Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Aug 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2530304)   #276
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeV View Post
CC3 has gone to a new home! And her new owner plans to restore her back to her original Jeff Allam condition

Of course, I'm sad to see her go, having owned her for almost exactly 10 years, but she's only going as far as Wigan, for the time being...

I'm passing the new owner details of this thread, so hopefully he'll join up & be asking millions of questions anytime soon
Good stuff Ade, thanks for letting us know!

We all wait with great anticipation news from the new owner as the car goes through it's restoration!!

Wonder of Ric Wood will be asked to do some of the prep work?
Old 24 Sep 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2547633)   #277
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grahan Wait car

I came across this thread while making a Google search on racing Capris,
and have throughly enjoyed reading it.

With regard to post #224 , I've attached a photo of Graham Wait's car,
pre-X Pack, taken at Knockhill in September 1991. At that time, it was
competing in the Scottish Modified Sports & Saloon events.
It also appeared in the Gresham Spartan Sports & Saloon series.

There was an ex Graham Goode car competing in Scottish races a couple
of years earlier. I've had a quick look, but am unable to find information in my mountain of papers. Will keep searching...
Attached Thumbnails
Graham Wait_Knockhill_Sept 1991.jpg  
Old 25 Sep 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2548131)   #278
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hi Malcolm, that's a good find, keep digging!!

Hard to say from the image, as the car has slightly wider wheels and has been resprayed, but it reminds me of Dave Streather's car from a couple of years prior to that.

I've got it in a shot somewhere or other at the Superprix in 1990 but at that time it was beige. It's possible Streather bought his car from Goode as they both live/lived in Leicestershire IIRC.

Last edited by chunterer; 19 Nov 2009 at 11:22.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2584954)   #279
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hi Malcolm, that's a good find, keep digging!!

Hard to say from the image, as the car has slightly wider wheels and has been resprayed, but it reminds me of Dave Streather's car from a couple of years prior to that.

I've got it in a shot somewhere or other at the Superprix in 1990 but at that time it was beige. It's possible Streather bought his car from Goode as they both live/lived in Leicestershire IIRC.
Just thinking, Goode's last Trimoco Capri was white but his earlier one was Green.

The car in Malcolm's image above is white, the one that reminds me of Steather's modsaloon but Gregor earlier in the thread seemed to think that this Wait car could've been Gerry Marshall's old one?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2585097)   #280
richard crossley
Rookie

richard crossley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest the name Terry Nichols has cropped up often in this thread and if its the same one, {from Worthing}, he has raced with us in the JEC xjs championship this year and did the Victor Meldrew at Brands Hatch last weekend.
Very nice chap, told me he'd raced before but not for a few years and I had no idea of his history. He let me pass him at a very wet Silverstone in qualifying and I nearly took him off in the race!.

If he's out next year I'll try and point him in the direction of this thread
Old 19 Nov 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2585333)   #281
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crossley View Post
Just out of interest the name Terry Nichols has cropped up often in this thread and if its the same one, {from Worthing}, he has raced with us in the JEC xjs championship this year and did the Victor Meldrew at Brands Hatch last weekend.
Very nice chap, told me he'd raced before but not for a few years and I had no idea of his history. He let me pass him at a very wet Silverstone in qualifying and I nearly took him off in the race!.

If he's out next year I'll try and point him in the direction of this thread
The Terry Nicholls who ran Capris in the mid 80's was from Worthing so sounds like it's the same fella richard. Yes please do give him a nudge and ask him on here when you get the chance.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2589741)   #282
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Mystery pic on Flickr- in a collection of 80's touring car pics, mostly at Silverstone

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1202143...7622659048123/

Location is obviously Silverstone, it's clearly a CC/Esso Capri, but when? The race #40 suggests it's not BTCC, so presumably an ETC round. Looking at race results, my best guess is it's the '79 TT, Woodman & Buncombe on their way to 7th place

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...lverstone.html

Last edited by KA; 26 Nov 2009 at 16:22.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2589769)   #283
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Mystery pic on Flickr- in a collection of 80's touring car pics, mostly at Silverstone

Location is obviously Silverstone, it's clearly a CC/Esso Capri, but when? The race #40 suggests it's not BTCC, so presumably an ETC round. Looking at race results, my best guess is it's the '79 TT, Woodman & Buncombe on their way to 7th place

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p27530109.html

yep 1979 Silverstone TT, this is the same car and I took this then (on an instamatic 110 camera)
Old 28 Nov 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2590778)   #284
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just thinking, Goode's last Trimoco Capri was white but his earlier one was Green.

The car in Malcolm's image above is white, the one that reminds me of Steather's modsaloon but Gregor earlier in the thread seemed to think that this Wait car could've been Gerry Marshall's old one?
I think that car is the ex Dave Streather Modsaloon (CC3), before it had the XX pack fitted. Raced by Graham Wait and Ade Vickers.
It could also be the No33 Capri of Jeff Allam/Stuart Patterson, finishing Pos 11 at the 1979 TT.

Interestingly, in the picture section of the above and OT, but is that Barry Sheene sat on the front of the Richard Lloyd Mk1 Golf (with fag!)?
Old 28 Nov 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2590849)   #285
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORP View Post

Interestingly, in the picture section of the above and OT, but is that Barry Sheene sat on the front of the Richard Lloyd Mk1 Golf (with fag!)?
Could well be- he did share one of the Golfs with Lloyd

Old 30 Nov 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2591754)   #286
KA
Veteran

Another nice Woodman Capri pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gloster...7601336014882/
Old 30 Nov 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2591778)   #287
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Could well be- he did share one of the Golfs with Lloyd

Yes, thanks KA....the No7 confirms that.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2591783)   #288
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Quote:
That pic is Vince Woodman's MkII 3.0 Capri (Gp1), not sure of the year - unlikely to be a CC built car I would say.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2592355)   #289
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
That pic is Vince Woodman's MkII 3.0 Capri (Gp1), not sure of the year - unlikely to be a CC built car I would say.
Crikey that is a rare shot? Probably 1976 or '77?

Think ORP is right, CC didn't build Woodmans cars until circa 1981 is that right? I know we've probably mentioned it back in the thread somewhere!!!

Vince may well have ran his own cars prior to that?
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2592360)   #290
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Crikey that is a rare shot? Probably 1976 or '77?

Think ORP is right, CC didn't build Woodmans cars until circa 1981 is that right? I know we've probably mentioned it back in the thread somewhere!!!

Vince may well have ran his own cars prior to that?
Thanks- I couldn't remember when CC started running Woodman's cars either...
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2592369)   #291
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks- I couldn't remember when CC started running Woodman's cars either...
I thought Andy Rouse was involved with Vince Woodmans cars? (Or am I just getting confused with Charles Sawyer Hoare (sp?) who I think was also Rouse run).
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2592372)   #292
KA
Veteran

Another pic. Think we've already seen Brian Chatfield's ex-CC/Esso car in 1985
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1678887...7611422894664/

but this pic from the previous season, at Brands might be a new one to the thread- captioned as being Mike Newman's car
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3611177...7622382683987/
Old 1 Dec 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2592509)   #293
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Over on the British Saloon/Touring Car Championship thread there is a clip of the 1985 season. Which shows the race at Oulton Park with the Chatfield Capri out in front, (round about 00.48sec)....re: the above picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMuwiR3-EtY

Last edited by chunterer; 4 Jan 2010 at 19:02.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2593319)   #294
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:

but this pic from the previous season, at Brands might be a new one to the thread- captioned as being Mike Newman's car
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3611177...7622382683987/
Yes, it's new to the thread, nice one. Definitely the Chatfield car, as Newman's was not in the Esso livery. Rare shot of the Grundig 635 in that set as well....

Quote:
Over on the British Saloon/Touring Car Championship thread there is a clip of the 1985 season. Which shows the race at Oulton Park with the Chatfield Capri out in front, (round about 00.48sec)....re: the above picture.

Yes, interesting point to raise ORP. this I think is the race mentioned back along where Brian mysteriously had the car on the ultimate (or very near to it) pace before getting DQ'd afterwards?

No one is quite sure what was 'illegal' but seeing as the car hadn't been competitive in Grp A up to that point, it is difficult to see how it could have got on terms with second hand Vitesses, let alone Rouse's Sierra!

Rumours of GAV6 engines being acidentally popped into the engine bay perhaps......

Last edited by chunterer; 11 Dec 2009 at 20:16.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2593398)   #295
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Yes, it's new to the thread, nice one. Definitely the Chatfield car, as Newman's was not in the Esso livery. Rare shot of the Grundig 635 in that set as well....

Yes, interesting point to raise ORP. this I think is the race mentioned back along where Brian mysteriously had the car on the ultimate (or very near to it) pace before getting DQ'd afterwards?

No one is quite sure what was 'illegal' but seeing as the car hadn't been competitive in Grp A up to that point, it is difficult to see how it could have got on terms with second hand Vitesses, let alone Rouse's Sierra!

Rumours of GAV6 engines being acidentally popped into the engine bay perhaps......
It's possible Brian was running the GAA bottom end without the Quad cam top end set up. Think that was the Capri swansong (albeit illegal) in the BSCC!

Last edited by chunterer; 11 Dec 2009 at 20:14.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2593422)   #296
KA
Veteran

Quote:

It's possible Brian was running the GAA bottom end without the Quad cam top end set up. Think that was the Capri swansong (albeit illegal) in the BSCC!
Almost the swansong- after the two disqualifications, he returned with a 635 (BC was certainly never short of cars...) and appeared several times with that. However IIRC, a Capri came out again for the last round, and then a few appearances in 1986, including another DQ earlier in at Silverstone- (think that one was for the car being underweight...?) and 10th at the GP support
Old 3 Dec 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2593432)   #297
KA
Veteran

Quote:

That clip really is a brilliant find- apart from the Chatfield Capri exploits at Oulton, it also includes the first race meeting I ever went to- Donington '85, BTCC in the morning, the ETC in the afternoon (at the point where Rouse takes the flag, there's a CiBiEmme team 635 and a Volvo clearly visible in the pitlane in the background, waiting for their afternoon's activities)
Old 3 Dec 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2593443)   #298
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I seem to remember being told at the time that Chatfield was running a GAA engine, and that was why he was disqualified after the race. (I wondered at the time how on earth could that have got through pre-race scrutineering with all those cams and other obvious differences. If it was 'just' the bottom-end, then it wouldn't have been quite so obvious!)

Last edited by chunterer; 11 Dec 2009 at 20:20.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2596618)   #299
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

I seem to remember being told at the time that Chatfield was running a GAA engine, and that was why he was disqualified after the race. (I wondered at the time how on earth could that have got through pre-race scrutineering with all those cams and other obvious differences. If it was 'just' the bottom-end, then it wouldn't have been quite so obvious!)
Perhaps the other competitors knew and allowed him to race it not thinking that it would go so fast!!!
Old 16 Dec 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2600706)   #300
capridt
Rookie

capridt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just picked up on your thread re the ex Terry Nichols Capri. This went via Ric Wood to a French chap, Laurent Bayers, from somewhere down near Nice. I raced against him a couple of times during his early ownership of the car. We raced with the French "Trophee Saloon" series. I'm not sure if he still has the car. DT

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman