Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 4 Nov 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3588257)   #16
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based purely on the time period you've given, I'd have to say Aiello & Menu.

Based on the entirety of their careers, I'd say Giovanardi, Muller & Ravaglia.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 10:12 (Ref:3588332)   #17
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
strange that noone has considered Winkelhock or Cecotto in the own favourite list.

so i ask you: who would u prefer between them 2?
Old 5 Nov 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3588340)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Winkelhock was a charming guy, although got involved i a few incidents. Cecotto was a touring car great, shame the 95 BTCC BMW wasn't up to it.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 16:47 (Ref:3588388)   #19
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Winkelhock was a charming guy, although got involved i a few incidents. Cecotto was a touring car great, shame the 95 BTCC BMW wasn't up to it.

well honestly i never understood how was possible that in 1995 bmw won the title in stw, french supertourisme and jtcc but it was not at all competitive in btcc (not even a podium) and in italian superturismo (just 2 win as best result but never fighting for the title in the whole season).

ok in italian superturismo the bmw had the yokohama tyres who maybe were not performance as michelin but in btcc cecotto had michelin tyres same as winkelohock in stw so for me it remain a real mistery why they got so low results.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3588399)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair the results did start to pick up when the weight penalty. But don't forget Schnitzer left the series at the end of 1994, and were taken over by a team that I can't remember the name of.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3588403)   #21
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
taken over by a team that I can't remember the name of.
Team Warthofer, based at the Nurburgring.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3588413)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Aiello

Winning STW, BTCC and DTM...
Old 17 Nov 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3591025)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
To be fair the results did start to pick up when the weight penalty. But don't forget Schnitzer left the series at the end of 1994, and were taken over by a team that I can't remember the name of.
Britain was not a priority for them that year and they were a bit surprised by the development of the some of the others imo?

I consider Tarquini to be right up there as well, although he won only one title, with the superior 155 in 1994, he was always a top competitor in the category.

Pirro would be another one...
Old 17 Nov 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3591027)   #24
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Menu by a nose from Aiello for me. The BTCC in the 1990s was so competitive, so professional and so strong that his record there sort of speaks for itself doesn't it? Every season one of the absolute frontrunners, beating most of the other drivers on the list. Aiello's record is very comparable, probably better on paper - but in my book the BTCC was where it was at in those years and by the time Aiello got there, he had a dominant car and that era was drawing to a close.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 05:40 (Ref:3591193)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
The Germans series was as strong if not stronger in the latter years of the category in terms of manufacturer effort.

Aiello winning both was a great achievement.

Menu would be leagues ahead of any other driver if he had managed to tackle more than one of the series I think.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3591330)   #26
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In my opinion, the period chosen really gives a great dis-service to Roberto Ravaglia, who was for me the greatest touring car driver of his era.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3598611)   #27
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, golden era starts in 1987 until 1992, especially for germans.

So i would like to include Klaus Ludwig too.

But the best touring car driver in this era for me was Cecotto. Of course Aiello was very good, but of course was driving in the best cars at that time (Peugeot 406 was the car to beat, also later Audi TT had some advantages). Cecotto drove sometimes like a god, was a genius in tactics and also a racer like Senna.

Giovanardi must be really good, seeing his championships. But as i was watching mostly german series at that time, he was not seeable...

Menu was driving in original DTM, but was not that good (maybe because of car/team, he was already BMW factory junior.

Pirro had the best car when winning, before was not driving like a real champion.

Soper is still one of my favourite drivers, because he made no compromises when driving. He could win everything, or maybe destroy his car 3 times a weekend.

Winkelhock is really a good mate, this is maybe more important than his driving.

Biela was never a real hero, he lacks a bit of personality.

Ravaglia was biggest genius in driving, but also very shy in a way. So i could not have real fan-relation to him.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3598622)   #28
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about Italy, Ravaglia and Giovanardi were the very best drivers. Maybe Ravaglia has not to be considered successful in the D2-era, because he won the most driving Group A cars, but he was one of the best drivers in Touring Cars history. Pirro was also great, but Audi A4 was an incredible car. I also loved (and love nowadays) Morbidelli, but he was so unlucky!

A´ello, Winkelhock and Biela were also great drivers. I want to remember also Matt Neal, who never ran manufacturer cars (in the D2-era) but equally took excellent results.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3598637)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Talking about Italy, Ravaglia and Giovanardi were the very best drivers. Maybe Ravaglia has not to be considered successful in the D2-era, because he won the most driving Group A cars, but he was one of the best drivers in Touring Cars history. Pirro was also great, but Audi A4 was an incredible car. I also loved (and love nowadays) Morbidelli, but he was so unlucky!

A´ello, Winkelhock and Biela were also great drivers. I want to remember also Matt Neal, who never ran manufacturer cars (in the D2-era) but equally took excellent results.
Pirro was a great touring car driver. He was as quick as anyone in the 635 and M3 before his supertouring days.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3598648)   #30
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Pirro was a great touring car driver. He was as quick as anyone in the 635 and M3 before his supertouring days.
Same speech I did for Ravaglia. Considering only D2, Pirro drove only Audi and Ravaglia won only one title, but they won races and titles in other categories anymore.