Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Sep 2004, 17:56 (Ref:1089267)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your thoughts on Rusty Wallace retiring?

Your thoughts on Rusty Wallace retiring?

I know the news is quite old now guys what are your thoughts on Rusty retiring making 2005 his last season although he isn't 100% shore on his descion yet.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1089285)   #2
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad to see all of the drivers I grew up with retiring. But I am glad that they are at least getting out when they are on top of their game. Quite a few drivers have held on and are holding on past their prime.

J.D.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1089319)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well from my point of view he still seems to be enjoing himself. He still has a love for the sport and that showed when he was comentating for the Busch race at Fontana last weekend.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1089344)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being a huge fan of Rusty Wallace (big surprise huh, with the nickname I have lol), I am for obvious reasons a bit sad that 2005 will be his last year.

However, at the same time I am extremely relieved he has decided to go out while still being competitive, unlike some other drivers who hung on way, way too long (Richard Petty and Darrell Waltrip come to mind).

With Rusty having his own Busch team these days he will very much remain involved in the sport and if Stephen has half the racing genes his father has, I reckon we will see another Wallace race in Wins... err... NEXTEL Cup before too long
Old 8 Sep 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1089685)   #5
Even Darker
Rookie

Even Darker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm another long time Rusty fan. I first started supporting him a couple of seasons before he won his championship, when I was really impressed by the way he handled the road courses.

Although he's still competitive, I feel that he's lost a lot of his aggression, mainly since he had those two big tumbling flips a few years ago. So although I'll be sad to see him go, I think it's the right decision.

The problem I'll have is knowing who to support from 2006. We'll have to see who takes over the 2, but the suggstion seems to be that it'll be an experienced seat filler to hold the place for a few years until they see if Stephen can step up. So I might have to go with "Flying Ryan".

The other problem I have is that I need to start saving now so that I can afford to get across to Florida to see Rusty's last race in person at the end of next season!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1090247)   #6
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Being a huge fan of Rusty Wallace (big surprise huh, with the nickname I have lol), I am for obvious reasons a bit sad that 2005 will be his last year.

However, at the same time I am extremely relieved he has decided to go out while still being competitive, unlike some other drivers who hung on way, way too long (Richard Petty and Darrell Waltrip come to mind).

With Rusty having his own Busch team these days he will very much remain involved in the sport and if Stephen has half the racing genes his father has, I reckon we will see another Wallace race in Wins... err... NEXTEL Cup before too long
Yep, the fact that he seemingly couldn't remember that NASCAR had changed sponsers (or was secretly being paid by Winston to "forget" ) and the way he also talked during the sacred silence of an post Allan Bestwick throw to an advert break during the BUSCH race at Fontana should really quell any hopes he had of becoming a full time commentator after he retires!

Seriously though, any series losing a veteran driver is a sad thing, NASCAR won't be the same without him!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1090961)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also am a Rusty fan. He was/is a heck of a driver. Years ago the other drivers thought that Rusty had the most talent.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 21:31 (Ref:1093259)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's had a good innings, but he's getting out at the right time.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 07:20 (Ref:1095965)   #9
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Overall, I am not a huge Rusty fan but I do like him as he graduated from running at tracks in my backyard to the big time. He will be missed. I think some of his on-track battles with Jeff Gordon were funny and made the sport interesting.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 08:54 (Ref:1096030)   #10
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
He's got the right idea, go when you are still reasonably competitive. If you read Darrell Waltrips Autobiography, one thing that is clear is how much he regrets lingering around, the fact that a lot of modern NASCAR fans remember him for the amount of provisionals, not wins and championships.

He'll be missed though.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 06:11 (Ref:1098938)   #11
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I grew up near Martinsville and I saw Rusty win a lot of races there. I went back to Martinsville this year for the first time in ten years, and wouldn't you know it, I saw Rusty win again.

I'll miss him, he was a great competitor, and rarely afraid to speak his mind.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1103275)   #12
strangebloke
Rookie

strangebloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really a fan either but I agree it's better to go while he's still competitive. But NASCAR is losing another of it's characters and there aren't too many left.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 00:46 (Ref:1107839)   #13
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I been a Rusty fan even before he sat in a cup car. I'm sad to see him go. I'm sure he won't be to far from the spot light. " GO RUSTY GO "
Old 27 Sep 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1108245)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
He seems to be very popular amongst NASCAR fans from all over the world.

At least he is quiting whilst he is still competive.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1109322)   #15
24thunder
Veteran

24thunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also a Rusty Wallace fan,alraedy missing Him and He's still driving for over another year yet.At least We'll still see Him around the track after 2005 season,He just wont be driving. It just wont be the same.

I'm even missing a part-time Bill Elliott team.
#24,1995,1997,1998,2001 Champion,1991 Busch ROTY,1993 Nextel Cup ROTY,3 Daytona 500 victories,5 Southern 500 victories,4 time Brickyard 400 winner,3 Coca-Cola 600 wins,8 road course(record)victories!