Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 May 2020, 07:27 (Ref:3975176)   #326
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well footballers in the EPL have returned to training and now they are looking to do games at neutral grounds. As well as having 5 substitutes used per game instead of 3
Old 9 May 2020, 07:57 (Ref:3975182)   #327
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well footballers in the EPL have returned to training and now they are looking to do games at neutral grounds. As well as having 5 substitutes used per game instead of 3
Interesting. How does more substitutes (A FIFA ruling) and neutral grounds translate to measures that could be implemented in motorsport?
I'm struggling to see the link.....
Old 9 May 2020, 09:26 (Ref:3975197)   #328
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
… and neutral grounds translate to measures that could be implemented in motorsport? I'm struggling to see the link.....
As you, I'm looking forward to reading something supposed to be released next week at least in France.
Old 9 May 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3975198)   #329
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
As you, I'm looking forward to reading something supposed to be released next week at least in France.
A lot of the regulations for football are being amended, but each is still dependent on what the local government permits.
The change in substitute rule is a temporary amendment to the rules of competitive football.
Does motorsport need any amendments to the rules that are in place for all competition? (If such a thing even exists).

For me, the resumption of motorsport will be determined by the scale of event, compared to local government regulations (local to that country, not 'local government'). Certain series-specific regulations might be amended.
Old 9 May 2020, 12:33 (Ref:3975222)   #330
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
As to racing at the moment we should be allowed to have meetings from 1st August under conditions one being they must not bring more than 5000 people. No change in regulations allowed before end of 2021 if my reading is correct.
Old 9 May 2020, 12:38 (Ref:3975225)   #331
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
As to racing at the moment we should be allowed to have meetings from 1st August under conditions one being they must not bring more than 5000 people. No change in regulations allowed before end of 2021 if my reading is correct.
My local circuit of Croix is opening up on 18 May for take-away food & drink (!), also testing & track days. The first actual event is a Drift meeting in August.

The Historic event in July has now been postponed until 2021, date TBA.
Old 9 May 2020, 17:03 (Ref:3975263)   #332
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Only one question atm will PA be allowed to run Le Castellet. Official date is 26 July and our gov' states nothing before 1 August. The gap is only few days…
Old 10 May 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3975391)   #333
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Without wishing to pre-empt the PM's address to the nation (caveat!) but going on what the press has got so far, I can't see any hope of events like Revival, FoS or Silverstone Classic going ahead this year in their current form, with large crowds - which presumably means not at all.

The new guidance apparently is going to be - stay at home as much as possible - work from home if possible - limit contact with other people. Bearing in mind we are nearing the middle of May, are we going to see this dramatically change for events that accommodate 30,000 or 40,000 people converging from all over the UK to attend - in a little over 10 weeks?
Old 10 May 2020, 14:23 (Ref:3975393)   #334
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Without wishing to pre-empt the PM's address to the nation (caveat!) but going on what the press has got so far, I can't see any hope of events like Revival, FoS or Silverstone Classic going ahead this year in their current form, with large crowds - which presumably means not at all.

The new guidance apparently is going to be - stay at home as much as possible - work from home if possible - limit contact with other people. Bearing in mind we are nearing the middle of May, are we going to see this dramatically change for events that accommodate 30,000 or 40,000 people converging from all over the UK to attend - in a little over 10 weeks?

Sadly I agree with you. I can’t see events like the Revival or the Fos going ahead. Great events they are, I think the major national and international championships will be a the big priority. They’ll be seen as more important in the grander scheme of things

Also events like the FoS were made for the public and it’s hardly worth it if you can’t have many spectators there. Also it would be a job to get drivers and teams from any series there. They wouldn’t want to risk their health just for a public appearance. They would be much more focussed on getting their championship done
Old 10 May 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3975399)   #335
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a financial incentive for events that have sold entries and tickets to make something happen - otherwise they may have to make a refund or carry a credit over to next season. Goodwood has an oven-ready(!) event in the form of the postponed Members' Meeting. Let's hope they can be clever and creative with the technology and do something at Revival, even if it's not what it was in previous years
Old 10 May 2020, 15:33 (Ref:3975404)   #336
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1259440331763978240?s=09
Old 10 May 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3975426)   #337
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
There is a financial incentive for events that have sold entries and tickets to make something happen - otherwise they may have to make a refund or carry a credit over to next season. Goodwood has an oven-ready(!) event in the form of the postponed Members' Meeting. Let's hope they can be clever and creative with the technology and do something at Revival, even if it's not what it was in previous years
A stripped back Revival - no dressing up, bring your own sarnies, one driver / one mechanic per car would suit me ... I'll be socially distancing out at St Mary's ! Tongue perhaps slightly in cheek ...
Old 11 May 2020, 09:05 (Ref:3975476)   #338
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Problem is that the events are so vast and looking at the S Classic, that will probably have 5,000 people on site from the entrants and preparers, there is no way you could enforce 2m social distancing in the garages and awnings. It is also event reliant on ticket income, you can't run a behind closed doors event that has this festival type model - all IMO.
Old 11 May 2020, 09:38 (Ref:3975483)   #339
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is also event reliant on ticket income, you can't run a behind closed doors event that has this festival type model - all IMO.
I'm bemused the SC has yet to be cancelled unless there is some game going on with the event insurance.

I cannot see the ticket sales at levels to be viable and I can't see entrants venturing out in the numbers to make that side work
Old 11 May 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3975517)   #340
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point is that in some cases the income has already been received - so the question is what, if anything, can the event organiser sensibly, safely and fairly offer to avoid giving it all back
Old 11 May 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3975522)   #341
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
At the very least, everything will be postponed until next year. 2020 is a total washout.
Old 11 May 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3975528)   #342
Moneyseeker
Veteran

From what I have seen from the govt doc so far, looks like sport behind closed doors only and for broadcast, so that is no SC, Goodwood Revival or FoS in it's current form. But BGP likely to go ahead as a closed event.
Old 11 May 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3975529)   #343
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From what I have seen from the govt doc so far, looks like sport behind closed doors only and for broadcast, so that is no SC, Goodwood Revival or FoS in it's current form. But BGP likely to go ahead as a closed event.
And no club racing?
Old 11 May 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3975559)   #344
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
And no club racing?
I think they by sport behind closed doors, the government is meaning primarily football (largely to satisfy the premier league I imagine) and BGP. Whether that will trickle down to club events who knows?
Old 11 May 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3975561)   #345
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
I'm bemused the SC has yet to be cancelled unless there is some game going on with the event insurance.
I assume it will be much the same as travel insurance. If the airline cancels the flight or there is Foreign Office advice not to travel, then you are covered; if you just cancel you holiday yourself then you get nothing back.

SC will be waiting on Motorsport UK to cancel the permit, who will be waiting on government advice to do so.
Old 11 May 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3975563)   #346
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think they by sport behind closed doors, the government is meaning primarily football (largely to satisfy the premier league I imagine) and BGP. Whether that will trickle down to club events who knows?
The document can be read here -
The sentence in point says - 'Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact.'
They clearly have large public-interest events in mind, but they dont' give a scale of event and it reads as though club events would also be permitted, even if no-one is watching the broadcast.
Old 11 May 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3975565)   #347
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was the “broadcast” bit of the definition I was referring to.
Old 11 May 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3975570)   #348
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
The document can be read here -
The sentence in point says - 'Permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed-doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact.'
They clearly have large public-interest events in mind, but they dont' give a scale of event and it reads as though club events would also be permitted, even if no-one is watching the broadcast.
Thanks for the link.
Old 11 May 2020, 16:42 (Ref:3975572)   #349
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

The trouble is that if this is taken as a literal requirement then club racing is blown out of the water as it costs thousands to film a club meeting.
CSCC filmed and streamed Donington last year and my memory (which may be faulty) is that it cost c£17k for the weekend.
Old 11 May 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3975573)   #350
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The trouble is that if this is taken as a literal requirement then club racing is blown out of the water as it costs thousands to film a club meeting.
CSCC filmed and streamed Donington last year and my memory (which may be faulty) is that it cost c£17k for the weekend.
The broadcast is to prevent crowds, it's not a condition of holding the event.

I could literally broadcast a club meeting on Facebook live.