Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3923164)   #4476
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...rior/?ref=ebln

Knowing the interests of many on here roam far and wide I thought this might strike a chord.

Sad yet uplifting.
Great name for a Flying Fortress as well- ‘Tomahawk Warrior’.

Good that the crew are remembered in the locality.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3923165)   #4477
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Road use apart, hard for me to remember when a Giulia was much better than a L'tina on any track. And I'm a long term Alfa fan.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3923169)   #4478
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Road use apart, hard for me to remember when a Giulia was much better than a L'tina on any track. And I'm a long term Alfa fan.
I didn’t realise until reading up that so few Giulia Ti Supers were built. More than the BMW 1800 TiSA though. I guess mega money for a genuine version of either now!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3923172)   #4479
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An Alfa story;

Many might recall when Alfa Romeo entered the BTCC in the nineties (?), and shocked the establishment by sporting boot lid wings, when additional aerodynamic aids were prohibited. When teams protested that the spoilers were not standard on road going versions, Alfa pointed out that such items were sold as standard but were not fitted but stored in the boot.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3923175)   #4480
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As did BMW with its 3.0CSL
Old 18 Aug 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3923181)   #4481
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
And Volvo with the 240T.......

And according to some, after the cars were delivered to dealers in the USA the homologation kits were taken out and sent back!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3923185)   #4482
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

And according to some, after the cars were delivered to dealers in the USA the homologation kits were taken out and sent back!
Years ago when I worked for Volvo we were sometimes asked to collect cars from other dealers. 6 of us set of to collect some cars. I jumped into a 240 turbo and shot off back to base winding this thing up to well over 120 mph you could back in the 80's. We all arrived back at work and shortly after the Rozzers tuned up and we got a right old telling off from management. We were lucky not of been nicked.happy days.When I look back to those times I seem to recall I did not have a care in the world. Life was so much easier then.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3923193)   #4483
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Years ago when I worked for Volvo we were sometimes asked to collect cars from other dealers. 6 of us set of to collect some cars. I jumped into a 240 turbo and shot off back to base winding this thing up to well over 120 mph you could back in the 80's. We all arrived back at work and shortly after the Rozzers tuned up and we got a right old telling off from management. We were lucky not of been nicked.happy days.When I look back to those times I seem to recall I did not have a care in the world. Life was so much easier then.
Looking at that auction where two TR5s are going under the hammer reminded me of some of the journeys I did in the early 70s in one. 3 figure averages on public roads not something could even contemplate now......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 18 Aug 2019 at 11:18.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3923215)   #4484
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Looking at that auction where two TR5s are going under the hammer reminded me of some of the journeys I did in the early 70s in one. 3 figure averages on public roads not something could even contemplate now......
We seem to be getting closer to 3 figure average journey times Mike.

Three figures in Hours that is.

All the roads around the area of Donington Park seem to have been decorated with double red lines and new posts and the signs attached to them indicating that they are now a Red Route and no stopping is permitted (except for buses) at any time.

Presumably this is to stop people parking up and flying drones or maybe camping with their rocket launchers and threatening East Midlands airport.

Meanwhile the Donington by-pass route construction continues apace. Just not a very fast pace.

If the traffic light controls for the roundabout under construction between the race track and the village took any longer there is a good chance that one might be prosecuted for stopping on a Red Route.

At the rate they are going I think it will still be a work in progress at Christmas. Probably without much effective progress if the development of the roundabout at the other end of the Bypass is used as a basis of measurement.

That saw a 14 week project that started in the middle of January.

It continues having been half opened, sort of, for a couple of weeks when all development stopped anyway.

At that point they discovered the middle of the roundabout turns into a pond when it rains and the tarmac around it look more like a canal than a road.

Quite why the so called design of the development seems to have taken no account of the fact that the road is on a flood plain and was prone to some notable flooding several times a year most years is a puzzle. As it is the road looks even lower than the area used to be and the road side ditches are now gone.

Add in that the new section of road that makes up the bypass is a long downhill run of tarmac across an area that used to be either fields or woodlands with a few soak away ponds and I would imagine the frequency of flooding is likely to increase - despite the fancy "drainage" kerbing.

It'll probably still be a Red Route though, when complete.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3923219)   #4485
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great, look forward to next season visit, then!

We’ve got 10 weeks of chaos soon in the centre of town when they close one leg of the triangle that forms our one way system. At the moment it is one-way, and will still be after..... they have put new traffic islands in! It’s only just wide enough for two cars side by side at the moment, so goodness knows where the islands are going. If you travel down the section in a truck you have to use the whole width as it is. The diversion routes will cost local businesses such as Banham Poultry a fortune in lost hours and extra miles.

Oh yes, and in the meantime there’s been two leaking water mains in the area. One is very close to the town centre, on the high street, which resulted in 10 days of puddles. After a week they put (3 way) traffic lights in and dug a hole. The lights and hole are still there, and yesterday the street was closed all morning after a (corner shop delivery sized) artic stopped at the lights, break down, then proceed to dump it’s complete tank of diesel......The second leak was on the main road near my workshop, and guess what, it was awash for several hundred metres for over a week. Again it resulted in temporary lights. Those are still there, the water has stopped, but now appears to be Gas board people in the hole.....

As you say Grant, it is getting more and more difficult to keep moving at all, nowadays!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3923221)   #4486
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick update on driving lesson.New instructor is a lot better.

Had a chat about football.Helps build that relationship so all the better.

Started in an estate again,practising on different junctions. Then he let me drive about 30 mins on main roads and driving home and on duel carriageway which was good but ***** hell that was a little nerve wracking.Went through tonbridge and hadlow and turned back towards Paddock Wood way.Did get into 4th at 45 mph which was good.The speed isn't a big deal thanks to karting so its going good at the mo.Onto the 4th lesson but will have to miss the VSCC meet at Brands
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3923229)   #4487
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Just a quick update on driving lesson.New instructor is a lot better.

Had a chat about football.Helps build that relationship so all the better.

Started in an estate again,practising on different junctions. Then he let me drive about 30 mins on main roads and driving home and on duel carriageway which was good but ***** hell that was a little nerve wracking.Went through tonbridge and hadlow and turned back towards Paddock Wood way.Did get into 4th at 45 mph which was good.The speed isn't a big deal thanks to karting so its going good at the mo.Onto the 4th lesson but will have to miss the VSCC meet at Brands
Well done Will. Looks like your new instructor is much better than the prat you were lumbered with to start with!
You seem to be making great progress too which is good but just a word of caution, don't be downhearted if you have a lesson in the future when you don't make the same progress, it's happened to all of us at some stage...
Old 18 Aug 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3923234)   #4488
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just to keep this theme going, the TWR designed Holden, which had an additional front lip on the bib supplied unfitted... ridiculously unsuitable for road use with it graunching at the slightest oportunity. Apparenttly it benefitted top speed, reduced drag etc. Remember thinking at the tme how Tom it was.

Old 18 Aug 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3923246)   #4489
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Chris, thank you for this piece of s...! The Lotus Omega looked fine but this is a new version of the road horror show!
Old 18 Aug 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3923249)   #4490
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Chris, thank you for this piece of s...! The Lotus Omega looked fine but this is a new version of the road horror show!
Gerry, you know Chris lacks good taste, and the picture just underlines that fact.

Number I SoF.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3923251)   #4491
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Going back to auctions, bit of egg on face here.....

https://jalopnik.com/porsches-type-6...wup-1837345263
Old 18 Aug 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3923257)   #4492
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You should see the rear view.

Its justification was as a homologation special

Win Percy shared one with Alan Grice at Bathurst in 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FOtV3zLPE

There are people out there happy to part with $75000 to own the road version.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3923261)   #4493
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Unbelievabubble.
Old 18 Aug 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3923271)   #4494
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
You should see the rear view.

Its justification was as a homologation special

Win Percy shared one with Alan Grice at Bathurst in 1990

There are people out there happy to part with $75000 to own the road version.
There are some very good looking Holden homologation specials, bad sadly that isn’t one of them! (IMHO)

Like a lot of cars made in small numbers, it’s value will be more than its looks deserve.....
Old 18 Aug 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3923282)   #4495
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Dam I could only go up to 20 million so I couldn't afford it anyway, perhaps Tim Falce could help me out
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Aug 2019, 06:23 (Ref:3923356)   #4496
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did I overtake delta’s truck on the dual carriageways of Milton Keynes yesterday evening ? If not, there’s one very similar about !
Old 19 Aug 2019, 07:50 (Ref:3923364)   #4497
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Did I overtake delta’s truck on the dual carriageways of Milton Keynes yesterday evening ? If not, there’s one very similar about !
I doubt it, he was drinking tea at my place at 7pm...
Old 19 Aug 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3923368)   #4498
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
An Alfa story;

Many might recall when Alfa Romeo entered the BTCC in the nineties (?), and shocked the establishment by sporting boot lid wings, when additional aerodynamic aids were prohibited. When teams protested that the spoilers were not standard on road going versions, Alfa pointed out that such items were sold as standard but were not fitted but stored in the boot.
In the mid 80s , I was doing a lot of International tarmac rallies , & when my RS2000 Homologation ran out ,[ 86 I think ] , I built an Alfa to see if that would work .
As a shakedown , before I took it to Europe , I entered a local rally at Snetterton .

The scrutineer looked at the Alfa & said , " aerofoils are not allowed " .
So I showed him the Homologation papers , he seemed a bit confused & went off , [ possibly to read the blue book ,] Came back a bit later & said it was all OK
Old 19 Aug 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3923371)   #4499
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
In the mid 80s , I was doing a lot of International tarmac rallies , & when my RS2000 Homologation ran out ,[ 86 I think ] , I built an Alfa to see if that would work .
As a shakedown , before I took it to Europe , I entered a local rally at Snetterton .

The scrutineer looked at the Alfa & said , " aerofoils are not allowed " .
So I showed him the Homologation papers , he seemed a bit confused & went off , [ possibly to read the blue book ,] Came back a bit later & said it was all OK
Told you it was.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3923391)   #4500
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was wondering if anyone has any idea what happened to the supposed Aston Martin race series that was meant to be at the Classic and Spa 6 Hours.Seems to have disappeared of the latters timetable so thinking it maybe have been canned as a series.Hope not as it seemed a like a good idea.
Closed Thread