Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1506596)   #1
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch Viewing

Why on earth can't Brands remove the Blue shuttering on the origional debris fence on the entrance to Paddock!!

I know years back it was put up jointly as a safety measure to stop the access rd being blocked by spectators (as it narrows just there cause of the tunnell) and after a couple of take off shunts.

Now the 2nd (Indycar) fence is up and Palmer is wanting to make improvements, can't they remove it and bring back actually being able to view cars on the brakes into Paddock!!!

This was allways THE SPOT bring it back!!!!!

I have actually written to Brands on this issue but they didnot even have the courtesy to reply!!
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1506669)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman

I have actually written to Brands on this issue but they didnot even have the courtesy to reply!!
Typical,they have no interest in attracting paying spectators.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1506674)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Typical,they have no interest in attracting paying spectators.
I don't believe that is true at all. Why else would MotorSport Vision have put so much effort into improving facilities for all of the circuits users, and gone to the trouble of attracting major international championships?
Old 22 Jan 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1506686)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I don't believe that is true at all. Why else would MotorSport Vision have put so much effort into improving facilities for all of the circuits users, and gone to the trouble of attracting major international championships?
Please tell me how facilites have been improved for the paying spectator? A perfectly good covered stand was demolished and not replaced without explanation.Viewing has got worse not better since I first went in 1955. Any money spent seems to be for the benefit of sponsors.If that brings in major championships that get TV coverage then I guess that is for the good of the 'sport' and we will have to be content to stay home and watch on our 42inch screens?
Old 22 Jan 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1506693)   #5
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Quote:
Please tell me how facilites have been improved for the paying spectator? A perfectly good covered stand was demolished and not replaced without explanation.Viewing has got worse not better since I first went in 1955. Any money spent seems to be for the benefit of sponsors.If that brings in major championships that get TV coverage then I guess that is for the good of the 'sport' and we will have to be content to stay home and watch on our 42inch screens?
Totally agree!! Brands thinks all us spectators want is better burgers and Toilets. Personally IMO the view of the racing is the number 1 priority and what improvements have they made for that! NONE
Old 22 Jan 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1506695)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For a start, it is no good comparing now with 1995. You need to compare now with the start of 2004, when MSV took over the running of the circuits.

To cite just two examples, toilet and catering facilities have improved at all MSV circuits in that time. The improvement of other facilities, even if they are directly used by competitors rather than spectators, ultimately benefit the general public indirectly.

MSV are keen that all of their race meetings are of a high standard and there is evidence that they want to take more control of meeting content. This is of benefit to spectators.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1506697)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Totally agree!! Brands thinks all us spectators want is better burgers and Toilets. Personally IMO the view of the racing is the number 1 priority and what improvements have they made for that! NONE
Brands Hatch has many excellent vantage points. Viewing on the Indy circuit is almost unmatched by any other circuit in the UK.

I'm slightly surprised you didn't get a response to your comments to MSV by the way, JP is usually very good at replying to comments directly.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1506726)   #8
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Brands Hatch has many excellent vantage points. Viewing on the Indy circuit is almost unmatched by any other circuit in the UK.

I'm slightly surprised you didn't get a response to your comments to MSV by the way, JP is usually very good at replying to comments directly.
Why can't they even bother to remove the now defunct origional debris fence at the top of Paddock so we don't have to look through two!!!!!!
Old 22 Jan 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1506799)   #9
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands can't take down the metal fence at the top of Paddock for Health and Safety reasons as that road is an emergency road and therefore needs to kept as clear as possible for medical services to get through if they have to. Can you imagine an ambulance or medical car trying to get through that part of the venue on a shout and ppeole nit moving because thet don't want to lose their spot. What would you think if a friend or relative of your died because the medical team could not get there in time because of the crowd at the top of Paddock where the metal is?
Old 22 Jan 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1506809)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
This does not make any sense.I do not recall any problem with access in the past.Used to watch from the top of paddock often.Whatever was changed that caused the problem needs to be changed back the way it was in the 70s.
Suggestions for MSV;rebuild the startline stand with built in loos and bars.
Provide some public transport service,chaos at A1GP meeting means I am unlikely to go again.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1506817)   #11
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This does not make any sense.I do not recall any problem with access in the past.Used to watch from the top of paddock often.Whatever was changed that caused the problem needs to be changed back the way it was in the 70s.
Suggestions for MSV;rebuild the startline stand with built in loos and bars.
Provide some public transport service,chaos at A1GP meeting means I am unlikely to go again.
What changed was the building of the second paddock tunnel which narrowed the area there. The HSE says that the metal at Paddock stays besides that metal also stop spectators from being injured by flying debris as that area is an 'popular' impact point ( BTCC finals last year for example). A fence can't stop pieces of metal, carbon fibre or gravel going into that area but metal can and in todays society of sueing for anything MSV can't take that chance.

MSV need planning permission to rebuild the Startline stand as Octagon failed to rebuild the stand when they knocked it down and since the rea is greenbelt SDC are very unlikely to grant that at the moment

Public transport in the area is a joke at all times. MSV can't force the local bus service to be improved for race days
Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1506833)   #12
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Well why don't they spend some money and make the area wider with some small earthworks around the tunnel

As for the flying debris whatever happened to the disclaimer on the back of tickets and anyway no-one has ever been seriously injured by gravel. Just shut your eyes!! There are plenty of other spots around the country where gravel or C fibre could go through fences what are we going to do blank them all off!!

I always used to watch there and now we all know it is safe because of the bigger debris fence.

Improvements for spectator viewing just never seem to happen apart from raised viewing banks further and further away totally diluting the feeling of speed. The sooner someone has the balls to say lets get back to putting the thrill into spectating the better but I fear it will never happen for the reasons of totally over the top safety for drivers and spectators.

If at the end of the day our sport dies due to lack of attendance this will be in my opinion by far the biggest contributing factor.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1506844)   #13
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Just behind the road is a fence which stops people falling onto the tunnel road whic is only a maximum of 6 feet from that fence. You can't eaily make a bigger area there. As I said earlier MSV can't take that metal away even if they wanted to because of Health and Safety rules. It is not safe to watch from that point as 1) it is a narrow and a large crowd standing there would impead emergancy services and 2) a debris fence doesn't stop all debris. It only stops large pieces of debris. Any circuits number one responsabilty is safety to its customers.

The disclaimer on the back of the tickets doesn't stop people from sueing
Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1506845)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Some might say it has already died if one looks at the size of crowds compared to the 60s when I was out every weekend. How to deal with the 'compensation culture' is a subject for another thread I guess.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1506867)   #15
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some might say it has already died if one looks at the size of crowds compared to the 60s when I was out every weekend. How to deal with the 'compensation culture' is a subject for another thread I guess.
"Ascarmarshal" basically is correct in all his observations about the restricted area behind the blue screening at Paddock. Access is very narrow and it is paramount that emergency vehicles can get through. Also, the drop into the Tunnel Mouths is considerable. Basically, nobody wants any static crowd in that area!
You will never see the crowds of the Sixties return. Why??, amongst other considerations, the magnificent cover afforded by many TV Channels of prime race meetings, especially many of them live. I, no longer have any involvement with the British Grand Prix as the TV coverage is excellent, factual, and can be seen from one's armchair. Agreed, you can not milk the atmosphere, but a small price to pay.
In respect of letters to Brands, unanswered?, Who were they directed at?? Jonathan Palmer go to great lengths to be aware of, and deal with any items concerning the running of his five Circuits!!
Old 24 Jan 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1508412)   #16
mark77
Rookie

mark77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a related Subject Silverstone has now put concrete blocks preventing car access to all banks. No idea why since theres only one man and dog there normally
Old 25 Jan 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1508610)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe that guy complained because of his dog?
Old 25 Jan 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1508652)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Probably another 'politically correct' safety issue? Are cars ever allowed on South Bank at Brands anymore? I seem to recall it was reserved for the Sheiks hospitality tent at A1GP.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1508657)   #19
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Probably another 'politically correct' safety issue? Are cars ever allowed on South Bank at Brands anymore? I seem to recall it was reserved for the Sheiks hospitality tent at A1GP.
The simple answer is yes. It depends on the meeting.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1508948)   #20
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
The simple answer is yes. It depends on the meeting.
The majority of Race Meetings STILL allow cars onto the South Bank, however, this is sometimes restricted as the surface is grass and steep, and cars get stuck on their way out. Also, for a major meeting access by road is restricted as the outlet has to be via the Main Gate onto the A20, along with about another three Public Car Park exits. Once all these internal roads become blocked there is no way emergency and service vehicles can get through. The Medical Centre is about half way between the South Bank, and the Main Gate!! We did try once opening a back gate by Hailwoods Restaurant onto Scratchers Lane, which was marginally successful, but only as the A20 was closed due to a RTA between West Kingsdown and the M20.
A wonderful solution would be a flyover exit onto the M20 behind the Paddock Entrance, but could you see John Prescott funding this. The flyover would only interfere with the Pink Pigs overhead!!!!