Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2570491)   #1
schitarella
Rookie

schitarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how was the SuperGP overall? success or bomb?

Hi I've been to this event when it ran with Champcar a few years ago and it seemed to be a great success. As I didn't follow it this year can you guys in Australia give me an idea of how successful this event was without Indycars and with the no-show of A1GP.

Was the event considered a bit of a flop or did V8's pick up from where the event left off in recent years and the whole sage not bother anyone too much?

What about ticket sales and finances and the general public's view of this years event?

Can the event continue to run with just V8's or does it need some international flavor?

Thanks
Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:57 (Ref:2570501)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In my opinion, it was a flop.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 04:02 (Ref:2570504)   #3
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
My thoughts are

1) crowd seemed down, there just did'nt seem to be as many people on unit/hotel balconies. Just my observations.

2) The gumint should take a good look at Adelaide. They lost the F1 and
instead of bleating about it, they got off their collective @rses & did something about it.

3) if the Indy Cars ( or whatever their series is called) are the big drawcard why was the last V8 Race after the Indy car race. You don't put the Beatles on before the Bay City Rollers.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 04:14 (Ref:2570510)   #4
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marcos WTF, by the time of the last IndyCar event, the V8s were pretty much an equal draw card.

Regardless of that, the reason that the V8s went last was because in Qld in October you get a lot of afternoon thunderstorms. Needless to say, touring cars can handle that better than open wheelers. Since the thunderstorms usually didn't hit until 2-3pm at the earliest (although not always) they decided to move the Indycars to an earlier time slot.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2570515)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it was a flop.

I've always doubted that they get an accurate crowd count. People sneak in before the event, overnight, then there is the old pass shuffle through the gate. Are the punters in buildings like the Holiday Inn counted? A lot of people live within the circuit proper, and even the apartments that are vacated for the week tend to be taken over by large groups of people.

The crowd did appear to be down, but I doubt it was by a third. The papers are reporting that trading in town was down 10%, so did the punters who did front up spend up much more than normal?

The thing that gets me is that normally for these events, crowd numbers aren't accurately calculated until the middle of the week following. Therefore the numbers are always a guesstimate. Would be interesting to see what the real figures are...
Old 27 Oct 2009, 05:38 (Ref:2570527)   #6
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Event compared to 2008 : BOMBED OUT @ crowd less 30%
Whincup: BOMBED
Davison: SUCCESS
Frosty and GT: SUCCESS
VESA Rules: What the? = Major BOMBED
QLD Premier: BOMBED telling us everything is great when clearly it is NOT.

You can add as many excuses and disclaimers as you like, but the above says it for me.

Adelaide can hold a V8SC only event, because as a city it basically offers very little else event/tourism wise to the motorsport fan (one V8 event per year in the state vs 3 in Qld, no offence about Adelaide meant to anyone). The Surfers event needs the glamour of a major international series to draw those who typically would have no interest in going to a V8SC only or Qld Raceway type event (Qld now has 3x V8SC events, all pulling at each other to varying degrees). The connotation of a major open wheel event has a much higher glamometer reading than a V8 Falcon vs Commodore event. There is no-doubt that the V8SC is a vital (read compulsory) element to the event's success, but on its own doesn't cut the mustard for the scale of disruption to the precinct and its residents.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2570547)   #7
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite a few traders who operate in the precinct have stated that their figures for the week ending Monday was down around 40% on previous years , accommodation houses are yet to give their summation but they are guessing at about 30% down on last year .
For die hard race fans the events were a processional snooze fest handled by incompetent officials , the organizers should be glad that most of the 105 countries (localities) whom were to receive the broadcast didn't air it as it makes us look pretty bloody stupid.
The Gold Coast is an International Holiday location , the V8s aren't going to bring foreign tourists with their bulging wallets -- the whole thing needs a re-think IMHO.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2570644)   #8
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How much do you want a bet that any race fan from north of Rockhampton went to Townsville instead????

There's your crowd drop....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2570674)   #9
gossie
Rookie

gossie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've been to most of the racing at Surfers having only missed '91 and '05.
I love the V8s and did enjoy them over the weekend, as well as the older race cars and drivers.
Without doubt the crowds were down.......last figure I heard was about 200,000 over the 4 days whereas last year was 300,000 odd.

Gold Coast is promoted as a holiday destination to the world and as much as I would like to see the V8s as the main event that class alone I believe will not bring overseas people in to holiday and spend the 'hard earned'.

Let's face it, the Government whether you love them or hate them do put up big dollars up front and should expect to get a fair return. It is our money don't forget, they are spending.

Surfers Paradise does show up very well if you happen to watch it on TV
An 'International' type event will have to be found to add the sizzle to bring those overseas people as well as Aussies in, and to be able to show the world the sensational surrounds with live TV coverage..........but what event???????????
Perhaps re-negotiate the Indy cars and or perhaps Nascars as was done in the '90s.
I'm sure most of us would like to see Marcos showing his skills here......and the other guys too on a 'twisty' track.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2570781)   #10
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
An 'International' type event will have to be found to add the sizzle to bring those overseas people
Ok Ok I'll be there next year.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2570925)   #11
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR's were a local variant and not the US version - keep in mind the only reason they appeared was because Champ Cars were not FIA affiliated back then and CAMS did everything they could to stop the event from taking place (even recall seeing one grid of 'poetic' names as drivers simply to stop CAMS doing their usual recrimination act).

Quote:
3) if the Indy Cars ( or whatever their series is called) are the big drawcard why was the last V8 Race after the Indy car race. You don't put the Beatles on before the Bay City Rollers.
No but if you are in a time zone well ahead of where the group normally get shown on TV, you will do anything you can to push their start forward so it isn;t being shown at 2 or 3 in the morning (seem to recall one year the main event starting at something like 10 am because of this - 3rd or 4th year from whet I have been told).
Old 27 Oct 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2570943)   #12
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the support card is very poor now, when I was able to attend in the 90's we had GT, V8's, Super Tourers, Sports Sedans, Nascar etc, plenty to keep the crowd entertained, the support card is very thin now, especially compared to the Clipsal.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 01:20 (Ref:2571102)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans type cars would be great fix. 10x as much variety in chassis then Indycar over LMP1 and LMP2... It seems like every man and his dog with a machine shop and some sheets of carbon has had a go at building a prototype.. even if it is 5+ seconds off a front running car!

There could be an additional lower category added for the local GT cars if the FIA aren't too picky about their rules, which would be great fun.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 03:03 (Ref:2571128)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Le Mans type cars would be great fix. 10x as much variety in chassis then Indycar over LMP1 and LMP2... It seems like every man and his dog with a machine shop and some sheets of carbon has had a go at building a prototype.. even if it is 5+ seconds off a front running car!

There could be an additional lower category added for the local GT cars if the FIA aren't too picky about their rules, which would be great fun.
With all the turmoil in the other single seater championships below F1, I think going the sportscar route would be sensible in this era of "Gran Turismo". Australia doesn't get much in the way of world class sports car racing and I think some of the championships out there would be interested, so I hope they look that way instead.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 03:34 (Ref:2571134)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
edit: how about I read what someone else posted.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 05:38 (Ref:2571156)   #16
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With all the turmoil in the other single seater championships below F1, I think going the sportscar route would be sensible in this era of "Gran Turismo". Australia doesn't get much in the way of world class sports car racing and I think some of the championships out there would be interested, so I hope they look that way instead.
Probably because every time it has been tried it has nearly (or totally) bankrupt the promoter (LCCA for example).

They have never been a popular category downunder and unlikely they ever will be. Same with open wheelers (with the exception of F5000's and F1).

Which, if the QLD Govt truly wants international exposure, really doesn't leave them with much at all.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2571164)   #17
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dunno...

A poster with a sleek Audi R15 and Pug 908, in "head-to-head" combat over a 3/6hr/500/1000km race could be a good draw card? (If they can get the right teams, or semi-works variations thereof across)

It's not like any of the punters will have heard of 80% of the IRL or 99% of the A1 drivers anyway... So the folks on the hill can watch the (very) exotic cars round without being too bothered that the drivers are mostly wealthy amateurs. And then the V8s can bring well known names and biff and barge racing.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2571178)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macau for the 56th time .. international

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Probably because every time it has been tried it has nearly (or totally) bankrupt the promoter (LCCA for example).

They have never been a popular category downunder and unlikely they ever will be. Same with open wheelers (with the exception of F5000's and F1).

Which, if the QLD Govt truly wants international exposure, really doesn't leave them with much at all.

Try linking with Macau ... F3 ... into Asia & Europe, not the US???

This years F3 entrants:
http://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/gp...d=1919&lang=en

From wiki:
In 1983, it was decided by the organisers that since Formula Atlantic was becoming obsolete, the race would be held as a Formula Three event. Initially, they wanted to run a F2 race, but as they were unwilling to make any large circuit modifications, which included cutting down trees, the organisers settled for F3. This turned out to be a right decision, given the fact that since then it has raised the reputation of the event in the motorsport world by attracting the best young drivers from Europe and Japan to compete in the event. The first F3 race was won by a young Ayrton Senna. The race in 1990 was a memorable one, as Michael Schumacher and Mika Häkkinen were involved in a controversial incident when they were in positions 1 and 2 going into the final lap. At the main straight just after the Mandarin Oriental Bend, Häkkinen hit the back of Schumacher's car and crashed out when he attempted to overtake Schumacher. Schumacher's car was able to continue with its rear wing damaged and eventually won the race with the best aggregate time. Other notable winners include Formula One drivers David Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher and Takuma Sato. Since the introduction of F3 races, the Macau GP has gradually become a stepping stone for many F3 drivers to higher class motor-racing competitions such as the GP2 series and Formula One.

Last edited by cavvy; 28 Oct 2009 at 07:00. Reason: clarity
Old 28 Oct 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2571307)   #19
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If we can spring a co-operative deal with Macau it would be ideal.
Mix it with the V8s that would bring in the Boobs and Booze mob.
1 or 2 hr twilight race for local GTs and sports cars to attract the Champers and Chic set
International F3 featuring all the future superstars for the real race fans and to get a guernsey on International TV into Europe and Asia.
Let's do it.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2571414)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Macau and similar F3 events generally only get a highlights package internationally, although the WTCC goes out live on Eurosport. Champ Car and IRL have always had fairly extensive live coverage, however, and I get the impression that the kudos of having a live international event is what the politicos of Surfers desire most.

Curiously, the V8 coverage for this event up here is less than it is for a normal round. Motors generally show delayed but full coverage. The only trace I can find this time is a highlights show on Channel 5, although that is a free-to-air channel, not satelite.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2571500)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post

On it's own perhaps, but with an event with the stature of the Gold Coast, I think it would do well to attract the younger generation and the old geezers that liked the old sports car days.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2571638)   #22
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do the S2000 cars still race at the Macau F3 event?
Old 28 Oct 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2571644)   #23
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
On it's own perhaps, but with an event with the stature of the Gold Coast, I think it would do well to attract the younger generation and the old geezers that liked the old sports car days.
I should probably be offended by that, but, I'm not.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2571846)   #24
xr8
Racer

Australia
sydney
xr8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I particullary liked the banners that said "WHO NEEDS A1 WHEN YOU GOT****ANYWAY"
Old 29 Oct 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2571859)   #25
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the event a success - no. I commend thought those who came in to make sure an event happened.

It lacked a lot of things. Apart from the cars, and the people - it majorly lacked atmosphere. Seemed black and white compared to previous years.

They did learn a lot this year - about what this race needs and what it can, and cannot survive on.

My 2c on what we need - SuperGT. Corporate money goes into it, people should be attracted to it and it has TV in some primo tourism markets...