Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:32 (Ref:45240)   #26
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya was worth the gamble last year, when he was a replacement for Zanardi, but certainly not for Button. Frank is replacing a proven driver that only gets better every race with one that has never started a race. I think Frank is making a mistake, but only time will tell.

We now have about 2 months with nothing to talk about....ahg......!!!
Old 27 Oct 2000, 22:27 (Ref:45283)   #27
Dani
Rookie

Dani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm Ralf will will do just fine against Juan Godly!! Just wait and see!!! U all think Ralf needs us people to stick up 4 him!! Well he dont but as fans we r gonna stick up 4 him, not that he needs it!!
Old 28 Oct 2000, 04:06 (Ref:45329)   #28
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Anyone here paying attention to the qualifing at Fontana?
Obie Juan ran a lap at 242mph in practice. Thats the fastest lap ever run on a closed circut. It's an oval,but thats real fast. If your ever lucky enough to stand close to the circut,you can feel the shock wave the cars make as they pass by. Nothing else in racing can compare to it.
Thrilling and frightening at the same time.The speed these cars lap is unbelievable!

Old 28 Oct 2000, 08:35 (Ref:45341)   #29
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ralf’s Girl!

Ok let me explain the comment I made about Alesi. He has been the last driver who has really made me go “WOW!” when he made his debut. I am talking about the few races he did in 89 when he was still in F3000 as well as his Legendary first season. If he had gone to Willims.....

Button is still too “green” he has not had enough “racing.” I think Frank is doing the correct thing in letting him do his learning in another team. I am growing tired of the Button / Senna comparison. Senna's debut season was sensational, comparatively Button’s was not. If Button’s talent is approaching “Senna like Levels” it stands to reason that he would have out paced Ralf all season. There is no way you can convince me that Ralf is in the same echelon of drivers that Senna is in.

Ralf may be fast but I do not think he is WDC material in the same way as Montoya. I have seen the guy race and he literally took my breath away. Looking at his in car camera for Elkhart Lake in comparison to the other drivers made it look like someone had pressed fast-forward! I have it on tape and if you have not seen it the closest thing I could compare it to is the famous in-car footage of Senna’s Pole lap from Monaco in 1990. (see URL if you have not seen the footage)

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep.../F1gallery.htm

From what I have read Ralf seems to be scared of Montoya, believing him to be a bigger threat than Button.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 09:36 (Ref:45347)   #30
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't agree (I know I'm biased, but I wouldn't agree anyway!). All Ralf has done is answer the question he was asked, and what he said was true. We don't know for certain that Montoya will just be great straight off the way a lot of people are saying. Perhaps Ralf does believe Montoya to be a bigger threat than Button, but that doesn't mean he's scared of him.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 10:56 (Ref:45363)   #31
Tris
Racer

Hey I am not sure if Juan P' will be fully up to speed from the first race.

I just have to say that Montoya is the type of driver I like. I followed him in F3000 when Zonta was kicking his butt and look at what Zonta has been doing. I have always liked Montoya. I hope he makes Frank Williams critics eat their words.

I think Montoya's gun hoe attitude will serve him well. If he gets into a physiological battle with Ralf I do not envision Ralf coming out on top. I do not think that Ralf is stirring up trouble purposefully. If he did it would be a mistake. Head and William's respect for Montoya is huge. The only other driver that has commanded a similar amount of adulation from them was Alan Jones and that is REALLY saying something!
Old 28 Oct 2000, 12:27 (Ref:45387)   #32
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya is clearly a rare talent and seems worth the gamble while BMW-Williams are still in the developmental phase.

Sure, but the gamble with Jenson Button more than paid off for Frank Williams. Does Jenson need more time. Yes, even by his own admission. Is Montoya a sure bet above Jenson, tell me how this is so and then I'll agree.

As for Ralf (or is that Ralph?) he promised so much so young. If you compare his first season in F1 with Jenson's well you'd be certifiable to back Ralfie wouldn't you. Whether you are his girl, mother, Brother (God forbid) or anyone else.

I have thought of a little wagger on F1 next year. How about a $10 donation to UNICEF or whoever from those who back Jaun for a finish in a race ahead of Jenson and visa versa?

It could be interesting.,

Regards

Old 28 Oct 2000, 23:38 (Ref:45480)   #33
Dani
Rookie

I wouldn't waste my money on them two ewwwwwwwww i wont use the word i was gonna!! Ralf will thrash them both!!
Old 29 Oct 2000, 02:23 (Ref:45499)   #34
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, i like Juan's "ME-BEST" attitude...just like Michael. But i doubt the need for him to make big statements and get the global attention before the season starts. If he went well next year...it'll be alright. But what happens if he turn out to be struggling? It would be like BAR on their first season...a big laugh and lots of embarassment.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 06:58 (Ref:45512)   #35
Tris
Racer

Montoya has been at it again

Juan-Pablo Montoya has again added fuel to the fire regarding Ralf Schumacher, and whether or not they will get on at Williams next season.

Montoya and Schumacher have been sniping at each other ever since the German questioned Williams' decision to let Jenson Button move on.

Reigning ChampCar champion Montoya said he would be happy to get along with Schumacher but was resigned to the likelihood that the pair would not
mix.

"I don't know Ralf, so I don't have a problem with it," said Montoya. "I don't think I'm going to Williams to have a great relationship.

"It would be nice because it's going to be much better off for the team."

Montoya advised Schumacher to take the matter up with Frank Williams if he was unhappy with his new team-mate.

"Frank decided I was to drive the car, it's not his (Schumacher's) decision. It's not his team," the Colombian said.

Whatever happens between the pair, Montoya said it would not distract him from his racing.

"My job is to drive the car as fast as I can and put it on top. That's what I'm going to try to do."

Old 29 Oct 2000, 13:35 (Ref:45565)   #36
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

Who do you all say has been stirring it now???
Old 29 Oct 2000, 14:29 (Ref:45572)   #37
Dani
Rookie

Im sorry but Michael does not have that "ME-BEST" attidude!! I mean he has never said he is the best, and when asked he says it is not 4 him to judge!!
Old 29 Oct 2000, 16:35 (Ref:45592)   #38
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
You can argue that Dani, but it's the apparent arrogance he has (whether he's really arrogant or not) that makes him seem as though he thinks he's more important and better than everyone else.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:48 (Ref:45610)   #39
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amoffat, Montoya isn't a sure bet above Jenson, and i never said he was. However, next year, Williams will have driving for them, and experienced and talented veteran whose first victory cannot be far away; an experienced and very mercurial talent who is yet unproven in F1, but who has accomplished enough to merit serious interest; and on loan to another team to garner more experience, a young though talented driver who could use some polishing.

All around, Williams wins. For the 2003 season, Frank and Patrick will have their choice of three very talented and by then experienced drivers. Had Williams not taken Montoya, there was the risk that he might become a serious for some other team. It has been shrewdly thought out.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 23:28 (Ref:45767)   #40
Dani
Rookie

Ralf's girl i refuse to get into anymore arguments over Michael with u!!!

The fact is i like him so im gonna see the good side u dont so u r gonna see the bad side!!! Hope u understand!!
Old 30 Oct 2000, 11:44 (Ref:45840)   #41
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EERO - it all depends on the title of the thread doesn't it?
Old 30 Oct 2000, 20:13 (Ref:45954)   #42
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani
Ralf's girl i refuse to get into anymore arguments over Michael with u!!!
Hmm...smart idea.
Old 31 Oct 2000, 01:02 (Ref:46005)   #43
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya

Hi!!

I think we should all just listen to what Tris has to say!!!! This girl knows what she is talking about!!!

Seeya!!
Old 31 Oct 2000, 06:57 (Ref:46023)   #44
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf's Girl, you may perceive Michael to be arrogant and perhaps you are correct. But the difference between him and Juan is that he has proved himself. I think Michael has earned the right, if he so feels, to excercise some degree of arrogance. However, I honestly beleive that he has chosen not to, and confidence rather than arrogance is what he displays. Montoya himself seems to be in the same mould, and confidence is something I admire. I know this is not taken well by most of us who like our drivers humble, but I welcome him with open arms, and I beleive in due time we will realise that it is through confidence and not arrogance from which he speaks.

Quote:
To be one's self, and unafraid whether right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformity.
—Irving Wallace
Old 31 Oct 2000, 07:14 (Ref:46024)   #45
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DANI...please believe me... I LOVE SCHUMACHER EVERY BID... i even went to the extent of including him in my General Paper Exams..something about role models...AND I GOT THE HIGHEST IN MY CLASS...heheh...

Well, Michael might not have the "ME-BEST" attitude..but he is the BEST driver among the current crop, and one of the BEST ever...NO??

FERRARI AND SCHUEY RULEZ~
Old 31 Oct 2000, 11:35 (Ref:46049)   #46
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT_R,looking at the last statement I can understand why you topped the class. Keep up the words of wisdom.
Old 31 Oct 2000, 12:34 (Ref:46055)   #47
timo
Rookie

timo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya will do the same in F1 zhat he did in Indy
win races and maybe the WDC, but you know that
even the best drvier in the world (for many TGF) tke
five years in a top team to do it, so Montoya as
as a litle time to prove-it to evbdy
Go Juan Go
Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:00 (Ref:46238)   #48
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya
Hi!!

I think we should all just listen to what Tris has to say!!!! This girl knows what she is talking about!!!

Girl?????????

well, he *does* have long hair!
Old 2 Nov 2000, 00:32 (Ref:46272)   #49
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Juan Pablo is correct - if Ralf has a problem about who his teammate is to be, it's up to him to discuss it with Frank, not with Juan Pablo. They have not been betrothed; they have been hired to do a job. It's for Juan Pablo to do his job and Ralf to do his own job, and see who comes out on the podium at the end of the day.

And I will give $25 to "Operation Christmas Child" if Button Spice gets a podium finish before Juan Pablo does - and double that if he gets one before Ralf!
Old 2 Nov 2000, 05:01 (Ref:46308)   #50
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the rivalry between the two is being established by the media and not Juan or Ralf. They have both proved to be very good drivers, but Juan is unproven in F1. I have seen them both race live, and they both push their respective cars to the physical limit. Only time will tell where they stand, so there is little point in debating it or having this phony war of words.

Liz, I wouldn't expect Button to have a better season than Juan next year, as Juan will most likely have a much better car. If Button does do better than Juan, then Juan will probably have to go back to Cart.