Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2987803)   #1
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Period correctness vs You Tube

When sorting my action shots of this year, I came across this Lotus 19, at the recent Goodwood Revival. Now being well aware of the popularity of you tube, I think in this case the vanity of the driver has gone too far by installing not one, not two, but three recording devices on various places of the car.
Now, irrespective of the fact that these devices should not be visible in something serious like the Revival meeting, it does spoil a proper picture of the car. I have singled this one out, because it is the first time that I notice three cameras, but I could imagine that somebody would stand up and would at least propose to forbid these things mounted on roll bars. Do we have to wait until somebody gets seriously hurt when the camera hit somebody in the face when the car rolled? What if a camera falls off and finds a trajectory straight into a grandstand?

Anybody with me on this?
Attached Thumbnails
JQ6M9739.1.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2987928)   #2
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You've got my vote henk!

I'll add to the 'period correct vs driver vanity' scenario by suggesting the colour scheme &/or signage of all historic vehicles must be original to it's era...........with NO current day logos (especially website tags)..........& even more so, NO current driver's names alongside the cockpit or across the windscreens etc.....unless it's the original driver repeating history!

Too many times you see a beautifully restored, period correct, famous race car with "Driver: Fred Jones" logos!

Also, when will BBS realise they'd make a killing by re-casting new versions of it's iconic "RS" wheels? Thousands of race cars worldwide of all shapes & sizes used them in the 70s & 80s, but now whenever these same cars appear at historic events they're rolling on the current BBS design.
Case in point: The 1987 Le Mans winning Rothmans 962 & '77 "Moby Dick" Porsches appeared in Australia recently & both were running the new wheels..........

just isn't the same!

Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2987929)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm not sure about this. If I ever get to race at the Revival I sure would like to have some nice memories of the race. Last year one of the FJ's we ran had an camera on board and the Goodwood press office asked to see the footage so as may be to use in their DVD. That cant be a bad thing Henk.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2987931)   #4
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK if you all race in 1960's helmets and overalls as well.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2987933)   #5
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
I expected that comment, and I hope we can agree that at least helmets are a definite contribution to safety. I am not so sure about three cameras though.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2987934)   #6
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hmmmm not sure about this. If I ever get to race at the Revival I sure would like to have some nice memories of the race. Last year one of the FJ's we ran had an camera on board and the Goodwood press office asked to see the footage so as may be to use in their DVD. That cant be a bad thing Henk.
depends on where you put it....
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2987935)   #7
andrewc
Veteran

Do we know its driver vanity in that case or was it down to the mercy of the various tv stations which cover the Goodwood Revival? GoPro Hero HD cameras like that are used by many broadcasters for a comparatively inexpensive, yet high quality system.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2987936)   #8
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Do we know its driver vanity in that case or was it down to the mercy of the various tv stations which cover the Goodwood Revival? GoPro Hero HD cameras like that are used by many broadcasters for a comparatively inexpensive, yet high quality system.
I actually had not thought of that, so we may end up with christmas trees of cameras on roll bars if every broadcasting company wants these sort of shots?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2987938)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow. Is the footage on youtube? I bet it looks great. I demand he puts it on youtube, after all he is racing for my pleasure.

A difficult one. I think cameras should be allowed, after all the bloke has paid a lot of money to get the car on the grid. He has taken the risk of photos like yours being 'ruined'. Nothing too garish though...
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2987949)   #10
andrewc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
I actually had not thought of that, so we may end up with christmas trees of cameras on roll bars if every broadcasting company wants these sort of shots?
Actually I think the driver of that Lotus owns a TV station in Denmark.

Some footage will be shared, but a German TV station may want to concentrate on the famous Germans driving, whilst French TV may not be so interested in those particular drivers. I'm not referring to famous professional racing drivers, but more the regional celebrities who are not household names out of their own country.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 06:03 (Ref:2988098)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Amen to that! There are a handful of drivers who obviously think in the same way.As for the cameras,pity they couldn't be a little more 'hidden',but they are not 'that'obvious to the casual observer ie,spectators.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2988112)   #12
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Amen to that! There are a handful of drivers who obviously think in the same way.As for the cameras,pity they couldn't be a little more 'hidden',but they are not 'that'obvious to the casual observer ie,spectators.
I think a period helmet will make you fail at srutineering...and perhaps a rule, one camera per car? and certainly not on the (top of the) roll bar?
Old 18 Nov 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2988119)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What difference does it make, who are we racing for ourselves or the spectator, if the later get yer hands in yer pockets and put some money in so we dont have to adorn our cars with all those nasty modern graphics. If as I suspect no money will be forthcoming then we need to get something back even if advertising our own businesses. Also if a driver/owner is trying to write some expenses back against tax then it makes sense he has to advertise the business on the side of the car, I bet in many cases its that or the car is never seen in any shape or form.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2988122)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
to be fair I cant recall seeing inappropriate decals on pre 66 cars and the Revival make it quite clear that they do not want to see them. In respect to the cameras v period helmets I fall somewhere between the two. I agree that 19 looks wrong with so many cameras but although I personally dont have one I see nothing wrong in one mounted on a rollbar. Re helmets I think anyone not taking advantage of modern saftey developments is stark raving mad!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2988129)   #15
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Al, with due respect, I think graphics (and period livery) is an altogehter different subject, which we could debate at length, but probably not right here. (but as an interesting side story, a British driver who went at length this to prepare a Toj 3-litre sportscar in the correct period Warsteiner livery did not even receive an answer from the German brewers when asking for some support).
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2988131)   #16
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever you do! don't mention the war!

War? what war! I'm from Ireland.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2988134)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
At an invite for Goodwood I agree, thats what they want, i.e. no modern graphics then thats fair enough, I am talking more club level stuff. As an aside I am renovating the Beige IROC Camaro that raced in the series between 1977 and 81 and just found this grainy old YouTube clip and Richard Petty is racing the very car so no points or prizes to guess the livery and name that will be going on the side of the car when its finished and it wont be mine or my company!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLr93R4BzA8
Old 18 Nov 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2988144)   #18
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
At an invite for Goodwood I agree, thats what they want, i.e. no modern graphics then thats fair enough, I am talking more club level stuff. As an aside I am renovating the Beige IROC Camaro that raced in the series between 1977 and 81 and just found this grainy old YouTube clip and Richard Petty is racing the very car so no points or prizes to guess the livery and name that will be going on the side of the car when its finished and it wont be mine or my company!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLr93R4BzA8
In closed cars cameras are not an issue either....or do you plan to mount them on the roof?
And yes, for places like the Monterey Historics, Le Mans Classic or Monaco HGP, I like to see the cars as period as possible (at least from the outside)
What you do during clubraces or even the Spa six hours, is entirely up to you, I would not mind...
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2988350)   #19
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One assumes that if you took the photo of the car in question at the Revival using a digital camera then you are skating on some very thin ice!!!!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2988371)   #20
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
One assumes that if you took the photo of the car in question at the Revival using a digital camera then you are skating on some very thin ice!!!!
also a remark to be expected.... and if I had used film, the irritation about a spoiled picture would have been immensely greater.....
should we also ban mobile phones from the paddock?

Last edited by henk4; 18 Nov 2011 at 18:39.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2988420)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just to change the subject I had a great evening the other day on the other side. Someone posted the Colin Chapman 1973 season with Lotus."if your not winning your not trying" blooming brilliant
Old 18 Nov 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2988447)   #22
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is obviously going to be a very personal thing but I think these Go pro cameras hanging off the side of a historic car look dreadful - and yes I do have one, which has been used in testing - the rather more elegant "bullet" cams have the ability to be rather more discrete. Really there should be presentation scrutineering......
Old 18 Nov 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2988532)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
should we also ban mobile phones from the paddock?
now that I agree with!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2988535)   #24
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember seeing a certain GT40 at the Revival a few years back with Red Bull logos on it................until he was asked to remove them!
Old 19 Nov 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2988553)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There are quite a lot of special planes you only get to see at airshows if tere is a red bull logo on it.