Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Dec 2002, 01:43 (Ref:456529)   #1
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan McNish quote.....

I think Allan McNish needs to do some research before he mouths off this from PlanetF1.com: "I've got some big decisions to make because I've also been testing with Penske - the Ferrari of US motor racing - for the IRL series which will effectively replace CART in 2003," he told The Telegraph.

O.k ...................Does everyone else also think he needs to do his homework? CART is not being replaced by anybody! He obviously hasn't dealt with TG and his crew.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 02:32 (Ref:456535)   #2
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like Toyota had their corporate dick up him at the time.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 02:33 (Ref:456536)   #3
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan McNish 'mouth off'? I'm not sure that is possible. He is truly one of the gentleman of the sport.

That is his perspective, and not only is he allowed to have one, but he is also in a position to make some statements regarding the sport which we, as fans, cannot.

Give the guy a break, (and try to see his view of things), he is essentially correct in terms of the ex-CART teams and drivers that will participate in the IRL next year. Wheteher you want to believe him or not is another question. But I would take a good close look at the potential CART grid grid for next year, and then try and see where the guy is coming from....and remember, he *is* coming directly from both F1, and some of the most prestigious sportscar teams around prior to that. I think he can assess the situation rather well for himself.

Last edited by Brian W Keske; 24 Dec 2002 at 02:34.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 02:33 (Ref:456537)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess sniffing exhaust fumes from Webber's Minardi did some brain damage.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 03:35 (Ref:456550)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but think that McNish might have been dumbing down his response to the interviewer, he did refer to Penske as the Ferrari of America. Sure their a very successful OW team, but Ferrari??? I don't think so!
McNish isn't getting any younger, and Oval racing is physically easier than the flat out road racing of CART.
However I would like to see him in CART, he is talented.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Dec 2002, 04:18 (Ref:456561)   #6
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian W Keske
Alan McNish 'mouth off'? I'm not sure that is possible. He is truly one of the gentleman of the sport.

Brian, check yourself. Are you sure you are not just trying to protect your hero even though its unjustified? Sounds like McNish has changed his tune in ways that many on this forum wouldn't like to acknowledge. He may not be the saint you've always thought him to be. Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 04:23 (Ref:456563)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reference to Penske as the Ferrari of North America explains it all...

In the sense that some of the old money from Cart will be racing in the IRL in 2003, he's right. But, that doesn't change the fact that it's all oval series, based entirely on one race.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Dec 2002, 04:39 (Ref:456567)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
After the way he was treated by Toyota, who can blame Alan for putting a positive spin on his move to IRL? What would you say if you were in that position?
Old 24 Dec 2002, 05:42 (Ref:456595)   #9
Brian W Keske
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyB
Brian, check yourself. Are you sure you are not just trying to protect your hero even though its unjustified? Sounds like McNish has changed his tune in ways that many on this forum wouldn't like to acknowledge. He may not be the saint you've always thought him to be. Seems pretty clear to me.
First off, I don't consider Alan a hero of mine, just a darn fine race driver. I could care less if some don't want to aknowledge his stand, but I think it may be unjust. And just how has he changed his tune? Alan has been rumored to run in the IRL for quite some time now (since being let go in F1), he has never really said otherwise. The only one Alan has to 'justify' to is to himself. He's entitled to make a professional decision, and speak his mind as he see's fit. Just because it's not pro-CART does not make him a total liar, what the heck has he ever promised you? Us? Nothin.

I believe he wants to make a living as a driver, and Penske may give him that option, an option that wasn't around in CART, probably because of the salary a driver such as he commands.

I'm checked, thank you, perhaps you should do the same.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 05:50 (Ref:456598)   #10
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job McNish! But there is no job for him at Penske, unless DeFerran retires - not likely. What is his plan for next year?
Old 24 Dec 2002, 06:10 (Ref:456604)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he's right.

Penske, if you can get over your childish politics, *are* the Ferrari equivalent of North American racing.

As for the Defactor CART/IRL he's got some points there too. A-Teams Ganassi Penske and Green left CART for the IRL, the only A-Team left is Newman-Haas and some B-teams and a bunch of field filler. As far as team quality is concerned, you have to give the nod to the IRL, and its hard to claim CART has the leg on them in drivers anymore.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 06:20 (Ref:456607)   #12
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Well, he's right.

I agree, with all of those road and street courses in the IRL I can't tell the difference between Cart 2002 and IRL 2003.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 06:28 (Ref:456609)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Russfeld, I'd consider Player's an A team too...

He's right in one way(teams), wrong in another(everything else)...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Dec 2002, 06:41 (Ref:456612)   #14
Russfeld
Veteran

Oh yah, I forgot Penske's wins over the years in every form of racing they've competed in were flukes. Nothing matters once you have an IRL hardcard.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 06:55 (Ref:456616)   #15
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Nothing matters once you have an IRL hardcard.

Now on that, I agree.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 07:05 (Ref:456617)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Well at least you're consistently stupid.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 07:08 (Ref:456619)   #17
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Well at least you're consistently stupid.

Can't argue, You'd know.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 07:10 (Ref:456620)   #18
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Allan McNish quote.....

Quote:
Originally posted by crazytrain
"I've got some big decisions to make because I've also been testing with Penske - the Ferrari of US motor racing - for the IRL series which will effectively replace CART in 2003,"
Well, Brian, you probably know more about McNish's history and character than I do, so I'll defer to that. I only wanted to raise a flag regarding his comment about the IRL replacing CART in 2003. Seems a little bombastic in my view.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 09:34 (Ref:456652)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Brian K pointed out that, "Just because it's not pro-CART does not make him a total liar." But might I suggest that the statement was rather anti-CART? Effectively he's suggesting, "Either Jacques and Juan Pablo are idiots, or else I am!"
Old 24 Dec 2002, 10:23 (Ref:456680)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McNish has taken an outsiders view of CART. I take no offence from it. If anything, do this to it:

Old 24 Dec 2002, 11:05 (Ref:456699)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McNish may think the IRL will replace CART, but there are too many people who love road / street racing, around the world, to allow this to happen. Everyone who hasn't been bribed by a big manufacturer or tobacco sponsor is choosing CART over IRL.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 11:08 (Ref:456701)   #22
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but think if he does have a ride with Penske next year already, then he may be being coached on what to say to the media You know the crapwagons are probably working really hard to get an ex f1 driver to their series to point fingers and say ahaaaaaaa see even f1 drivers want to be in the crapwagon league, and TG may even foot the bill to make this happen with a team like Penske. The war is still strong and will not end anytime soon.....
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:05 (Ref:456762)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Give the guy a break! What is he gonna do if he is looking for a ride in either series? Make fun of the teams? Sure.

As for Penske, much as I like CART he is right. Look at his overall record. Love him or hate him, Penske is a winner. Last time I looked, the point of racing was not to finish a respectable fourth place!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:33 (Ref:456775)   #24
Brian W Keske
Racer

I would love to know what some of you would do (if you were a professional driver) if a team in the IRL offered you a seat in a car, plus a nice salary to boot, or a CART offer that wasn't. Zilch, never existed. Would you sit the year out doing nothing?

Sure you would. Quit thinking like fans for once and look from the drivers perspective.

I, personaly, would rather if McNish took a sportscar job, I'm sure there is one out there for him, but you know....money talks.

Belive me, I know, I'm an Indians fan, and had to watck Jim Thome go to the Phillies this past month after saying he wanted to stay in Cleveland....all for the almighty dollar. Did it upset me? sure, for about a couple minutes, but you know what, I can't do anything about it. I'll move on. Jimmy said he left because he 'wanted to win again'....Sure Jimmy, sure ($$$$$$$$$$).

I'm sure Alan would prefer to race in the IRL vs. sportscars or CART.....sure....sure...$$$$$$$$$$
Old 24 Dec 2002, 16:10 (Ref:456843)   #25
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keske would kiss thier butt and say what ever they want him to. Not all of us are built that way, redneck.