Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3966311)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah, that’s something that shouldn’t be overlooked. Those employees could be facing an uncertain future at some point. And we shouldn’t forget that like the drivers and team bosses, they do a lot for F1 too
But what about all the non associated industries and businesses in the world that will possibly fail, they’re just as much a concern? And no comment on drivers, seeing how much they have earned up to now...
Old 23 Mar 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3966313)   #27
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Mark Hughes take on it

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...e-long-lasting

Because next year is when the financial pain of the races cancelled this year will really be felt by the teams, as they are paid their share of the pot one year in arrears. But the commercial entity of F1 itself, as represented by Liberty Media, will be taking the hit immediately.

How F1 looks the other side of control of this virus will just be a microcosm of the world it exists in. There will just not be as much wealth to go around and F1 may become a smaller entity, less leveraged on big money deals and thereby more robust – not through choice, but necessity.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3966314)   #28
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a depressing opinion piece - https://www.independent.co.uk/20-ple...-a9409066.html

That's not the only one I've seen from people expressing similar views.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 22:30 (Ref:3966386)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think one good thing that comes of it is that we suddenly realise how much we miss it when it’s not there. For all we criticise F1, it’s clear that we still enjoy it and that we don’t want it to die. We want it to be improved in certain areas yes, but plenty of us will still watch it
Old 24 Mar 2020, 00:03 (Ref:3966405)   #30
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The re-start is going to be an issue assuming that F1 does not race this year which I take as already a done deal. All the engineers and support staff will have to be either permanently let go or laid off with the promise we will get back to you and most will not be able to tolerate that situation for very long. When that occurs and the talent goes elsewhere the teams have got a skills shortage, a lot of the people who designed, built and know the car are gone and then the real problems start. Maybe a long odds possibility but image MB lose a lot key engine design and technical staff to support the PU's at the track for their team and all those they supply, that would not be impossible looking at it today.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 07:45 (Ref:3966423)   #31
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The re-start is going to be an issue assuming that F1 does not race this year which I take as already a done deal. All the engineers and support staff will have to be either permanently let go or laid off with the promise we will get back to you and most will not be able to tolerate that situation for very long. When that occurs and the talent goes elsewhere the teams have got a skills shortage, a lot of the people who designed, built and know the car are gone and then the real problems start. Maybe a long odds possibility but image MB lose a lot key engine design and technical staff to support the PU's at the track for their team and all those they supply, that would not be impossible looking at it today.
Don't know about the teams based outside of the UK but those in the UK should be ok with the support packages in place from the Government for employed workers. It's only those that are self employed contractors who are going to really struggle.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3966426)   #32
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure you need to say everyone use GP2 cars next year. They all have 2020 cars which are going to see very little, or no use. Just use those foe 2021.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3966437)   #33
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not sure you need to say everyone use GP2 cars next year. They all have 2020 cars which are going to see very little, or no use. Just use those foe 2021.
There may not be all the teams to use them....
Old 24 Mar 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3966447)   #34
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Baring in mind that some teams are struggling now and there is the possibility that Mercedes, Red Bull and even Ferrari will pull the pin due to the year of lost revenue I struggle to see how the formula can sustain itself in anything like its current form.

They will necessarily need to row back (unlearn if you will) on all the technology and/or make it all much less complicated. They will need to attract smaller independent teams because the majors will be out of it.

You are absolutely right. It 's just a tragedy that it takes a pandemic to put into focus how absurd it is to blow half a billion quid to enable 2 drivers to race 20 times a year . All racing , ultimately, can be boiled down to its essence of driver A trying to overtake driver B . Stuff like DRS , trick PUs , pit stop strategies and tyre management are incidental distractions , and simpler cars , and races can be every bit as good .
Old 24 Mar 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3966486)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
....and probably quite a bit better......
Old 24 Mar 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3966489)   #36
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Don't know about the teams based outside of the UK but those in the UK should be ok with the support packages in place from the Government for employed workers. It's only those that are self employed contractors who are going to really struggle.
We'll find out when it re-starts, but my experience over the years says they will walk away.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3966506)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m not letting this F1 uncertainty get to me. I’m just hoping that this lockdown saves lives and helps get us through this in time
Old 24 Mar 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3966526)   #38
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Grosjean saying there is a 'possibility' Haas will be closed down at the end of 2020.

He told Canal Plus that 'it's a possibility that must be taken seriously'
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:05 (Ref:3966536)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Grosjean saying there is a 'possibility' Haas will be closed down at the end of 2020.
a lot of employers are saying things like that in order to get their weakest employees to quit instead of being terminated.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3966553)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
a lot of employers are saying things like that in order to get their weakest employees to quit instead of being terminated.

Thankfully that shouldn't happen in the UK. Here our government is going to pay 80% of each and every employee's wages/salary provided that the employer "furloughs" them. This is to carry on for at least 3 months and be renewed if necessary.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3966557)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post

He told Canal Plus that 'it's a possibility that must be taken seriously'

Wow! Only a few days ago Steiner was saying their future is secure. Shows how quickly things can change if RoGro’s words carry weight
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3966564)   #42
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Wow! Only a few days ago Steiner was saying their future is secure. Shows how quickly things can change if RoGro’s words carry weight
I guess the cnc machining market will be hit hard and Gene Haas is largely funding the team himself.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 16:56 (Ref:3966565)   #43
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In this day and age it I have no idea why F1 uses bespoke engines at all. It seems to be some sort of elitism now, back in previous decades it was necessary but not now as production road engines are so good. I think it is an engineering W**K to tell the truth.
It is possible to allow production-based power units - which are effectively banned nowadays - but impossible to obligate them. For example, Ferrari's power unit pool is entirely different than Honda's one.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 06:25 (Ref:3966658)   #44
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
It is possible to allow production-based power units - which are effectively banned nowadays - but impossible to obligate them. For example, Ferrari's power unit pool is entirely different than Honda's one.
I don't follow. In any case it will never happen as the major manufacturers would not use any motor that is not of their own manufacture and those that aren't manufacturers would still need to find an engine.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 08:19 (Ref:3966663)   #45
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

In practice that tends to work in reverse-the best get snapped up first and the less good hang around because the gossip from others who have moved on will highlight the good guys and alert their new outfit to the shortcomings of the laggards.I would expect that quite a number of people will be looking around as next year's budget cap may mean fewer people can be afforded.

In the case of Haas I wouldn't know what proportion of their people are at each location. I would suppose that those in Kannapolis could easily be switched to preparing for next year's new model Nascar switch.Whatever happens my feeling is that the people who work in top level racing will have the skills to prosper in just about any working environment and I wish them well at this challenging time.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 11:36 (Ref:3966716)   #46
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Remember when BE had the idea of FOM commissioning a standard F1 engine from say Cosworth or Zytek, which could then be a fall back engine supply if engine manufacturer's left....
Old 25 Mar 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3966761)   #47
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't follow. In any case it will never happen as the major manufacturers would not use any motor that is not of their own manufacture and those that aren't manufacturers would still need to find an engine.
Do you honestly believe a production-based engine manufactured by Renault would be competitive against one of Ferrari's making?
Old 25 Mar 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3966770)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am baffled by the talk of "production based" engines in F1. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with bespoke racing engines. What makes engines expensive is the rules and level of freedom given to whoever makes the engine. Not that it is "bespoke". Someone tossed the idea of Judd engines. Those are bespoke and I assume relatively affordable all things considered.

Note, I am using a definition of bespoke to mean that these are purpose built "race" engines that are built to a published formula. Not engines built for a single team. Given that multiple teams use the same engines today in F1, there are no single customer solutions in F1 anyhow.

What should be considered (if large manufactures are looking to leave or slim down their involvement) is to create more simple engines. If F1 can't revert to simple ICE solutions (due to lack of support), then it may be that something like FE becomes the new F1. Mostly spec parts (lower cost) and looking to the future (all electric).

Richard
Old 26 Mar 2020, 04:35 (Ref:3966870)   #49
Casper
Veteran

The regs plus the teams wanting to put outlandish off the planet engineering into the regs. I was in a small way involved in race car engineering and I can assure you that give an engineer a sum of money no matter what the size and he will do his best to spend it all. I had stand up arguments with one and we parted ways over the issue because he could not see why he should have been constrained in spending and some of his ideas were just off the planet.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 06:33 (Ref:3966880)   #50
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
What should be considered (if large manufactures are looking to leave or slim down their involvement) is to create more simple engines. If F1 can't revert to simple ICE solutions (due to lack of support), then it may be that something like FE becomes the new F1. Mostly spec parts (lower cost) and looking to the future (all electric).

Richard
I don't know Richard, from what I have seen of Formula E, it has a huge way to go before it is even close to filling F1's shoes. The cars are anemic and pathetic and the crowds which are not paying to watch are small, and the racing about as pleasurable to watch as someone using an electric drill.

Changing FE to F1 will kill the audience and will be the death knell of the formula. f2 would, I think be by far the better option from the point of drawing an audience.