooth kerbs, I think that it may be the reason for the Mercedes' ultimate failure.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3834292)   #61
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Intersting only 3 cars on the lead lap.
Theres daylight between the top 3 teams and the rest of the teams.
There was another really interesting overtake between corners 3 and 4 on the first lap of the race, Bottas had been shuffled back to 4th, but then just drove round the outside of both Kimi and Max like they were looking for parking!

????!!!!

I don't know quite what to make of it.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3834295)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Don’t forget this is a short lap, so more cars are bound to be lapped
Old 2 Jul 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3834305)   #63
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There was another really interesting overtake between corners 3 and 4 on the first lap of the race, Bottas had been shuffled back to 4th, but then just drove round the outside of both Kimi and Max like they were looking for parking!

????!!!!

I don't know quite what to make of it.
It is unusual to see a double overtake, but they did show the replay later in the coverage which showed how it happened.

Kimi ran wide on the corner exit, lost momentum and then crossed in front of Max, slowing him down as well, allowing Bottas to drive around the outside of both.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3834306)   #64
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It is unusual to see a double overtake, but they did show the replay later in the coverage which showed how it happened.

Kimi ran wide on the corner exit, lost momentum and then crossed in front of Max, slowing him down as well, allowing Bottas to drive around the outside of both.
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3834307)   #65
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hopefully I was not mansplaining! I was equally confused at first.

On another topic, I'm enjoying Charles LeClerc and Sauber's recent performances. Its refreshing to see them battling with the midfield. Double points this time - yes of course helped by mechanical breakdowns to others.

I wonder how much assistance they are getting from Ferrari? I also wonder whether the Sauber name will continue, or will they be renamed Alfa at some point?
Old 2 Jul 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3834308)   #66
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Raikkonen was actually investigated for going off and gaining time, twice. But since both Verstappen and Bottas overtook him anyway they dropped it. Bit crap, in my opinion.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3834321)   #67
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
I think if they had used it, Kimi would have had to slow down considerably, to let Vettel pass and there would have been howls of derision.
Yes indeed, but it didn't stop them before. Think Barrichello and Schumacher at this very same track.

Personally I hate team orders; to me a driver can only be credited with what he has achieved himself (along with his engineers and mechanics of course), not what he has been gifted by another competitor. But having said that, if I were a team principal I'm sure there would be times when I would feel obliged to put the good of the team above other considerations. That's why we need water-tight rules, firmly enforced.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3834324)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Ferrari obviously realise that got a bit too arrogant in Austria 02 and obviously don’t want to repeat that mistake. If Vettel was faster, I’m sure Kimi wouldn’t have made it too hard to pass
Old 2 Jul 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3834325)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yes indeed, but it didn't stop them before. Think Barrichello and Schumacher at this very same track.

Personally I hate team orders; to me a driver can only be credited with what he has achieved himself (along with his engineers and mechanics of course), not what he has been gifted by another competitor. But having said that, if I were a team principal I'm sure there would be times when I would feel obliged to put the good of the team above other considerations. That's why we need water-tight rules, firmly enforced.
I remember Barrichello and Schumacher all too well, as I'm sure Maurizio Arrivabene does. Apart from Ferrari and Schumi's domination of F1, that was one reason I stopped actively following F1 for a couple of years, so I'm glad it didn't happen again.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3834367)   #70
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
I remember Barrichello and Schumacher all too well, as I'm sure Maurizio Arrivabene does. Apart from Ferrari and Schumi's domination of F1, that was one reason I stopped actively following F1 for a couple of years, so I'm glad it didn't happen again.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3834414)   #71
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So did a quick count of the points scored for the three top teams in the last three and five races.

VET: 50 80
HAM: 35 75
RAI: 41 53
RIC: 24 59
VER: 58 75
BOT: 22 50
Old 3 Jul 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3834427)   #72
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The point being?
Old 3 Jul 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3834429)   #73
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
The point being?

If the trend continuous it could become an unexpected three way fight for the championship.

AMS did an article on this beginning of June: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...tappen-fehler/

If we add the points of the last three races to the table at the bottom of the article the standing would look like this:

VET: 157
VER: 148
HAM: 130

Now I'm not really interested in what if scenarios, the point being that the rest of the season might look quite different than many expect.

Last edited by Taxi645; 3 Jul 2018 at 12:14.
Old 3 Jul 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3834431)   #74
S griffin
Veteran

I hope so, we could do with more drivers fighting for the title
Old 3 Jul 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3834447)   #75
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Red Bull will need for Hamilton and Vettel to have a lot more breakdowns or crashes before either of their drivers are in with a chance in the WDC.