Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Mar 2003, 04:04 (Ref:549578)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Closed cockpits

I realisr that the design theory behind Prototypes i that it has room for a passenger, but the loop hole of having a single seat witha roll hoop starting with BMW, then PANOZ, then Audi and the rest, how did this get by the rules? and Why haven't any team try this with closed cockpit LMP?
Old 27 Mar 2003, 04:13 (Ref:549582)   #2
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They didn't really get around it. If you look at the cockpit from above there's space for two seats. True, the second seat doesn't have a roll hoop right now, but it is required to under the 2004 rules.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 04:49 (Ref:549587)   #3
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that it was intended to loop-hole the fact that there was only one driver (and no "passengers") in the car, thus, only one person to protect in the event of an accident.

I'm likely wrong, but it seems to make sense to me.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 07:25 (Ref:549648)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you put a roof on it, it's a GTP with illegal, fat tyres....
I wonder if they can put a windsreen round it since it's optional, and leave a smallish opening in the top to make it conform to the rules...
Old 27 Mar 2003, 20:13 (Ref:550375)   #5
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've often wondered that myself. But I've usually come to the conclusion that the ACO would rule it out arbitrarily
Old 27 Mar 2003, 22:59 (Ref:550546)   #6
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Closed cockpits

Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
I realisr that the design theory behind Prototypes i that it has room for a passenger, but the loop hole of having a single seat witha roll hoop starting with BMW, then PANOZ, then Audi and the rest, how did this get by the rules?
It didn't get by the rules; it was in the rules from the beginning (1995). The ACO rules for rollover structure specified either a full-width hoop, much like that mandated by IMSA WSC regulations, or they mandated a single hoop for driver protection only complying with FIA Sporting Code Appendix J, Art. 274.15.3 which specifies rollover structures and load testing for F3000 hoops.

From 1995 to the present both types have been allowed and used. The Ferraris, Courages, and Riley & Scotts used the full width, while only the WR Peugeots used the single hoop, that is until '99 when BMW decided to do so as well. The thing holding back other manufacturers from using the single hoop before that was that most teams running LMPs at Le Mans also had interest in running those cars in IMSA (Ferrari, R&S, Courage, Kremer).

Here's a cut n' paste of the rules from '97. Notice 3.7.3:

Quote:
3.7 - Rollover structures :
3.7.1 - Front and rear rollover structures are mandatory.
Rollover structures must :
     a/ Be made of seamless mild steel tubes or steel alloy (diameter : 45 mm; wall : 2,5 mm);
     b/ Be at least 66 cm (at the front) and 102 cm (at the rear) above the Reference Plane;
     c/ Be separated longitudinally a minimum of 76 cm.

3.7.2 -Rollover structure for driver s and passenger s protection.
     a/ The front rollover structure must meet the following requirements :
  • Be symmetrical to the longitudinal centreline of the car;
  • The upper part shall comply with Art. 3.7.1.b (66 cm minimum above the flat bottom) and Art. 3.7.4 which follows;
  • No part of the steering wheel, whatever its position, is allowed higher than the rollover structure.
     b/ The rear rollover structure must meet the following requirements
  • Be symmetrical in relation to the car longitudinal centreline;
  • Minimum overall width at bodywork level : 90 cm;
  • A diagonal reinforcement bar starting from the top of the hoop (driver s side) and connected as a minimum to the middle point of the chassis/monocopque structure;
  • Two rearward facing braces connected to the top of the hoop.
  • The upper horizontal section of the rollbar (50 cm minimum in length) shall meet Art. 3.7.1.b (at least 102 cm above the flat bottom) and 3.7.4 below.
3.7.3. - Rollover structure for driver s protection only :
     a/ Front rollover structure : No part of the steering wheel, whatever its position, is allowed higher than the rollover structure.
     b/ Front and rear rollover structure : they must comply with :
  • The above Art. 3.7.1 (b and c);
  • The specifications of International Sporting Code - Appendix J - Art. 274.15.3 (Formula 3000) with W ( stands for weight) = 1000 kg.