Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1505938)   #1
SJHolt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Farnborough, Hampshire
SJHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to Marshalling

Hi everyone ,
I'm brand new to this marshalling and I've signed up for the training day for Novices on Sat 11th Feb at Thruxton - any advice. I've got the basic equipment - shiny new overalls, boots, gloves, etc. Anything else I should be thinking of getting before the training day ? Anybody else going to this event ?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1505949)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Sounds like you're all set SJ - you might want to think about thermal underwear as well though!!

Just curious - how did you find us? Tenths that is?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1505956)   #3
SJHolt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Farnborough, Hampshire
Thanks

Thanks for that EvilPumpkin (I wont ask where the name came from !) - I'll add the thermals to my shopping list.

I found out about the Tenths through searching for Tuff-Kut scissors on the web. The search engine came up with a thread here on Tenths discussing them and having had a quick look around it looked like a good source of info so thought I'd join in
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1505968)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
LOL - cool!

Ok so:

Overalls
Boots (steelcapped)
Gloves
Thermal underwear
Hat
Rain Gear

Other things that can be useful
Tissues
Towel (you really have to know where your towel is!)
Bin bag to put your kitbag in if it rains
Small first aid kit on your belt (mainly for yourself for finger boo boos etc.!)
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1505979)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doughnuts if you want to be friends with the rescue unit.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1505993)   #6
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
common sense. always something good to bring along.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1506015)   #7
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, hope to see you at Combe, It's not THAT far from Thruxton, just depends how far from Thruxton you are!!!

I always bring spare socks, and most importantly a black bin liner to put you bag in when it rains, no bag, no matter how expensive can ever match the water ingress protection of a 5p bin bag!!

Plus;
Sun tan lotion
The biggest Thermos you can find

Other things which I have, but could cause a debate!
a Scanner
a Whistle

And you may find a fold up chair usefull, or, Invest in a fishing box, I still haven't plucked up the courage to go into a Fishing shop to get one!

If you PM me your Address I got some tuff cut scissors I'll send to you FOC!

Next question, who introduced you to Marshalling??

Lee
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1506023)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
a Scanner
An HP 5600 pixel would be good I suspect but where do you plug it in?

Quote:
And you may find a fold up chair usefull, or, Invest in a fishing box, I still haven't plucked up the courage to go into a Fishing shop to get one!

Lee
No need to go into a shop. www.veals.co.uk/
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1506027)   #9
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
LOL, right now I could think of somewhere, so watch it!!!!

Does that web site have maggots on it!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1506030)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Does that web site have maggots on it!
No, but Silverstone's has!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1506033)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
The MRMCI website used to have a pretty good "kitbag" section but it disappeared when they updated it. Shame really, I thought it was quite useful. Must have a root around and see if I still have the original docs for it - maybe Paul could use it on MarshalsPost.com
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1506076)   #12
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
No, but Silverstone's has!
LOL, everyone stop making me laugh (at my expense I might add!)

I would recomend this site for anything orange and waterproof;
Best in the country
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1506081)   #13
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
The MRMCI website used to have a pretty good "kitbag" section but it disappeared when they updated it. Shame really, I thought it was quite useful. Must have a root around and see if I still have the original docs for it - maybe Paul could use it on MarshalsPost.com
At the first bike training day we did someone was there with their kit bag and showed us what were the sorts of things you should carry around with you.

With regard to food and drink - think what you'd normally use and double it - you don't always get chance to stock up at lunch or other break time and you can't just nip off post if you've run out of either food or drink.

Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1506088)   #14
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Sense of Humour!!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1506094)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
<snip> off topic comment removed </snip>EP

Anyway. on the subject of equipment on post, does anyone know if you can use PMRs whilst on duty?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1506096)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't just restrict yourself to cirucits while you're new, experience everything you can and see what you enjoy. You're within reach of Gurston hill climb from there, and I'd recommend a trip to that for a start.

The basics of what you need to consider are: Warm, waterproof, watered and fed. Don't assume you're going to be able to get somewhere to buy drink and food even if you can afford circuit prices, so make sure you've got enough hot and cold drink and food to keep you going. Despite that, most marshals have finished their lunch by 11:30 anyway!

The best way to stay comfortable for a day is to start from your feet. Ensure you've got comfortable, waterproof boots. A few quid invested there will make the biggest difference to your enjoyment. You're going to be standing up for a long time, so be nice to your feet and they'll be nice to you. Well, until you take the boots off when you may find they get there own back!

You're there to have fun, so pick the events you like and don't feel obliged to do any meeting if you don't want to. If you're not a seasoned spectator already, make sure you attend clubbies as well as the 'glamorous' events. Most of us would suggest that the less important a meeting is (or thinks it is) the more enjoyable it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
does anyone know if you can use PMRs whilst on duty?
Erm, what's a PMR? Take a guess at Personal ??? Radio?

If it doesn't distract you, and you can hear warnings and instructions, should be OK. I tend to listen to the commentary if I'm flagging as it positively helps follow the race. Same goes for endurance races for the same reason, and it helps concentration. If you seem to being distracted by it, though, your observer or I/O will probably ask you to remove it.

If it means something else, please ask again!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1506111)   #17
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
I think they are a good I idea, as long as they are used safely, A couple of posts at combe are on the infield but you can get posted on the other side of the track thus making it difficult to comunicate with the post!

I agree with the boots, I went mad and spent about £100, but they are waterproof and comfy as hell, better than any sub £50 ones i've had at work!

[Off topic bit] when is the first meeting at Gurston Mr Woolley sir?![/off topic bit]!!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1506112)   #18
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Pre Menstral remedies??
Old 21 Jan 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1506120)   #19
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Erm, what's a PMR? Take a guess at Personal ??? Radio?
Correct. Personal Mobile Radio. sorry, should have put that on the original.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1506197)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
[Off topic bit] when is the first meeting at Gurston Mr Woolley sir?![/off topic bit]!!
http://www.gurstondown.org/calendar.htm#2005

PM to Alan Grumpy to volunteer or for additional info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE STIG
Correct. Personal Mobile Radio. sorry, should have put that on the original.
No worries, the context gave me a clue. Frankly I have to think hard to remember what BMMC stands for, I don't think I have the brain space for new acronyms.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1506219)   #21
SJHolt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Farnborough, Hampshire
Quote:
Hi, hope to see you at Combe, It's not THAT far from Thruxton, just depends how far from Thruxton you are!!!

I always bring spare socks, and most importantly a black bin liner to put you bag in when it rains, no bag, no matter how expensive can ever match the water ingress protection of a 5p bin bag!!

Plus;
Sun tan lotion
The biggest Thermos you can find

Other things which I have, but could cause a debate!
a Scanner
a Whistle

If you PM me your Address I got some tuff cut scissors I'll send to you FOC!

Next question, who introduced you to Marshalling??

Lee
In reply to your question I am introducing myself - I got a leaflet on marshalling thrust at me whilst walking up the pit lane at last years A1GP at Brands Hatch and thought that sounds like fun
Old 22 Jan 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1506560)   #22
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Good stuff, I was out in the sticks so didn't get to give out any off my leaflets!
Good that they seem to have done the trick!

Scissors on there way Via Royal Mails best, The jiffy bag wasn't re-used, honest!!!
Lee
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1506600)   #23
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:
http://www.gurstondown.org/calendar.htm#2005

PM to Alan Grumpy to volunteer or for additional info.
Cheers for that,

Am I being blind, I can't find Alan's PM details?!
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1506605)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Click on Alan's name in the list of members. You get the option to e mail or pm him.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1506663)   #25
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Yeah, I'm having trouble even finding him!!