Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Sep 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1086269)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Porsche 917-20 "The Pig"

Porsche 917-20 "The Pig"

The nickname "The Pig" of this car is clear. Why did Porsche use this livery? (Where they sponsored by the Union of German Butchers? )
Old 3 Sep 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1086307)   #2
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't the first 917 already nicknamed as pig by some drivers due to its difficult handling?

But still the Pink Pig is one of those cars that is hideous in a way it becomes likeable.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1086317)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
First 917s were called "The Ulcer". Pink Pig took this name given the livery and its "piggish" shape. The livery is done to reflect cuts of pork. The story goes that there was a competition between Porsche's aerodynamacists and the French consultant aero. at SERA inthe development of the 917/20. The SERA guys "won" and the German graphic designers took some offense and hence alot of liberty with the car's graphics...
Old 3 Sep 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1086320)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
Weren't the first 917 already nicknamed as pig by some drivers due to its difficult handling?
Don't know about the nickname, but early 917s were not easy to handle.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
But still the Pink Pig is one of those cars that is hideous in a way it becomes likeable.
Indeed
Old 4 Sep 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1086860)   #5
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for any of you collectors out there, MINICHAMPS did both a 1/43 and 1/18th version of the car. they occasionally show up on ebay....
Old 5 Sep 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1087651)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't the early 917s break in half a lot?
Or is that some other car I'm thinking of...
Old 5 Sep 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1087711)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think they broke in half !!!

Thought they were had to handle because of the very high speed they could do and dubious aerodynamic's that caused high speed lift.

Nobody really understood to lift/ground effect's then and it was a steep learning curve, one driver (Jo Bonnier or Rolf Stommlen ???) was called to test the car's. He was amazed he was called but latter found out that none of the works driver's would touch the thing because of the erratic handling.......I think

S
Old 6 Sep 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1087875)   #8
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
First 917s were called "The Ulcer". Pink Pig took this name given the livery and its "piggish" shape. The livery is done to reflect cuts of pork. The story goes that there was a competition between Porsche's aerodynamacists and the French consultant aero. at SERA inthe development of the 917/20. The SERA guys "won" and the German graphic designers took some offense and hence alot of liberty with the car's graphics...
when student in 80/81, I meet the SERA chief engineer, (I think his name was Mr Choulet). He had done the aerodynamic analysis after the accident of Pescarolo's Matra, and proposed a solution to Matra, but the manufacturer had choosen to go to open cars. All this study was the basis of the later 917 design by SERA
Old 6 Sep 2004, 07:55 (Ref:1087884)   #9
model1op43
Rookie

model1op43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story i know is that the 917/20 was a compromise between the well handling 917K and the 917L which was much quicker in a straight line but very hard to handle.
The result was a very wide and stubbish car which looked "like a pig"....
Old 6 Sep 2004, 08:39 (Ref:1087906)   #10
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the 917 site :http://www.cknet.org.uk/forum/default.asp and everywhere else that takes you - bound to be answer there
Old 6 Sep 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1088076)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think its a magnificent looking car! Knocks the spots (pink one's probably) off an R8 any day...
Old 6 Sep 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1088170)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The 917/20 is one of the best looking sports cars ever built in my mind...
Old 6 Sep 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1088354)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Didn't the early 917s break in half a lot?
Not quite break in half, but they used to fill the chassis with gas as a way to tell if the chassis was in tip top condition! Here is frank Gardner's view (related to Nigel Roebuck):
Quote:
This was one of the very first 917s, with an alloy chassis, which was gas-filled. There was a big gauge in the cockpit, which measured the gas pressure, and that was there to keep you informed of the chassis's condition. If it zeroed, they said, that meant that the chassis was broken, and I should drive mit care back to the pits.

"Once I knew what the gauge was for, I also knew that if it zeroed I wasn't going to drive it mit care anywhere. I was going to park the ******* there and then, pick up my Deutschmarks and get home to Mum...
Old 6 Sep 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1088452)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol - nice one Adam.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1088618)   #15
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The Woolfe accident, fatal, at White House in 69-the car did break in half, but that was after a huge accident.

Porche built new chassis for each race. They did the same with the 908 and 907.

That is a great quote. Drive mit care!
Old 7 Sep 2004, 01:28 (Ref:1088688)   #16
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A similar looking car, the one-off Matra 640 coupe, flipped in testing.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 03:20 (Ref:1088721)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
A similar looking car, the one-off Matra 640 coupe...
Would make sense as I beleive the SERA boys did the Matra as well.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 7 Sep 2004 at 03:22.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1088860)   #18
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Not quite break in half, but they used to fill the chassis with gas as a way to tell if the chassis was in tip top condition! Here is frank Gardner's view (related to Nigel Roebuck):
Gardner drove the 917 at the Nurburgring 1000km in '69, which was something like it's second ever race. If I remember the story correctly, he and David Piper were called in because none of the regular factory drivers fancied the idea of driving it at the 'Ring....
Old 7 Sep 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1088887)   #19
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that story, according to most porsche books, is true. Factory drivers were not very keen about testing and racing the 917 in the begining of its development because its fearsome behaviour and power. Brian Redman was called from weissach to test, and himself called Jo Siffert to ask why, and was answered jokingly that: "we let the others find out what breaks first..." (Redman himself refused after hearing that...)
Most intriguing is the fact that, as David Piper said, if I remember correctly, the short tail aerodynamics that cured that problem was "inspired" by that of Piper´s Lola T 70...