Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Apr 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2438486)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 14 - Future Classics

27 starters; 20 Finishers

In fact, so many cars had entered the Swinging Sixties race that there were a number of reserves which didn't get into that race and they were given a class of their own within this race. They made up 6 of the 27 starters here. This was to the same format as that of the Swinging Sixties, ie 40 minutes with a compulsory pitsop.

Sam Clarke had put his 6 litre V12 Jaguar XJ12 on pole by 1.3 seconds from the 3.9 litre Triumph TR7 V8 of Martyn Adams but the Jaguar man had a poor start and dropped to 3rd or 4th on the first lap with Adams getting away in the lead. Clarke soon picked his way forward though and after 3 laps or so took the lead and started to stretch away. Given what happened towards the end of the race this was all rather perplexing to me. It seemed to be a race of two halves, since whilst Clarke was clearly quicker in the first half of the race, Adams was similarly so in the second half, posting fastest race lap and cutting a very substantial Clarke lead to just 3.67 seconds at the flag. Whether Clarke was in trouble towards the end of the race (with tyres?), at the same time as Adams was getting to grips with the TR7 V8, I don't know, and nor do I know whether the Triumph took longer at its pit stop. We were however, subjected to a fine, but not totally error free, chase for the lead by Adams, as well as Clarke running wide onto the grass out of Coram in his attempts to maintain a gap. I guess a perusal of the lap times might answer these questions!

There were a few battles down the field, not least of which was the unlikely one between the XJ40 of Gail Hill and Chris Boon and the Triumph GT6 of Neil Armstrong. They finished 3 tenths apart with the Jag just getting it. However the GT6 was the first Swinging Sixties car home in an excellent 12th place.

My pic selection is over two posts (we can only post 6 pics per post) and includes at least 3 with Jaguars in, since this actually was 'The Classic & Jaguar Meeting'. They had had their big day the day before, of course. The first pic shows the above-mentioned GT6/XJ40 encounter; then we have a long shot down the Revett Straight on lap 3 (I think!) with Clarke closing on Adams. The third pic shows Chris Adams MG Midget which unfortunately only completed 19 laps and was unclassified, the 18th placed Doyle/Doyle tyre squealing Jaguar XJ6 (91) exiting the Esses in typical style having just been lapped by the 3rd placed Porsche 911 turbo of James and Miles Masarati (any relation to Piers?), the quick and great sounding Mazda RX7 of Giles Groombridge and David Ashford which also didn't finish, and finally, the rare Porsche 914/6 of Jeff Boyes and ? Evans, which finished 19th:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2486wl4.jpg   IMG_2495wl4.jpg   IMG_2562wl4.jpg  

IMG_2614wl4.jpg   IMG_2622wl4.jpg   IMG_2636wl4.jpg  

Old 11 Apr 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2438491)   #77
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 14 - Future Classics (continued)

The Davrian Mk8 of Jon Jeffery and John Broadley, 17th, then Stephen Chase's Austin A40, 20th and the 2nd place TR7 V8 on its charge. The fourth pic is of the 8th placed Rover Tomcat of Roy Johnson, pursued through the Russell Chicane by 10th placed Porsche 911 Carrera of Simon Hutson-Flynn and Russell Sadur. Stuart Jefcoate's 5th placed 911, and last but not least, the Roger Bowman XJS which finished 6th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2708wl4.jpg   IMG_2759wl4.jpg   IMG_2769wl4.jpg  

IMG_2770wl4.jpg   IMG_2807wl4.jpg   IMG_2812wl4.jpg  

Old 11 Apr 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2438507)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Warwick 350GT

With more hope than expectation, I submitted a piece on the Warwick's return to the track, to Kevin. Whilst, space constraints (the bane of any editor's life) prevented the piece being published in Autosport, at least we did get the story in, Celia, on page 89 in the 'In Brief' section accompanied by a small pic taken by Richard Styles. Since it was barely used, I don't think there is any harm in printing my submission here:-

History Repeating itself
The Buick engined Warwick GT350 first raced at Snetterton in 1961. Last Sunday, after much burning of the midnight oil (the car only completed by 2.00am that morning!), Ian McDonald and Celia Stevens replicated that event when they took their very rare survivor of this marque back on track at Snetterton's CSCC meeting. Just like its predecessor 48 years ago, it was painted yellow, carried the race no 24 and was allocated to pit garage 15! Despite the GT350 being grossly under geared and the race effectively becoming a long test session, Ian and Celia completed the 40 minute Swinging Sixties race and expressed themselves well satisfied with the car's first race outing for decades. The rear axle ratio will now be changed and further outings are planned.

Below, I have added a pic taken on its very first lap of qualifying, and another showing no less than 4 silencers and pipes!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1041wl4.jpg   IMG_1627wl4.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Apr 2009 at 11:27.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2439140)   #79
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, great pictures of the Warwick, especially the rear shot through the Bombhole.

It was good also to have a quick chat with Celia prior to the lunchtime driver's briefing when she showed us the old copy of Autosport with the car outside the old Snet pits, with the same number 24.

I also wonder if Celia and Ian managed to get a photo in the same position in front of the current pits? It was a nice touch using the same number garage as the car had for it's pit number in the original picture!

Terry
Old 12 Apr 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2439143)   #80
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Terry, Ian showed me that copy of A/S too. It was 1961, the 14 July issue, I think.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2439145)   #81
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers John, to see the enthusiasm and dedication of Celia and Ian with all their efforts prior to and over the weekend is really what makes Classic and Historic club racing so special.

Terry
Old 12 Apr 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2439151)   #82
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 15 - Silverstone Tyres MR2

22 Starters; 20 Finishers.

The second MR2 race of the day, and I have to admit that they provide good, if sometimes over committed, racing. This time it was Adam Lockwood (51)who got to the head of the leading pack and whilst his pursuers were squabbling, he was able to make a break and establish a lead that enabled him to see the chequered flag 5.8 seconds clear. The fight for 2nd was close (see below), with Liam O'Toole (2) just ahead of Alex Gassman (48) and a fighting 4th from Jason Jesse (37). There was plenty of close racing down the field with several spins in the Russell chicane settling issues.

Below, one of the early battles, Sarah Wherry (4) briefly got the better of Shane Wright (42) but she then spun in the chicane, and repeated it to an even greater effect later, to drop down the field to finish 12th, whereas Wright finished 6th. The popular and iconic Gulf livery appears on quite a few club cars - this is Simon Lockey who took 8th. The battle for 2nd, led at this point by earlier winner, Gareth Newton (24) but he too, spun, and dropped to 5th. Behind here, Liam O'Toole and Alex Gassman. Aaron Pullan (26) starts to spin and he dropped back to finish 17th. The winner, Lockwood (51), pressing on, and Newton (24) recovering from his spin:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2871wl4.jpg   IMG_2890wl4.jpg   IMG_2955wl4.jpg  

IMG_2966wl4.jpg   IMG_3009wl4.jpg   IMG_3034wl4.jpg  

Old 12 Apr 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2439160)   #83
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - Monoposto Championship (smaller classes)

26 starters; 23 finishers.

It was much better grid for the smaller classes (split is 1000/1400/1600/1800), than for the 2-litre cars. Maybe the 1800s should join the 2-litre grid, to balance things out. Anyway, not much 'historic' interest although you may care to note that the first 3 cars were all from the smallest class the Mono 1000, being powered by modern motor cycle engines. They sounded good, too. For the record the winner was Chris Woodhouse (Spead RM04), from Chris Vinall (JKS JR07) and Dax Ward (Jedi Mk6).

Below is Jonathan Baggott in his Van Diemen RF87 (83) who finished 21st, Michael Dale in Van Diemen RF82 (52) who finished 11th (a 2-litre car in the 1800cc class - age related?), and David Parkinson in Reynard FF83 (66) who, for a while, was embroiled in a midfield battle with later cars but retired after completing 5 laps:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3059wl4.jpg   IMG_3152wl4.jpg   IMG_3193wl4.jpg  

Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2439207)   #84
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warwick GT 350

Thank-you John, Terry and everyone for all those nice things you've said about us and the Warwick. We did see the bit in Autosport, brief but correct with a nice picture. Leigh, a Peerless friend got a super picture of the car with Ian outside pit number 15. I am just trying to contact him to get permission to put it on this forum. May I copy and paste some of your comments to the TR Forum John? It would be good to show them that the "outside world" appreciates the car!
Of course the other reason we finished so far down was losing 6 laps whilst the dash was screwed back in! However lots of potential and when I can match Ian in speed who knows!
I think the spirit that is shown in Classic and Historic racing such as we experienced at the weekend is a really positive indication of that particular form of motor racing. We just cannot get over the general atmosphere and genuine entante cordiale from all involved. Once again thank-you, the enthusiasm with which we are supported wherever we go never ceases to amaze me, roll on next time!
Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2439225)   #85
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Stevens View Post
May I copy and paste some of your comments to the TR Forum John? It would be good to show them that the "outside world" appreciates the car!
Of course you can; my pleasure!
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2439369)   #86
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
26 starters; 23 finishers.

Maybe the 1800s should join the 2-litre grid, to balance things out. ....
Below is ... Michael Dale in Van Diemen RF82 (52) who finished 11th (a 2-litre car in the 1800cc class - age related?
John, a few years ago the 1800s did race with the 2 litre cars but it was felt, then, that the 1800s did not actually get to "race" and would be better off on the same grid as the 1600 cars as they were more closely matched in performance & would increase the racing pleasure for both classes. The RF82, and similar Pinto engined FF 2000 cars run in Mono 1800 because their power to weight ratio is very similar to the more modern F Ford Zetecs and F Vauxhall Juniors. They would be outclassed on the Mono 2000 grid. Modern Zetec engined F Ford 2000s run in Mono 2000, although there were non out at Snetterton.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2439622)   #87
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Andy; good explanation. Your last sentence also explains the smaller grid for the bigger cars at Snet.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Apr 2009 at 07:56.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2439640)   #88
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 17 - Sports Cars v Saloons with SR&GTs

24 starters; 23 finishers.

A 20 minute race, with a real mix of old and new, it provided th best race of the day for the lead, which lasted from lights to flag. The frontrunners were not made up of the historic content, but I will include a few pics of the lead battle because it was so good.

The lead was initially between Cheng Lim in his Ram Cobra TRSC 6.6 litre, Kevin Williams and Carl Woodwiss in Caterham C400s with Gwyn Pollard trying to hold on to their coat tails in his Crossle 9S. Pollard however was to drop back as the lead battle intensified and was to finish 6th having been caught and passed by Sam Arrenberg (Caterham R400) and Robert Spencer (Stuart Taylor Locosaki 1200!). Lim, Williams and Woodwiss circulated very closely for the first few laps with Woodwiss snatching the lead from Lim on lap 4 in the Russell Chicane. This put Lim off line for the exit and he was also briefly jumped by Williams, but soon recovered 2nd place, only to be passed by Williams into the chicane the next time around. Unfortunately, in doing so Williams arrived too hot and off line himself, so spun coming out onto the Senna Straight. It delayed Lim slightly, allowing Woodwiss to gain a few lengths lead, as he worked around the gyrating Williams and set off in pursuit. So then there were two, Williams having to the settle for a distant 3rd, and almost caught by Arrenberg at the end. Lim recovered the lead, but whilst stretching away on the straights he was always caught, and sometimes passed, by Williams in the tighter sections of the circuit. Lim won by an unrepresentative margin of 1 second, due only to the fact that the finish line is a good way up the Senna straight.

Some good battles waged down the field too, and I'll refer to one or two with the picture captions below.

First is the lead battle with Williams (69) challenging Lim through the chicane, Woodwiss (11), in attendance, and Pollard (4), in the background. On the same lap (apologies for blurrred pic), Andy Todd (71) locks up in his Crossle 9S. He was to be the only non finisher, retiring after 12 laps. Next up is Tom Bailey's Chevrolet Corvette. As Louise Kennedy says he did well in his first race, but I hope that he, his son, Laurence (who drove the car in the Swinging Sixties race) and Louise can forgive me when I say that he struggled to carry any speed through the chicane in this powerful car and we were presented with the sight of several 'slower on the straight' pursuers practically coming to a halt before he was able to blast away up the straight. This went on for many laps - entertaining for the spectators, but possibly frustrating for those pursuers. He will get quicker, of course. He finished 18th, with Phillip Goldberg (2 - Porsche 924) 20th, Rick Jones (5 - Westfield) 22nd, and Andrew Forsyth (21 - Peugeot 205), 19th. The fourth pic shows Woodwiss going around the outside of Lim to take the lead through the chicane. Next we have another Crossle 9S, that of Gary Wilson, who finished 7th; then the Corvette of Joe Ward who clearly had problems since he dropped back to finish last, and the Lotus Eleven replica of Adam Wilkinson who finished 11th.

A few more pics in the next post:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3212wl4.jpg   IMG_3214wl4.jpg   IMG_3226wl4.jpg  

IMG_3261wl4.jpg   IMG_3238wl4.jpg   IMG_3246wl4.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Apr 2009 at 10:18.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2439649)   #89
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 17 - Sports Cars v Saloons with SR&GTs (continued)

There was a good Jaguar powered dice with the E-type of Richard Abels finally getting the better (in traffic?) of the Kougar Jaguar of Graham Paddick to take 13th place by over 10 seconds. The 16th placed Porsche 944 of Neil Chilleystone. Two more E-types; the Mark Pollard (6) who was 17th, and Harry Wyndham (73), first of the older cars home, in 10th. Finally two more pics of the great lead battle. The first, 2 or 3 laps from the end, shows the moment when Woodwiss had to back off to avoid heavier impact; it may not have been the race deciding moment but it certainly cost him a few lengths. Through the Russell Chicane for the last time and entirely indicative of how close this race had been throughout. A very fine finale to the days racing:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3294wl4.jpg   IMG_3321wl4.jpg   IMG_3359wl4.jpg  

IMG_3378wl4.jpg   IMG_3452wl4.jpg   IMG_3487wl4.jpg  

Old 13 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2439708)   #90
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pictures John, are you going to any of the other CSCC meetings?
Attached is a photo taken by Lee outside pit 15 as Ian was backing in after the race. It's the nearest we could get to the original 1961 photo outside 15. Changed a bit since then!
Attached Thumbnails
05-04-09_Snetterton_005[1].jpg  
Old 13 Apr 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2439709)   #91
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Celia, I'll probably get to Cadwell in September, and maybe back to Snetterton in October.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2439869)   #92
Hybrids
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stockport, Cheshire
Hybrids should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Newton (24) recovering from his spin:-
Great pictures and coverage.
The win in the first MR2 race was my first ever overall win and I still wear a grin like a Cheshire cat, the second race I managed to have 2 spins, my first at Riches that dropped me from 2nd to 5th and then the spin at Russell as pictured on the last lap fortunatly the only car closing in was a lapped car so maintained 5th accross the line.

regards
Gareth

Last edited by Hybrids; 13 Apr 2009 at 17:01. Reason: lousy spelling
Old 13 Apr 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2439927)   #93
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Gareth, good to see you on here, and many congratulations on your first overall win.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2439976)   #94
LooseNut
Rookie

LooseNut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks John for the great photos. That was me in the 205 running out of talent well before I could get past the Stingray at the chicane!
Old 13 Apr 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2440094)   #95
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,

Great pictures and a fine race meeting. Great to see a picture of my "old" GT6 in the hands of its new owner (Neil Armstrong) who did a superb job in his first race with it - shame you never posted a picture of it when I owned and raced it!! Not sure if he's a 10/10thser yet. As for the Adams TR7/Jag battle I think Martyn took a few laps to shake off the winter blues and get up to speed and the Jag definately suffered tyre fade as it went off a couple of times toward the end of the race. Resulted in a hugely exciting race, especially as we were stood on the pit wall next to the Jag crew! Obviously very gentlemanly rivalry!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2440195)   #96
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseNut View Post
Thanks John for the great photos. That was me in the 205 running out of talent well before I could get past the Stingray at the chicane!
Welcome, Andrew - see pic below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
John,

Great pictures and a fine race meeting. Great to see a picture of my "old" GT6 in the hands of its new owner (Neil Armstrong) who did a superb job in his first race with it - shame you never posted a picture of it when I owned and raced it!!
Dave, it wasn't deliberate; I always try to include any Ten-Tenther, who I know is racing at the meetings I attend. Name me a couple of meetings that I have covered which you have competed in, over the last couple of years, and I'll see what I can find.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3346wb.jpg  
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2440213)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dave,

Why not sign up for Turnstyle Prints and run through the archive?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2440221)   #98
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
What a kind man you are, Peter.

You can check here, what meetings are so far covered, in the archive:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111243
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2440759)   #99
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Dave,

Why not sign up for Turnstyle Prints and run through the archive?
Are you on commission?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2440987)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cheap at half the price, but a steal at a tenner.