Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3154276)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Egg Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday... blah...

So... these 2 were the way the V8Supercar CotF project was presented to the punters at the Motor Show..

Nobody understood what they were, no posters, no girls explaining stuff, no footage of Bathurst, or promos by drivers, or signings...

Or in reality much of a presentation of Ford Falcon.. they showed the hotted up ones, or the EcoBoost thing.. mostly the imported small cars...but not anything to do with the road going Falcon.

Having said that, Holden as Bathurst winner of a couple of weeks ago, didnt have a Team Vodafone car on display, even the show car would have been better than ignoring it.

Mobil1 had an HRT mockup race car in a display... but hardly the point.

While the nice ladies at Nissan were handing out posters of the R32 GT-R to anyone who wanted one... Nissan Know How...

The question has to be.. is V8Supercar & its teams.. serious about showcasing its product to the automotive audience?

The CotF is a significant piece of news.. it could have been showcased for its technology... shown Nissan and Mercedes entering.. all kinds of positive stuff..

Instead... zero..

Weird..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3154282)   #2
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Weird..
Personal opinion here; it's because they (whomever was responsible for the display) assume the punters follow and understand what COTF is all about. Arrogance, ignorance...call it what you will. Is this why motor sport in trouble?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3154286)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Personal opinion here; it's because they (whomever was responsible for the display) assume the punters follow and understand what COTF is all about. Arrogance, ignorance...call it what you will. Is this why motor sport in trouble?
The CotF car was at the entrance to the Convention Centre. You walk past it as if it is just some hotted up Falcon.

There is a Subaru BRZ inside that has been tarted up with a roll cage and some carbon fibre which doesnt make it anything at all...

Maybe with the benefit of the doubt... ignorance?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3154289)   #4
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So... these 2 were the way the V8Supercar CotF project was presented to the punters at the Motor Show..

Nobody understood what they were, no posters, no girls explaining stuff, no footage of Bathurst, or promos by drivers, or signings...

Or in reality much of a presentation of Ford Falcon.. they showed the hotted up ones, or the EcoBoost thing.. mostly the imported small cars...but not anything to do with the road going Falcon.

Having said that, Holden as Bathurst winner of a couple of weeks ago, didnt have a Team Vodafone car on display, even the show car would have been better than ignoring it.

While the nice ladies at Nissan were handing out posters of the R32 GT-R to anyone who wanted one... Nissan Know How...

The question has to be.. is V8Supercar & its teams.. serious about showcasing its product to the automotive audience?

The CotF is a significant piece of news.. it could have been showcased for its technology... shown Nissan and Mercedes entering.. all kinds of positive stuff..

Instead... zero..

Weird..
I was going to shorten the post in the qoute, however. It's all correct in my book. I have been telling my best mate for years (who is a Top Fuel racer) that every chance to promote your sport to other petrol heads or car lovers should never be missed.

Very strange .
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3154293)   #5
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
No wonder their losing in car sales, not enough promotion, btw this car looks soo nice.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3154314)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Instead... zero..

Weird..
Given that this is clearly an FPV (Ford) display, I don't get how you think the lack of any information is a problem caused by V8 Supercar or its teams.

More like (yet another) example of Ford not really managing the racing side of things at all well.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3154324)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does a 1960 marketing term still hold true
Old 19 Oct 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3154333)   #8
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The dumb marketing was on behalf of V8SC not Ford or Holden.
By the way Win on Sunday Sell on Monday didn't work in 1963.
I bought my Cortina GT on the Thursday!
(Ordered actually, by Thursday there was a three month wait)
Old 19 Oct 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3154348)   #9
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So why haven't you uploaded a photo of them?

Quote:
You're a mod. Don't you know? It's all about entertaining the (fair weather) "fans".

Quote:
The CotF is a significant piece of news
No it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
By the way Win on Sunday Sell on Monday didn't work in 1963.
I bought my Cortina GT on the Thursday!
(Ordered actually, by Thursday there was a three month wait)
Would've been irresistable to the broads in those days, hey? "Just like Jim Clark!"
Old 19 Oct 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3154352)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Does a 1960 marketing term still hold true
Is there any other point in a manufacturer going racing? One or two minor manufacturers (Ginetta springs to mind) might do it because they're petrol heads but for a global/national mass manufacturer it has to be based on a marketing excercise of some sort.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3154492)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is all about dollars and what they can and can't afford, just to get a stand at the show is HUGE dollars
Old 19 Oct 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3154568)   #12
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is a Subaru BRZ inside that has been tarted up with a roll cage and some carbon fibre which doesnt make it anything at all...
Rollcage, big AP brakes, lightweight wheels, sticky Pirelli semislicks, raceseat etc. Far more relevant than a V8Supercar to the buying public. I can buy a BRZ (albeit with a long waiting list), and then buy the mods and chuck it around the track. It's far cheaper than buying a COTF from FPR

Even Hyundai were plugging their race-ready Hyundai Veloster Turbo for tarmaxc rallying, production car racing etc. The link? It's 90% a roadcar with track mods, not the other way around.

COTF is completely irrelevant to the car buying public, it looks the same, it sounds the same, and will go roughly the same as the outgoing car. It's only the real fans who have any idea of the difference, and they won't make up a significant proportion of Motor Show attendees.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3154575)   #13
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Win on Sunday, sell on Monday, well that explains why Ford is starting to go arse up here in Australia, Not doing much winning, so not doing much selling .
Old 20 Oct 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3154609)   #14
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It is all about dollars and what they can and can't afford, just to get a stand at the show is HUGE dollars
So spend a little bit more and get value from doing it or don't bother turning up
Old 20 Oct 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3154610)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Definitely a Ford display at the sydney motor show - nothing at all to do with V8SC.

V8SC on the other hand, when they first did a display re COTF nearly a year ago at Homebush, had both Ford & Holden, all the back story, heaps of info etc etc.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 07:00 (Ref:3154692)   #16
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
I thought this was awesome advertising by Ford OZ, looks like all the action was outside....accross the road, did some of you guys that went there see it?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bus...-1226496486594
Old 20 Oct 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3154697)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I thought this was awesome advertising by Ford OZ, looks like all the action was outside....accross the road, did some of you guys that went there see it?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bus...-1226496486594
Yep.

Except the driver demonstration program stops when the sun goes down.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3154714)   #18
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should just bring back Group A Regs to the sport. Improved versions of what you can buy on the showroom floor...
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3154721)   #19
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Should just bring back Group A Regs to the sport. Improved versions of what you can buy on the showroom floor...
improved versions of what you can buy on the showroom floor? we already got that, and its called COTF mate, Group A regs we already got that too. sort of
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3154726)   #20
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Yep.

Except the driver demonstration program stops when the sun goes down.
is that because there were too many people lining up for it?

People say that Ford Oz dont do enough but when they do something like this , people still complain and say is that it? is that all you can do? i dont think Ford doesnt get enough recognition for what they do in the behind the scenes sort of thing. Ford are working theyre way through this downturn, Good advertising helps but its all comes down to costs involved. something theyve done so good in the past and the good quality cars they produce on their tight budgets, they leave alot of cars twice their costs in embarrasment.

Ford will survive, if people stop hating them on Forums, media, losing V8 races lol. and if you and I buy them. so am hoping this new Falcon wont be the last, cause theirs alot of History in that Nameplate. 3rd oldest in the whole world apparently.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3154730)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
is that because there were too many people lining up for it?

People say that Ford Oz dont do enough but when they do something like this , people still complain and say is that it? is that all you can do? i dont think Ford doesnt get enough recognition for what they do in the behind the scenes sort of thing. Ford are working theyre way through this downturn, Good advertising helps but its all comes down to costs involved. something theyve done so good in the past and the good quality cars they produce on their tight budgets, they leave alot of cars twice their costs in embarrasment.

Ford will survive, if people stop hating them on Forums, media, losing V8 races lol. and if you and I buy them. so am hoping this new Falcon wont be the last, cause theirs alot of History in that Nameplate. 3rd oldest in the whole world apparently.
There is no downturn. Car sales will hit record levels this year. Ford is not a part of that because of their ignorance of the 4Ps of marketing.

Sure, the Product piece is hard to get right all of the time, but the rest of it doesnt seem to be as dynamic as their former partner in Mazda, who cant get enough 2's 3's and 6's to keep up with demand.

No hating of Ford here.. disappointment that they dont leverage their assets is more to the point.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3154761)   #22
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
improved versions of what you can buy on the showroom floor? we already got that, and its called COTF mate, Group A regs we already got that too. sort of
Sweet. I'ma go buy a brand new Falcon, take it home, and put Commodore panels right onto the shell.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3154769)   #23
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Sweet. I'ma go buy a brand new Falcon, take it home, and put Commodore panels right onto the shell.
?
Old 20 Oct 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3154776)   #24
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
?
Read your post again
Old 20 Oct 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3154794)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
improved versions of what you can buy on the showroom floor? we already got that, and its called COTF mate,
I dont think your post understands what COTF is