Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2020, 12:42 (Ref:3966263)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That is the worry atm, motorsport might struggle to find it’s place once this is all over. It does need to find a way to keep it relevant. Maybe cutting costs down a notch or two could help
No, not motorsport, but the hideous money pit that F1 specifically. Other formula, categories, historics and club msport probably better placed for a recovery of some sort.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3966275)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I hope they are working on a contingency plan if worse comes to worse
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3966280)   #18
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Who knows, F1 next year could be GP2+??
Are you saying using GP2 chassis and then some level of upgrade to boost them above GP2 performance?

I see that only if a number of teams are on the verge of financial collapse and can't maintain their workforce. I think a more likely solution is an extended development freeze and even then that would make large chunks of staff redundant.

F1 can survive, but it might be much smaller from a budget and glamour perspective.

What about large dedicated circuits? Can they financially survive?

Richard
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:22 (Ref:3966283)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I hope they are working on a contingency plan if worse comes to worse
Would the world stop without F1?

Appreciate the consequences for those employed in the industry, obv.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:24 (Ref:3966287)   #20
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Are you saying using GP2 chassis and then some level of upgrade to boost them above GP2 performance?

I see that only if a number of teams are on the verge of financial collapse and can't maintain their workforce. I think a more likely solution is an extended development freeze and even then that would make large chunks of staff redundant.

F1 can survive, but it might be much smaller from a budget and glamour perspective.

What about large dedicated circuits? Can they financially survive?

Richard
There could be a perfect storm in the collapse of the sponsorship market, or current sponsors unable to fulfil their commitments added to zero prize fund if F1 lost most of the 2020 races. Where for example would Williams find their budget if their main sponsor left and they had no FOM money. Will Haas carry on against a likely fall in demand for machines as manufacturing is cut back? Let alone of Mercedes and Renault did leave as works teams.

I agree running the current cars is an option but they ares till massively expensive to run, whereas you could run GP2+ cars with an aero and power upgrade on a smaller (largely European calendar) for say 5m euro compared to a minimum of 50m euro to build and run an F1 car and team.

Probably none of the above will be required and a realigned F1 will emerge.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3966289)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Would the world stop without F1?

Appreciate the consequences for those employed in the industry, obv.

Yeah, that’s something that shouldn’t be overlooked. Those employees could be facing an uncertain future at some point. And we shouldn’t forget that like the drivers and team bosses, they do a lot for F1 too
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3966292)   #22
Taxi645
Racer

Netherlands
Taxi645 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Winter schedule starting in September.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3966297)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Winter schedule starting in September.

That might be the best solution, just as long as we’re back to the normal schedule by 2022
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3966305)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
sport is going to come back bigger then ever imo.

looking at this from a slightly different perspective...one thing being highlighted by the quarantine is our massive need for content and sports certainly provides a ton of content.

i think there will be money for it and even before this pandemic FOM was was lowering the cost to participate and moving towards providing teams with more money.

plus they paid 10billion(?) for the rights...one would think they will subsidize the teams and venues during the aftermath/recovery to ensure content creation and future revenue streams.

question for me is what 'gimmick' they will use to position themselves against a whole host of other sports/content creators who will be competing for that same market share?

going to an old engine is anathema imo.

forward thinking, sustainability, environmentally conscience will be the new yard stick (if it wasnt already before the virus).

if i was to bet, we will see the old cars for a year or two, but i would predict F1 going full electric and/or merging with Formula E within a couple of years.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3966309)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Baring in mind that some teams are struggling now and there is the possibility that Mercedes, Red Bull and even Ferrari will pull the pin due to the year of lost revenue I struggle to see how the formula can sustain itself in anything like its current form.

They will necessarily need to row back (unlearn if you will) on all the technology and/or make it all much less complicated. They will need to attract smaller independent teams because the majors will be out of it.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3966311)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yeah, that’s something that shouldn’t be overlooked. Those employees could be facing an uncertain future at some point. And we shouldn’t forget that like the drivers and team bosses, they do a lot for F1 too
But what about all the non associated industries and businesses in the world that will possibly fail, they’re just as much a concern? And no comment on drivers, seeing how much they have earned up to now...
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:04 (Ref:3966313)   #27
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Mark Hughes take on it

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...e-long-lasting

Because next year is when the financial pain of the races cancelled this year will really be felt by the teams, as they are paid their share of the pot one year in arrears. But the commercial entity of F1 itself, as represented by Liberty Media, will be taking the hit immediately.

How F1 looks the other side of control of this virus will just be a microcosm of the world it exists in. There will just not be as much wealth to go around and F1 may become a smaller entity, less leveraged on big money deals and thereby more robust – not through choice, but necessity.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:04 (Ref:3966314)   #28
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a depressing opinion piece - https://www.independent.co.uk/20-ple...-a9409066.html

That's not the only one I've seen from people expressing similar views.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 21:30 (Ref:3966386)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

I think one good thing that comes of it is that we suddenly realise how much we miss it when it’s not there. For all we criticise F1, it’s clear that we still enjoy it and that we don’t want it to die. We want it to be improved in certain areas yes, but plenty of us will still watch it
Old 23 Mar 2020, 23:03 (Ref:3966405)   #30
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The re-start is going to be an issue assuming that F1 does not race this year which I take as already a done deal. All the engineers and support staff will have to be either permanently let go or laid off with the promise we will get back to you and most will not be able to tolerate that situation for very long. When that occurs and the talent goes elsewhere the teams have got a skills shortage, a lot of the people who designed, built and know the car are gone and then the real problems start. Maybe a long odds possibility but image MB lose a lot key engine design and technical staff to support the PU's at the track for their team and all those they supply, that would not be impossible looking at it today.