Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Apr 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3524470)   #26
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on re the restarts. Actually went against Doran for a change.

So embarrassing with the lights. And dangerous, especially as Boy Blunder had barely left the grid when they finally set off. It was done manually for the final, how hard is it to count to 5?

Ibterating about Doran losing finding. Not surprising. I still think he will be out but off the pace again.

So cold at the finish line today!

Albatec have their work cut out to fix Flaherty's car for Portugal..
Old 7 Apr 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3524590)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
Drive of the day Dan Rooke in that Citroën AX.
Agreed - in the first heat I assumed he hadn't taken the joker lap. Kept an eye on him in the second heat and nope - he was just plain fast in that thing!

Quote:
Heard in the paddock Liam has lost monster backing so not sure he'll be in WorldRX.
Yep, I heard that too - can't say it's a huge surprise, the results haven't been great (with a lot of unreliability) and then last years ban won't have endeared him to Monster. Given the choice between sponsoring Solberg or Doran it's a no-brainer really isn't it?

Quote:
Lydden need to sort the starting lights/system out to avoid embarrassment in front of the FIA in May. And we need commentators to at least get the dates right for that event! Also no bins anywhere
I think they got a lot of things badly wrong at the circuit - the lights were as unreliable as ever but as you say the facilities weren't right either. No bins anywhere, no catering at all on the Dover Slope and only a couple in the paddock - the queue for food at lunchtime was ridiculous (fortunately I had plenty with me and a gas burner for bacon rolls ). Toilets on the Dover Slope need demolishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
So embarrassing with the lights. And dangerous
So cold at the finish line today!
The lights seem to be a recurring source of problems - not sure why they can't get them sorted? And yep - very cold over by the start / finish - I was over there for the finals and it was the coldest place around the circuit by some distance!
Old 7 Apr 2015, 08:49 (Ref:3524593)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Should probably say that there was some fantastic racing during the day (seem to have concentrated on the things that weren't so good in that last post)! Tapscott looked to be flying in the Corsa, that looked really hooked up. Really enjoyed the Retro races too - pleased to see Ray Morgan win a heat from the 6R4 and the Minis were lively as ever! The Swifts provided some good action too (but the Juniors looks a lame duck category). So all in all a good day
Old 7 Apr 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3524594)   #29
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Drive of the day Dan Rooke in that Citroën AX.
Agreed. Was expecting him to be good after watching the Croft coverage, but he was exceptionally entertaining. Didn't get a chance to look at his car up close, anyone know what engine he is running?

Quote:
Heard in the paddock Liam has lost monster backing so not sure he'll be in WorldRX.
Didn't hear that one myself. Liam is still tweeting/posting on Facebook with Monster Energy tags, plus this SDRX team can't just have Monster sponsoring one driver, can it?

Quote:
What happened to the jump? Not that it's required (like the joker at Lydden)
I understand it has been flattened out at the request at the drivers. I noticed a lot of drivers seemed to be taking it quite wide, so it actually seemed to be reducing the chances of door-to-door contact at the joker merge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
the queue for food at lunchtime was ridiculous
Yeah. 40+ minutes for a burger and I ended up missing half the third heat. Did Lydden underestimate the size of the crowd? I thought the car park was the busiest its been at a British Rallycross round for some time.

I thought Andy Scott had a bit of luck at Croft, but that was a well deserved win yesterday. Having said that the Supercar final was a bit of a bum note to end the day on. 10 Supercars are an incredible spectacle on the line, but you just knew there was going to be at least one incident at turn one. The third and fourth restarts seemed fumbled and, as said above, Lydden will need to get a handle on that before the World Rallycross.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 09:11 (Ref:3524601)   #30
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I generally enjoyed the days racing, so much better to have the whole meeting in one day and all done by just after 4.30pm though like previously stated shame not to have more Belgians.

Obviosly the supercar final was the big disappointment of the day, seemed ridiculous not to allow Jansson to restart, think he only went back to the paddock because he was following Ollie, it doesn't exactly encourage him to come back and do another British round. Also got a feeling by the 4th restart they just gave up and let it continue. Another point it seemed to take along time for the red flags to come out when a jump start was made usually 3/4 of a lap.

Best racing for me came from the supernationals, the AX was awesome and hopefully will encourage a few others to venture into rallycross from autocross. Anyone know what its got under the bonnet and how much it cost to put on track? A lot less than many in its class I suspect.

Thought the commentary was dreadful and was surprised the young lad who did some last year and has far more knowledge was only in the paddock and not in the box.

As far as the catering was concerned enjoyed a lovely breakfast roll from the hut at the bottom of the paddock while waiting for the prize giving. No queue at all, admittedly it was at 5.00pm!
Old 7 Apr 2015, 09:24 (Ref:3524606)   #31
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A source told me that Doran will be driving for Solberg this year sponsored by Daddy.
I don't think its true about Monster though, why would he still be using their hastag on his facebook page?
Old 7 Apr 2015, 11:04 (Ref:3524641)   #32
bigdick1977
Racer

England
Swindon
bigdick1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Doran and Solberg as 'team mates' but running separately, different transporters, crew etc.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3524648)   #33
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdick1977 View Post
I heard Doran and Solberg as 'team mates' but running separately, different transporters, crew etc.
That is my understanding as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
I don't think its true about Monster though, why would he still be using their hastag on his facebook page?
My thoughts exactly. If Monster were going to drop him, surely they'd have done it when he lost his license, why wait until now?
Old 7 Apr 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3524658)   #34
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly enjoyed myself at Lydden yesterday. Saw most of the supernationals, retros and supercars and had been wondering what's under the bonnet of the AX when it flew around Croft last month. I suspect it's not an engine, but some sort of magic!

I share the frustration of others seeing Jos not being allowed back out of the paddock - he had a punctured tyre replaced before coming back out again. He was there in plenty of time, indeed Proctor had his bonnet off a few feet away from Jos but was still on track, so why wasn';t he allowed back on track for the restart/s? Seeing 10 Supercars for the final was superb, but got whittled down very quickly.... even more reason to let Jansen back out, surely?

Was surprised at Julian Godfrey's (fast) pace yesterday too. Had seemed off the pace in the second half of last season and won the championship with consistency rather than dominating with speed. He was fortunate to finish, though. The nearside rear suspension had broken, the wheel moving back and forth and the car crabbing sideways for the last lap, but he bagged plenty of points. The new colour scheme is wearing out rapidly, so soon back to 2014 colours, maybe!!!?

The long queue for lunch meant I got plenty of peeps looking at my rallycross model display by the Retro Rallycross Arena. In fact, it was busy for me all day with lots of great conversations with rallycross officienados, drivers and teams taking time out to see my 1/43 scale models.

A great day, toilets aside and was a great relief to see Dover Slope so busy... in contrast with last year, which is probably why no-one was selling food there yesterday.

Rallycross was the winner at the end of the day!!!!

Cheers, Steve
Old 7 Apr 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3524669)   #35
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only got to watch on Livestream being in Minneapolis - and whoever arranged for this to be on Livestream THANK YOU! Work interrupted a few times but caught a lot of the day.

- Thought the crowd looked great
- Dan Rook is something else. To someone's earlier comment it just shows talent over budget
- Feel good for Andy. Worked with him a lot in GRC and when I raced the Mk1 in Knockhill and he is a really good guy. Deserves some things to go his way
- Liam is in WRX from everything I hear and let's hope he is. Pat doesn't seem to be funding Lydden as much as he did re investment to get WRX there. With no Liam he may lose all interest and none of us want that
- Was inspired enough to look at future dates and maybe bring the Cosworth out in retro and get Mr. Binks off his backside and get it in a SuperCar again......

Mark
Old 7 Apr 2015, 16:49 (Ref:3524758)   #36
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Was inspired enough to look at future dates and maybe bring the Cosworth out in retro and get Mr. Binks off his backside and get it in a SuperCar again......Mark
Mark, YES and YES!!!

Shirley is always keen to see some quality retro rallycross cars coming out to play! If your Cossie is a genuinely authentic rallycross car, even more so. There will be a quality field of Retro Rallycross cars out on track in May (whichever dates!!) which will be something to behold. The retros certainy put up some very entertaining racing yesterday. How Lance Foster managed to avoid the spinning James Harrold at Paddock in the final, I'll never know, but the Minis were out in force and well worth watching. In fact it was hard to know where to look what with Rob and Ray mixing it out front with James. Superb spectacle (and sounds!!) .

Cheers, Steve
Old 7 Apr 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3524801)   #37
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A prity good days action all told, just a pity that the sun didn't stay out for longer as it got a bit nippy at times. Had a chat with one of the lads looking after Rooke's car and he said it was the 1600cc out of a Citroen Picasso! I hope he can do the rest of the season as he looks untouchable at the moment.

Busiest team of the day was the LDM lads, after every run both DS3 were up on stands and bits all over the place, they look to be really high maintenance bits of kit compared to others.

Felt sorry for Godfery, as he had the edge alday and should have won, but getting a hit from O'Donovan at the Devils Elbow on the first start seams to damaged the left rear which let go later on.

Other notable mentions, young Paige Bellerby in the Lotus Exige, her "Win it or bin in" approche made for sum great watching. Also, despite what the program for both Croft and Lydden has, Proctor's Fiesta is still an 1800cc and not a 2000cc.

As other people have said, the retro's were great to watch, the Beetle looks a real handful when it comes on boost.

One last thing, and this is a bit of a moan, when has it been ok to bring your dog to a race meeting? I ask this as there were as manly people there with their dogs as i would see at my local park. I thought most people would have more sense.

Anyhow, here's my vid of the days action, and if u want to see what happened with A final for the supecars, skip to 47:30 and watch from there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_raOUp8BB0
Old 7 Apr 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3524874)   #38
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You guys are hilarious

I asked the question about Mr Rooke after Croft, what motor, spec is the car. No answer. And someone needs to sponsor him, and find out where the lad is in that old road going ish BMW 320 from last year, two drivers I have seen that certainly are punching well above their weight and deserve more backing and better cars. Where are you rallycross trust? This is what that was for

Is the red KA Powers old car? no answer.

username phobia eh.

Procters new car looks a total dog, very soft just like the Focus, couldn't turn in for toffee. The Doran DS3's look like last years cars if bodywork is anything to go by. Thoise stupid straked bits over the rear wheels?

Does the jump really add anything?
Old 7 Apr 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3524883)   #39
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Chunder, to answer a few bits, i asked Procter about the car being so soft and he said it was just the way he prefered it, when he had a clear run the times were there abouts, but seams like the launch problems are back big time.

From what was said over the pa, the MSA agreed to let the jump stay if it was lowered so now it is just like a hump, didn't make any difference from what i could see.

It was mentioned several times that Rooke was looking for sponsors so hopefully his performance at Lydden and Croft will convince someone to help him.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3524888)   #40
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The Doran DS3's look like last years cars if bodywork is anything to go by. Thoise stupid straked bits over the rear wheels?
I believe Pat's car is one of the Monster cars from last year, not sure exactly which one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Does the jump really add anything?
I actually thought a lot of the drivers were running wider through Chessons as they come off the joker (thus reducing the chance of door-to-door contact), I personally didn't see anyone getting any air off it.
Old 8 Apr 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3525052)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I actually thought a lot of the drivers were running wider through Chessons as they come off the joker (thus reducing the chance of door-to-door contact), I personally didn't see anyone getting any air off it.
Other than the change of line you mention the 'jump' adds nothing - it's not really a jump is it? It's more of a steep down ramp. Kind of pointless really (unnecessary anyway but even more so when it doesn't achieve what it was created for).
Old 9 Apr 2015, 09:54 (Ref:3525331)   #42
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot be the only person who is frustrated with the Retros. Gibson driving on quarter throttle all day, toying with the lesser cars, is not what I want to see or hear from that 6R4. Morgan and Harold were driving flat out and trying to put on a spectacle and were getting messed around with all day. How anyone can think they were keeping up on merit is beyond me.

I would still rather see them mixing with the SuperNationals, which in my eyes is the best class.

Aside from that, and the troubles with the SuperCar A final, I thought it was a great day of racing and I'm looking forward to Mettet and Lydden in May now!
Old 9 Apr 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3525349)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey1 View Post
I cannot be the only person who is frustrated with the Retros. Gibson driving on quarter throttle all day, toying with the lesser cars, is not what I want to see or hear from that 6R4.
Maybe he'll give it more beans when the RS200's appear? I assumed it wasn't just that he wasn't driving flat out - I guessed that the engine was a very conservative one rather than a full on rip snorting rallycross engine?
Old 9 Apr 2015, 11:42 (Ref:3525351)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Maybe he'll give it more beans when the RS200's appear? I assumed it wasn't just that he wasn't driving flat out - I guessed that the engine was a very conservative one rather than a full on rip snorting rallycross engine?
Perhaps he was running it in (I believe he has just had some engine work done?), but on the couple of occasions Gibson properly floored it you could clearly hear (and see) the difference.

I can't recall which race it was, but Gibson came onto the Dover Slope towards the back of the pack, he floored it and blew past half the field on that single straight.

Need Pat to bring his RS200 out and give Gibson someone to properly race with while we are waiting for Terry Maynard to finish rebuilding his car!
Old 9 Apr 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3525352)   #45
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I believe it to be a full rip snorting rallycross engine. On the odd occasion he opened it up, it was fast and sounded awesome. As Steve says, he may have been running it in a little, but he definitely gave it the full beans on a few occasions. Obliterating the opposition.

If Harold's Beetle was 4WD I reckon it would be a match for the 6R4 too.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3525353)   #46
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Rob's engine is a full-on, full-fat V64V which has undergone many new/ replacement parts during its rebuild recently. It's producing approximately 500 bhp, having had decades of development (and use). The car is the real deal - I've been driven in it and can vouch for that!

I can fully understand Rob wanting to run in the engine and treat it conservatively - it's a very expensive piece of kit after all - and make sure it's 100% for the World Rallycross meeting in May. I think we'll see the Metro's horses pulling at full canter when Rob is on the grid alongside Olle Arnesson and others! Bring it on!

Cheers, Steve
Old 9 Apr 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3525378)   #47
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
Rob's engine is a full-on, full-fat V64V which has undergone many new/ replacement parts during its rebuild recently. It's producing approximately 500 bhp, having had decades of development (and use). The car is the real deal - I've been driven in it and can vouch for that!

I can fully understand Rob wanting to run in the engine and treat it conservatively - it's a very expensive piece of kit after all - and make sure it's 100% for the World Rallycross meeting in May. I think we'll see the Metro's horses pulling at full canter when Rob is on the grid alongside Olle Arnesson and others! Bring it on!

Cheers, Steve
Something about his driving style and lines didn't suggest to me he was running the engine in, more that he didn't want to romp away to an easy win.

As you say, hopefully all the noise will be let loose at the World meeting.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 16:48 (Ref:3525434)   #48
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
.... in which case, it will be fascinating to compare lap times with the current batch of Supercars! Hmmmm!

Steve
Old 9 Apr 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3525484)   #49
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You sure Harrolds Beetle isnt 4wd? Petes old car was and isnt it based on that?

Anyway, tooling round is nothing new in rallycross, watch some of those TVS event from the 80's and a lot of those races were staged for tv aswell.

It is frustrating seeing that car being driven on no anger at al, but Rob has had many years of battling, and many years of being one of the most forceful men in rallycross, I think he has deserved a rest
Old 9 Apr 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3525497)   #50
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Chunder,

James Harrold is running his Uncle Peter's car - its' one and the same vehicle.

Whilst Peter did run a four wheel drive transmission in the car for a period, James is running it with power to the rear only. Likewise with Barry Stewart's Porsche 911, which was RWD, then 4WD and back to RWD again as it is now.

Hickey, I was thinking along similar lines on Monday - if the Harrold Beetle was 4WD and with its 500 bhp now being more reliable, he should be able to give Rob a good run!!

That said, it is possible that, before the end of this season, there will be two RS200s joining the Retro Rallycross Challenge and one of those is the ex-Trevor Hopkins car, discussed elsewhere on another thread.