Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Oct 2001, 14:16 (Ref:154245)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back from Kansas Speedway

The race wasn't too bad but the track will provide better races once there is a second groove worked in. You could really tell that the second groove between turn 1 and 2 wasn't working. Cars in the second groove had to back off and loose positions.

I was real disappointed with Bobby Labonte's driving. For a former champion, he pulled a real rookie mistake. Bobby was the one who crashed Dale Jarrett by trying to make it three wide going into turn 1. He had to have known DJ was there because DJ began passing him on the outside shortly after the start/finish line. Bobby didn't like his prospects on staying behind the lapped 32 car so he decides to move over forcing DJ out towards the wall. And then he doesn't back out soon enough tapping DJ's rear sending him into a spin.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 23:34 (Ref:154609)   #2
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an allright race from what I saw(I missed most of it to watch the F1 race at Indy).

And the best man on the track won . Doesn't get any better then that does it?.

Gordon rules .

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 1 Oct 2001 at 23:36.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 23:37 (Ref:154611)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
did bobby and dj have words ..... seems dj's title hopes are all gone now
Old 2 Oct 2001, 01:16 (Ref:154622)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gomick
did bobby and dj have words ..... seems dj's title hopes are all gone now
No. DJ was unconscious for bit but regained consciousness and walked to the ambulance himself. So, I doubt that there were any words that could have been exchanged. However, Bobby and DJ generally get along just fine because they almost have to. Bobby's crew chief is married to DJ's sister. In the post-race interviews, Bobby said that he was going to call DJ later that night.

As far as DJ's title hopes, yes they are long gone and were in my opinion before this race anyway. DJ had a terrible month of August and that is what blew his title hopes.
Old 2 Oct 2001, 03:29 (Ref:154646)   #5
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're being a little bit harsh on Bobby, Joe (IMHO). Watching the incident on TV gave me a different impression to what you described. I think Bobby was taken by surprise at how slow Craven was - he was already slowing down when DJ came up on him and wasn't left much option but to try to squeeze around him. You said yourself how difficult it was out of the groove, and both Bobby and DJ were really out there (especially DJ!). I may be wrong, but they approached the turn 3 wide and when they got in there it looked like DJ tried to get down into the bottom groove before he had cleared Bobby. It really looked to me like DJ cut across Bobby's bow pretty sharply.

Sure they could have both used a bit more caution - given each other a bit more room - had a little more respect for a new track - who knows? I'm just glad DJ wasn't hurt worse than he was.
Old 2 Oct 2001, 04:06 (Ref:154648)   #6
Joe Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Emfa
I think you're being a little bit harsh on Bobby, Joe (IMHO). Watching the incident on TV gave me a different impression to what you described. I think Bobby was taken by surprise at how slow Craven was - he was already slowing down when DJ came up on him and wasn't left much option but to try to squeeze around him. You said yourself how difficult it was out of the groove, and both Bobby and DJ were really out there (especially DJ!). I may be wrong, but they approached the turn 3 wide and when they got in there it looked like DJ tried to get down into the bottom groove before he had cleared Bobby. It really looked to me like DJ cut across Bobby's bow pretty sharply.

Well, I was there and I watched the whole thing unfold. From the replay, I can see where some people will think that it was Jarrett's fault--thinking that DJ cut across in front of Bobby. However, Bobby was in the lane behind Craven and decided to move over into the next lane after he saw the 4 car and DJ passing him. This caused DJ to move over, putting them three wide and then they ran out of room. DJ had no choice but to cut over in front of Bobby. Bobby put them three wide and then wasn't able to back out of it without hitting someone.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 02:02 (Ref:155129)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the TV replay showed things a little different Joe...it really did look like Jarret cut across the front of Labonte..but I guess it shows that TV can give a strange view on incidents like that.

but what an amazing race ..top facility I must say..I watched both the cup race and the busch race and was impressed with both of them..I know not many people like Robby Gordon to much but he did a great job in the Busch race ..just a shame his team made a mistake in the pit stop...and as for Harvicks comments..hmmm very interesting but i guess its dog eat dog out on the track.

and well done to Ryan newman on another great drive..just ran out of time and steam i think but a good drive indeed.

bring on the next one.

and well done Kansas on a fantastic event.