Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Mar 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2409684)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is the HSCC Guards Trophy the budget compromise?

The calender for this year looks pretty good with a smattering of 40 minute races and of course the 3 hour Snett race.
Interestingly the 2 hour HRSR slot at Silverstone Int meeting is up for grabs as the tin tops dont want it... why dont we in Guards Trophy ask HSCC to swap our 40 minute race for it so HRSR get what they want and we get what we love??!!
Comment elsewhere on the Chevrons needs to be put into context - they are an invitation class so if enough sportscars enter they do not get to race... the championship was won by Robert Barrie last year in his 911 and by an MGB the year before...
Old 5 Mar 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2409808)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the tin tops do want it . . .well I do, but I think it was felt the risk was greater than offering it to a few others . . . wise given the climate.

a shame the tin tops turns into a sprint as opposed to a 40 minute or 1 hour though, a 1 hour tin top and 1+ guards would be great, and it would keep it all under the HSCC umbrella
Old 5 Mar 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2409929)   #3
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Guards Trophy ask HSCC to swap our 40 minute race for it so HRSR get what they want and we get what we love??!!
I agree entirely. Consider yourself nominated
Old 6 Mar 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2410120)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well I have dropped them an email so hopefully if enough people make their voice heard they will do it - maybe we can get a poll going on this thread? I dont know how to do it so will need some help and retitle the thread so it gets the exposure... this must be the peoples court Ms Harman was referreing to...!!!
Old 6 Mar 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2410125)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well we all know how (self) important ten tenthers are
Old 6 Mar 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2410160)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

Actually it seems I have jumped the gun (as usual) and there is not a 2 Hour HSCC race at Silverstone - shame....
Old 6 Mar 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2410235)   #7
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon

Just on your opening question rather than the Classic, I am switching to Guards from Historic Roadsports this year mainly because I think it is great value for the longer races. It's a bit of a mystery to me why more pre-66 FIA spec GT cars don't do it given the strong grids for those cars in races organised by Masters etc.

Just need to paint the car now and screw the new hardtop down (it's a Morgan).

Cheers

M
Old 6 Mar 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2410255)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

I totally agree - I have suggested that maybe HSCC should just put 1 hour races on for Guards. I do think a lot are put off by the B8's which is ironic as they are there to make up the numbers, if enough GT's came in they get bumped off!
Old 6 Mar 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2410371)   #9
fasted
Racer

England
Witness the excellent grid at the 2008 Gold Cup where the GT cars were segregated from the sports racers
Old 6 Mar 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2410380)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

true but Fast Ed whilst clearly talking my book it is completely appropriate for little twin cam sports racers to be mixing it with the GT's based on what was happening in period...
Old 6 Mar 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2410438)   #11
fasted
Racer

England
Quote:
true but Fast Ed whilst clearly talking my book it is completely appropriate for little twin cam sports racers to be mixing it with the GT's based on what was happening in period...
Could I edit that to "Little twin cam sports racers producing 125BHP mixing it". In period maybe. but lately they simply bugger off into the distance and the next thing you see is three or four helmets zooming past. Unless of course they are Chevrons in which case they have already zoomed past.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2410439)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

given how slowly I drive mine it could well be.....!!!
Old 6 Mar 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2410519)   #13
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed, but that means earlier twin-cam powered cars not B8s!

Also talking my own book.

My Elva is coming back together after my Goodwood BBQ. A new livery as well for 2009.

I plan to do a few Guards races including (especially) the 3 Hour which I think is one of the great races of the year, albeit at not the most exotic circuit.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2410538)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

Yes it is a shame the 3 hour wasn't at the Silverstone int weekend but 3 hours is 3 hours and I hope that even in this tough climate its well supported as it would be gutting if that was dropped in 2010
Old 6 Mar 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2410568)   #15
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually I think Snetterton is better than Silverstone International.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2410611)   #16
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 years ago, I would have laughed at this. However, I agree with you!

The improvements to Snetterton's infrastructure and ambience under jonathan Palmer have been dramatic, the track has been resurfaced, and now re-profiled. Plus, I hate the hairpin on the Silverstone International.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Actually I think Snetterton is better than Silverstone International.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2411901)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I can drive round the perimiter of Shoreham airport for free everyday, its just as uninspiring as Silverstone but with a better view.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2411904)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

well at the risk of being contrarian I like Silverstone and especially the International Circuit as it is a technically challenging circuit not just relying on straight line speed... but it takes all sorts!!
Old 9 Mar 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2411923)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Its probably my favourite of the three, as it where but its a bit of an afterthought layout

I just don't like the place in general
Old 9 Mar 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2411929)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I like Silverstone and especially the International Circuit as it is a technically challenging circuit not just relying on straight line speed...
Agreed.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2412240)   #21
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddington Ted View Post
Simon

Just on your opening question rather than the Classic, I am switching to Guards from Historic Roadsports this year mainly because I think it is great value for the longer races. It's a bit of a mystery to me why more pre-66 FIA spec GT cars don't do it given the strong grids for those cars in races organised by Masters etc.

Just need to paint the car now and screw the new hardtop down (it's a Morgan).

Cheers

M

Mark - Guards actually takes Pre-1969 cars, and having just obtained FIA HTP for the TR5 I too am contemplating enter a Guards Race or 2 for some longer runs. So you can't get away that easily!!!

James
Old 9 Mar 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2412254)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Mark - Guards actually takes Pre-1969 cars, and having just obtained FIA HTP for the TR5 I too am contemplating enter a Guards Race or 2 for some longer runs. So you can't get away that easily!!!

James
that is only partially correct. There is an invitation class for sports racers upto 1969 - this is why the Chevron B8's are there... normal sports cars are pre 66 with FIA papers
Old 9 Mar 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2412337)   #23
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guards trophy

I think the invitation class as it stands will also accept pre-69 GT and GTS cars, but with a capacity limit of 2 litres. Best to check with the office. Robert
Old 11 Mar 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2413504)   #24
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
that is only partially correct. There is an invitation class for sports racers upto 1969 - this is why the Chevron B8's are there... normal sports cars are pre 66 with FIA papers
And therein lies the problem. It is just miserable being swamped by Chevron B8s when you are driving a 1960 Lotus Elite on very skinny wheels. It's not that I don't see the Chevrons but can anybody English explain why they always seem to give me a variation of Churchill's victory sign as they pass?
Old 11 Mar 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2413516)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think the Chevrons etc are great but they're too quick/far advanced to be mixing it with 50's small capacity GT's, maybe open it up to pre66 obnly this year (and let a few different cars in . . . .like mine !!!)