Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Oct 2003, 11:35 (Ref:760566)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tifosi - discuss

Now that the season is over, I thought I'd get all academic and pose a little brain-teaser, just for a bit of fun.

We all know that the sea of red, that unfathomably huge bunch of people who support Ferrari, are known colloquially as the "tifosi", which I understand is Italian for "the fevered ones".

Now, it's fair to say that no other single team in recent memory has commanded the level of support given to the prancing horse, but here's my poser...

What would you call the fans of the other F1 teams? And why? Please try not to be rude.

Have any other teams, historically, had a nickname for their fanbase?

Get stuck in!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 11:45 (Ref:760574)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren - So Stolid Crew

Stolid: Hopelessly insensible or stupid; not easily aroused or excited; dull; impassive; foolish.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:36 (Ref:760661)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I disagree with that Glen

http://www.f1-grandprix.com/photos/france88.jpg
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/prostfan/photos/prstmt1.jpg

The pasion is just no so obvious.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=45082

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Oct 2003 at 12:37.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:43 (Ref:760668)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was then, this is now:
Attached Images

Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:47 (Ref:760670)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, but what about the cool leather jacket. Now that, I think you'll agree, is style.

Although, of course, a red pullover is what we all yearn for!

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Oct 2003 at 12:49.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:48 (Ref:760673)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"What do you want ? Another Champ ? Go ask Bernie"

Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:40 (Ref:760759)   #7
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Or a number 8 renault hat....

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:48 (Ref:760769)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cool.

Name for other teams supporter?

Sauber: the cuckoos? or in deference to the sponsor bulls or wings?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:55 (Ref:760779)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber should be nicknamed 'The Invisible Men' cause they are just that...
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:55 (Ref:760780)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jaguar - the Cubs....
Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:25 (Ref:760828)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm keeping other suggestiong for Jaguar to myself.

Minardi: The minnows?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:32 (Ref:760839)   #12
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Ah, but what about the cool leather jacket. Now that, I think you'll agree, is style.

I always thought Tifosi meant to follow but not see what has actually taken place?

Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:33 (Ref:760840)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Sauber should be nicknamed 'The Invisible Men' cause they are just that...
I have a Sauber T-Shirt. It doesn't say Sauber on it anywhere (well apart from the label!). Maybe you are onto something! Someone also remarked that he thought I'd be wearing a racecar T-Shirt while I had it on! He thought it stylish!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:44 (Ref:760910)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Minardi- 'THE BERNIE ARMY!!'
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:08 (Ref:761192)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan fans could be called "The Groupies", for Eddie's obvious rock star status!

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:28 (Ref:761217)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... or "The Roadies" Except when Damon Hill turns up
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:54 (Ref:761359)   #17
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathias
We all know that the sea of red, that unfathomably huge bunch of people who support Ferrari, are known colloquially as the "tifosi", which I understand is Italian for "the fevered ones".
I'm afraid this is not quite correct. "Tifosi" (whatever it really ment in Italian) is an expression used for italian sport fans in general - not just in F1, but in all sports. It's mainly used when their national team is playing (no matter what sport) and it's used as 'italian fans/supporters'. So basically, you could call Minardi fans 'tifosi' as well, but Ferrari's been there much longer and with much more succes, so there it goes...

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
McLaren - So Stolid Crew

Stolid: Hopelessly insensible or stupid; not easily aroused or excited; dull; impassive; foolish.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 01:02 (Ref:761412)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mclaren just reminds me of Arsenal..both have sour bosses.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 02:35 (Ref:761451)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
But both are extremely successfull
Old 24 Oct 2003, 03:34 (Ref:761471)   #20
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about "Franks' Willies", or maybe "the Beemers"?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 06:51 (Ref:761561)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The basic problem is, we Italians, with our big burden of good and bad sides, are one of the most colourful people in the world, and it's natural than we originate (friendly or unfriendly) nicknames.
British are different, much harder to excite them (only Mansell did it, in the last 25 years).
Your brains more often prevail on your hearts tha vice versa, differently from us.

Thus finding nice nicknames on British is a hard job indeed..
Old 24 Oct 2003, 08:56 (Ref:761668)   #22
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The Rennies.
The Totties.
The Mindies.
The Barbies.

I'll stop before I'm sick.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:01 (Ref:765683)   #23
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"So Stolid Crew" is a definite winner in my opinion...,

Although "The Barbies" is certainly apposite.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 15:01 (Ref:765789)   #24
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a name for a gorup of fans the Toyota team should be the East Wind - as the empirical toyota giant is attemtping a squashing of F1-attempting.
Honda, the east rain- because they are always crying.
I like the Rennies
and the cubs.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 15:20 (Ref:765805)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring

I like the Rennies
I wouldn't agree with you:
a nickname who simply mimic the original brand name of the team is not that brilliant IMO: Ferrari fans are the tifosi, not the "ferries", do you catch my drift?

I'd search for something more original....
I realize it's hard, because other fans don't have such a clear and authonomous identity...
Are really there Toyota/Honda/renault organised groups of fans? ..mmhhh...

Last edited by climb; 28 Oct 2003 at 15:21.