Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 6 Feb 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2627902)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Granted still slower than was but better, also I have a wide screen monitor but the video card is not suitable, wide screen would probably work better I will have to try it on another machine in the shop.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2627903)   #27
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Its a little faster Grant, but still slow rendering the third part of the page [i.e. the tower ads]... also FYI, one of the tower ads for me is always eBay. Again, not sure if that's intentional or not.
Yeah, there's two parts to the tower, the top is an advert and the second part is always ebay.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2627906)   #28
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Granted still slower than was but better, also I have a wide screen monitor but the video card is not suitable, wide screen would probably work better I will have to try it on another machine in the shop.
It won't make a difference Al. Its related to how the page content is compiled and rendered on your browser.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2627922)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it may take the squashed look out of it.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2627939)   #30
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
For those that haven't tried yet, you could not do worse than having a play with Firefox, Opera or Google Chrome browsers as they load differently to IE.
I have just bought a new machine that has Windows 7 and it is light years ahead of XP or Vista for loading programmes and pages.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2628069)   #31
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
On this computer I use IE (Vista), and it runs fine. No slowdown effects at all come to mind. All the ads going. No issues at all.

On the other machine I use, I don't use IE (XP). With that browser I use freely available free solutions that render the ad, script, and such, issues moot.

The other option is to pay 10-quid a year, which isn't exactly a lot if other options do not work for people!
Old 7 Feb 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2628683)   #32
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
On this computer I use IE (Vista), and it runs fine. No slowdown effects at all come to mind. All the ads going. No issues at all.

On the other machine I use, I don't use IE (XP). With that browser I use freely available free solutions that render the ad, script, and such, issues moot.

The other option is to pay 10-quid a year, which isn't exactly a lot if other options do not work for people!
Hi, not a mod but please do not block the adverts as otherwise the site will go bust I imagine or, like the times, will force adverts before you can read anything. I have a program that can run through and look at what is slow but to be honest I am on a East Coast train and the Wifi is slow and yet I am happily reading away.

I suggest a two fold solution, I am sure the mods will look and tweak anyway but check if you have things like Norton Anti-virus as it is so slow now that it slows everything down as it checks the pages behind each link even if you are not clicking on it.

Mods - there is something in a Mozilla addon called "Firebug" and it shows what takes time to load. Either ways it's a great forum and whilst I rarely post it's a great service. :-)

Right then I'm off to slap whoever pulled the 'stop' cord as we left the station cause they forgot to get off.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2628717)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the support.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2628782)   #34
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Advert content

It is interesting to note that the conetnt of adverts is controlled to some extent by 10/10ths site administrators.

Why then are there adverts (American) for turning flab into muscles and losing "8 kilos in 30 days using 1 secret formula"?

Why are there adverts for Weight Watchers?

Why are there adverts for "Act on CO2" - like loft and cavity wall insulation?

Why are there adverts for products to 'cartoonify' youself?

Hopefully if the powers that be don't remove these ads because they are inappropriate, then the appalling click-through rate will lead the advertisers themselves to eventually ask not to have their adverts on 10/10ths.....

I don't click on ANY of them..... and I doubt that I am in the minority
Old 7 Feb 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2628785)   #35
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
It is interesting to note that the conetnt of adverts is controlled to some extent by 10/10ths site administrators.
Only to some extent, we tell our advert provider what we aren't interested in, basically anything that would conflict with our Google T&C.

Quote:
Why then are there adverts (American) for turning flab into muscles and losing "8 kilos in 30 days using 1 secret formula"?
Because they pay, and because they pay, you don't have to.

Quote:
Why are there adverts for Weight Watchers?

Quote:
Why are there adverts for "Act on CO2" - like loft and cavity wall insulation?

Quote:
Why are there adverts for products to 'cartoonify' youself?

Quote:
Hopefully if the powers that be don't remove these ads because they are inappropriate, then the appalling click-through rate will lead the advertisers themselves to eventually ask not to have their adverts on 10/10ths.....
Ya think?

Quote:
I don't click on ANY of them..... and I doubt that I am in the minority
Oh, I'm sure you're in the majority of people that think that everything on the internet should be "free" and that servers magically pay for themselves and that monthly hosting grows on trees.

Adverts are a brutal reality of paying for large sites. If you don't like adverts then pay £10 a year and get rid of them. At least we give people that choice.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2628796)   #36
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Only to some extent, we tell our advert provider what we aren't interested in, basically anything that would conflict with our Google T&C.

Ya think?

Oh, I'm sure you're in the majority of people that think that everything on the internet should be "free" and that servers magically pay for themselves and that monthly hosting grows on trees.

Adverts are a brutal reality of paying for large sites. If you don't like adverts then pay £10 a year and get rid of them. At least we give people that choice.
Thanks for the well considered and detailed explanation. I see the Espresso is getting to you...

Try some mineral water

If you are genuinely 'not for profit' and therefore looking for a cheaper hosting option, then contact me as I can help you.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2628802)   #37
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Thanks for the well considered and detailed explanation.
Nice sarcasm, and if you had posted a well considered and detailed post rather than a bit of a rant and list of adverts then you might have got one.

Quote:
I see the Espresso is getting to you...
Haven't had any, maybe that's the problem.

Quote:
Try some mineral water
I'm drinking plenty, it's part of the loose 8kg in 30 days plan.

Quote:
If you are genuinely 'not for profit' and therefore looking for a cheaper hosting option, then contact me as I can help you.
We've never claimed to be "not for profit", only that whatever we make gets put back in to Tenths or back in to motorsport. Our hosting was specifically chosen for a number of reason, one of which being that the hosting company is located only 15 minutes away from me so that I can get easy access to our server if there are problems.
Old 7 Feb 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2628812)   #38
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Nice sarcasm, and if you had posted a well considered and detailed post rather than a bit of a rant and list of adverts then you might have got one.

Haven't had any, maybe that's the problem.

I'm drinking plenty, it's part of the loose 8kg in 30 days plan.

We've never claimed to be "not for profit", only that whatever we make gets put back in to Tenths or back in to motorsport. Our hosting was specifically chosen for a number of reason, one of which being that the hosting company is located only 15 minutes away from me so that I can get easy access to our server if there are problems.
You are obviously not aware of my rants. I was just adding my thoughts to the thread - I thought that's what forums were about?

I thought the argument was the 'cost' of running the forum without ads...........?

I was just trying to offer a solution that would make it cheaper for all the contributors...

Out of interest, how much money went from this site into Motorsport last year - and how was it spent?
Old 8 Feb 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2629117)   #39
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
I thought the argument was the 'cost' of running the forum without ads...........?
No, it's about whether or not the sidebar adverts are slowing load times. The arguments about the costs of running a website has been done to death in the past.

Quote:
I was just trying to offer a solution that would make it cheaper for all the contributors...
Cheaper than then fact that it's free now?

Quote:
Out of interest, how much money went from this site into Motorsport last year - and how was it spent?
Some, on stuff.
Old 8 Feb 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2629569)   #40
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i cant believe people are complaining about the adverts. If you dont like it buy a subsription. 10 GBP, thats like 3pence a day
Old 8 Feb 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2629576)   #41
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
For anyone that feels really strongly about the adverts then take out a 2 week subscription for £1 and get the option to turn them off for two weeks while we are evaluating them.
Well so far nobody has, so I guess it's no longer a problem for people.

If anyone else wants to comment on the subject feel free to PM me.
Closed Thread