Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Oct 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3150767)   #1
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KR

At around the time it was announced that KR was going with Nissan i made comment on here whether that would be the end of the effort for 2012 for KR.
Their results along with DJR this year have been embarassing and would have even their most loyal fans wishing 2013 would come around quicker.
Do you think that KR owed its supporters and sponsors more in 2012 or is it acceptable due to what they have on their plate with their Nissan move ?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3150768)   #2
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got no doubt that they would have undertaken 'due dilligence' talks with their sponsors prior to undertaking the change. Ergo, perhaps they 'owe' their sponsors more, but it's quite understandable within the circumstances.

Their supporters would be a different story. I am not one, but it would seem that their efforts are below what they were last year.

Interesting question.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3150788)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The #51 Pepsi car had an engine issue at Sandown... and if the stories are true, there was no replacement powerplant available to swap to. So the team changed over all the ancillaries and prayed it would work, which it clearly didnt.

Same kinds of stories abound from Bathurst and the #51 car. The lead pilot was absolutely not comfortable with the car, it was worse than the previous year's when that package was competitive enough to make the shootout, take pole, and a 3rd place. This year.. well it was not too flash across the top... and had a slug of an engine... (same one from Sandown perhaps? )

I am surprised that there hasnt been more complaining from that garage...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Oct 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3150806)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
had contact with two people in the garage, they were all really dissapointed.

But at the same time, one of them has a job next year and is really excited about what that offers. The other is looking elsewhere as there is not a spot for him
Old 13 Oct 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3150953)   #5
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
It only took them 6 months to build the Nissan engine, plenty of time for them to focus on this years calender and get the results they wanted, but sadly didn't happen. KR will be like bring on 2013!, bring on Nissan! I will be following them next year if FPR can't get this years Title. now if only they signed up someone else then Todd to drive the other car.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3151166)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KR have this crazy idea of prioritising which cars the good bits go into. Rick's first, then Todd's, then maybe the others.

No doubt, Mr Blanchard will not have a competitive car on the Gold Coast.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3151178)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
KR have this crazy idea of prioritising which cars the good bits go into. Rick's first, then Todd's, then maybe the others.

No doubt, Mr Blanchard will not have a competitive car on the Gold Coast.
Mr Blanchard has a competitive car in the development series and doesnt seem to extract as much from it as Mr Mostert has.

There was a suggestion some time back that the 2 pairs of cars were different chassis wise to such an extent that the likes of engines and suspension were not absolutely identical fitments... perhaps helping along the 'them n us' discussions...
Old 13 Oct 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3151192)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the #51 and #11 chassis are Perkins-built units, which I believe they are, then that would sum up the situation.

I would go as far as to suggest that there may no longer be a development plan in place the #51 and #11 chassis.

Since 2009, they have only built two new chassis, although they inherited a supposedly brand new car from Perkins, which Murphy uses now.

If they struggled to build two cars over 3 years, what chance have they got of putting six together in less than 12 months. Last we heard, not so long ago, they'd hardly started on the first one.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 02:32 (Ref:3151268)   #9
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt that the Kelly team will be any further up the grid next season , NISMO only do engines all the rest is up to the Kellys = the best people that they have got can't get the current stuff to work which they have had for ages and are familiar with , why are we expecting the new Nissan built by the same people to be any better ?
Old 14 Oct 2012, 02:50 (Ref:3151272)   #10
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
I doubt that the Kelly team will be any further up the grid next season , NISMO only do engines all the rest is up to the Kellys = the best people that they have got can't get the current stuff to work which they have had for ages and are familiar with , why are we expecting the new Nissan built by the same people to be any better ?
Old 14 Oct 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3151281)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Then that yucky word will come out again...

P A R I T Y...
Old 14 Oct 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3151288)   #12
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

P A R I T Y...
That's going to be one of the big challenges isn't it? Back when the field was split roughly equally along brand lines, poor team performances got evened out with good performances.

Now there is only one team running a particular brand of car and engine, and it'll be harder to tell how much of a team's (lack of) performance is based on the aero and engine & how much on basics such as organisation and driver talent.

Given that the cars have been running data loggers for a long, long time, I reckon that they'll need to come into play in any parity arguments, as there is nowhere to hide from the information that they gather.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3151435)   #13
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:

P A R I T Y...
Surley Parity in COTF can only be engine related as all the other bits are the same for all the vehicles across all the teams , anything chassis related will need to be team sorted and not subject to parity .
IMHO SBR will be way infront of KR because they seem to understand the cars far better , If DJR hang Mazda panels off their COTF they won't go any better as I doubt that their drivers have the ability at sorting the handling of a new package (just MHO) and their engine power seems to be down from a few years ago.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3151448)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Surley Parity in COTF can only be engine related as all the other bits are the same for all the vehicles across all the teams , anything chassis related will need to be team sorted and not subject to parity .
IMHO SBR will be way infront of KR because they seem to understand the cars far better , If DJR hang Mazda panels off their COTF they won't go any better as I doubt that their drivers have the ability at sorting the handling of a new package (just MHO) and their engine power seems to be down from a few years ago.
I suspect parity may take a couple of forms, including engine performance, but perhaps too aerodynamic adjustments.

As the teams understand their aero packages better during the season, some might do a better job than the other... I mean the current Ford & Holden front splitters came from a similar design concept to attempt conformance...

Depends if the Nissan & Erebus packages are derivations of these kits, or something different. There is already chat to suggest that both the Nissan and Benz are more slippery through the air than the homegrown Ford and Holden... by what degree is unclear... how do you design a parity structure around that?
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3151475)   #15
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
I think some people are thinking too highly of the Nissan-Mercedes/Erebus crew so early, some people are already thinking this will have a bad effect on V8SC that these new guys will have it over the Holden and Ford guys, well from what ive read so far, not just in ten-tenths, doom and gloom seem to be on everybodys minds when big carmakes enter in. seriously?

hello? DJR, FPR, T888 and others will have more experience, they'll have the better drivers, better engineers and they too have some of the best running engines going around. Although im expecting the Erebus to have a better impact then KR, cause of their involvement in motoracing history, and Mercedes Germany will be looking very closely on how their "team" is competing and if it continues to see them get beaten every race, they'll do something about it to protect their image, in the long term though.

KR will need alot more then a goodlooking engine to try and think they'll get up to the front of the field. and not too mention the guys steering their cars..
Old 17 Oct 2012, 02:10 (Ref:3153149)   #16
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

P A R I T Y...
Dont say that word GTR, I said it in another thread about 4 weeks ago and got shot down !

That word will arise for sure !
Old 17 Oct 2012, 02:18 (Ref:3153153)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Dont say that word GTR, I said it in another thread about 4 weeks ago and got shot down !

That word will arise for sure !
I think its a given.

The real question though is how it will be dealt with. Ideally they will have some system prepared to deal with this

hoepfully it wont be like the AU falcon where we had to wait 5 years for it to happen.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3153165)   #18
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Same kinds of stories abound from Bathurst and the #51 car. The lead pilot was absolutely not comfortable with the car...
i believe he was that uncomfortable he wanted to come into the pits on one occasion and give his codriver some seat time rather than risk his own personal safety
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3153208)   #19
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The #51 Pepsi car had an engine issue at Sandown... and if the stories are true, there was no replacement powerplant available to swap to. So the team changed over all the ancillaries and prayed it would work, which it clearly didnt.

Same kinds of stories abound from Bathurst and the #51 car. The lead pilot was absolutely not comfortable with the car, it was worse than the previous year's when that package was competitive enough to make the shootout, take pole, and a 3rd place. This year.. well it was not too flash across the top... and had a slug of an engine... (same one from Sandown perhaps? )

I am surprised that there hasnt been more complaining from that garage...
Wtf? How can a 4 car team not have at least 2 fresh engines on hand? Especially for a race close to the workshop.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3153212)   #20
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That team has done nothing but go down hill since the Kelly's since Perkins left. Nissan must really believe their money and staff additions will make a huge difference
Old 20 Oct 2012, 03:41 (Ref:3154628)   #21
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing KR is not having go this weekend
Old 20 Oct 2012, 04:05 (Ref:3154642)   #22
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Good thing KR is not having go this weekend
As a moderate Kelly fan, even some pretty good results for the rest of the year won't change what has been a terrible year result wise.