Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:33 (Ref:838285)   #1
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Help!! no wonder we are loosing marshals!!

After serveral emails sent to my local BRSCC club and the MSA and BARC I am still non the wiser, the problem I have is that I have a very nice collection of signatures on my upgrading card along with some training ones and my question to the above 'clubs' was what should I do now??

Simple answers on a post card or sealed down enverlope please!

I have also informed them of my interest in becoming involved in crash/extraction teams or safety car as I am a fully trained blue light driver and trained first responder. Again this apparently fell on deaf ears So why is this happening? not a problem with my emails, is it because i'm not a 'old hand'? begging your pardons as I know that nobody would be marsahlling if they were not able and capable, I just feel that the powers upstairs are not interested in myself or proffesional skills?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:57 (Ref:838313)   #2
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What grade are you going to? (novice to course, course to incident marshal, incident marshal to IO, etc..)

Have you got your ten grading signatures, plus training signatures from within the last 12 months?

Who is your primary club (BMMC, BARC, BRSCC, 750MC)?

What's your usual 'home' circuit

Let us know these details, and we'll try and point in the right direction.

Alan.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 19:31 (Ref:838326)   #3
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
Novice to Course, all signatures present and correct, primary club is either BRDC or BRSCC I am a member of both but mainly do BRSCC, 'home' circuit of Brands and Silverstone 50/50.

Cheers Alan
Old 14 Jan 2004, 19:50 (Ref:838345)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you want to get in to rescue, speak direct to the crew chief of your brscc rescue unit
Old 14 Jan 2004, 19:55 (Ref:838348)   #5
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not my area of all knowledge then I'm afraid - I've little contact with the BRSCC, and even less with the BRDC.

Silverstone ES team (BRDC Marshals Club) would be the contact for both grading and Silverstone incident vehicle manning, but you may need to be graded 'incident' before you're considered (a rescue crew type person may be able to advise better (JimW?))

Best wishes
Al.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:19 (Ref:838381)   #6
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Green
but you may need to be graded 'incident' before you're considered (a rescue crew type person may be able to advise better (JimW?))
Here we have a problem, it takes so long for you to work up the grades eg over a year to get to course, when you may well have proffesional qualifications that superseed any training given by clubs eg first aid, fire fighting......

any thoughts???:confused:
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:57 (Ref:838423)   #7
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If deemed suitable, you do not need to hold any specific grade in order to become a Rescue Trainee but you will need to convince the Crew Chief of the Rescue Unit that you want to join that you meet the criteria. Send me a PM and I will point you in the direction of an appropriate unit and Crew Chief. If you have any more 'Rescue' type questions then feel free to post them, there are a number of us lurking here.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:07 (Ref:838435)   #8
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont lurk.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:11 (Ref:838441)   #9
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are most definitely a lurker!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:838447)   #10
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teletubby
You are most definitely a lurker!
I thought you all was
Old 15 Jan 2004, 09:59 (Ref:839020)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by aprescott
Here we have a problem, it takes so long for you to work up the grades eg over a year to get to course, when you may well have proffesional qualifications that superseed any training given by clubs eg first aid, fire fighting......

any thoughts???:confused:
Yes. Does that qualify you to work trackside at a race circuit? How does a first aid cert supercede training on how to push a car? How does fire fighting training supercede how to flag properly?

One of the points of training and grading is to get people used to working in that environment and also to ensure they know what their duties are.

My concern about someone from emergency services coming in, ready graded, with no experience of how marshals work is that their first reaction is going to fall back on their training. Now that is great, in and of itself, but may not be appropriate for the situation in hand.

Those skills are probably more appropriate to rescue and I'm sure any unit will be happy to talk to you. But I don't think those skills automatically entitle you to a marshalling grade you haven't earned.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 15 Jan 2004 at 10:00.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:33 (Ref:839049)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aprescott - if you are a member of the BRDC marshals club, and you have all the signatures required to upgrade then send your card to Pam Dearn at Silverstone Circuit, along with your BRDC white badge if appropiate!
Do make sure you take a photocopy of your grading card prior to sending it anywhere!!

Mark