Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jun 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4058494)   #51
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Oliphant gets a formal reprimand in race 3. https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...m-Oliphant.pdf
Old 27 Jun 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4058497)   #52
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC hasn't taken meaningful action against contact for almost 20 years now, don't know why anyone expects anything different. Funnily enough the last time they did take action, it indirectly lead to the UK having a triple World Champion.
Old 27 Jun 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4058505)   #53
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Wow! What an absolutely fantastic weekend of racing. Race 2 was particularly brilliant with Oliphant holding on for so long in the lead and Ingram getting him on the final lap (and that was completely fair, in my eyes). My driver of the weekend goes to Tom Oliphant, who drove brilliantly in the first two races. Excellent also from Tom Ingram, Jack Goff and Jake Hill, who was able to make real progress in race three, while Turkington and Shedden went nowhere. It was a shocking weekend from Turkington, possibly his worst ever in the BTCC, with no obvious explanation, but he should bounce back in Oulton Park. Butcher similar, although a decent race three from him. I was also not too impressed with Shedden, who hit a few too many cars today and his move on Jelley just wasn't on. Nice to see Power Maxed back after struggling at Snetterton, and Plato almost on the podium, and a similar story for BTC Racing and Josh Cook, who is now third in the points. Ciceley had a poor weekend, but the reversed grid, along with a fine drive by Morgan, rescued it for them, and it was great to see them get that win. Team HARD got a well-deserved podium in the impressive Cupra, and Jack Goff showed once again that he is one of the best on the grid. Excelr8 also deserve a mention for giving Ingram a potentially title-winning car. I was fearful that Ingram would struggle this year as the Hyundai didn't look too quick in 2020, but Ingram vs Sutton looks like it could be a fascinating title battle, probably with Turkington as well. And a final word for Dan Rowbottom, who really has proved many people wrong with some fantastic driving and overtaking this weekend, even more so than Thruxton. A worthy replacement for the great Matt Neal!
Old 27 Jun 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4058514)   #54
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Rowbottom has proved many people wrong and is definitely a strong driver although I don't think he'll ever be in a position to win the title. Nevertheless, I'd rather see Cammish-Rowbottom duo at Dynamics, not Shedden-Rowbottom. Shedden seems out of his depth, seems a magnet for accidents and generally the championship has moved on since his departure - I don't feel he's a necessary part of the grid anymore.

Also, it's a bit sad that the 'second league' is becoming more and more consistent part of the grid (I mean Parfitt, Hamilton, Butel, Smelt, Edwards, Neate and, quite surprisingly Geddie).

I'd say this year it can be a title fight between Ingram and Sutton - they seem to be the fastest and most consistent at the moment.
Old 27 Jun 2021, 22:12 (Ref:4058534)   #55
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Shedden is an absolute menace. He has always been a bit tap happy but he’s had about 4 incidents so far in 2 races.
To describe his driving as a bit Andy Neate would be disrespectful to Andy Neate.

To think Sheds was my thoughts for champion this year - got that wrong. He's overdriving and hitting people more than professional boxers do!
Old 28 Jun 2021, 06:49 (Ref:4058545)   #56
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great R3 win by Morgan. Really dominated that one. Good drives by Goff and Moffat too, glad Plato's last corner punt didn't work. Incidentally the last time Jack and Aiden were on the podium was Silverstone 2019

Turkington manages to salvage two points, could be very useful come the end of the season. However at the moment it looks like a two horse race between Sutton and Tingram. Still early days though
Old 28 Jun 2021, 08:14 (Ref:4058558)   #57
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'd say this year it can be a title fight between Ingram and Sutton - they seem to be the fastest and most consistent at the moment.
Turkington I think will bounce back at Oulton and Croft where the BMWs typically dominate.

Sutton didn't quite seem 'there' this weekend to me, yes he got a podium but we didn't see his usual scything through the field.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 08:20 (Ref:4058560)   #58
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Also, it's a bit sad that the 'second league' is becoming more and more consistent part of the grid (I mean Parfitt, Hamilton, Butel, Smelt, Edwards, Neate and, quite surprisingly Geddie).
Geddie I don't think is too much of a surprise to be there.

Parfitt is the disappointing one to me, I expected him to be a little further up the grid given his (Am) British GT success. Obviously touring cars are new to him, but he seems to be crashing into everyone and trading places with Hamilton.

Taylor-Smith as well, surprised he's not closer to Goff.

And at this rate I'm half expecting Chilton to walk from Ciceley before the year is out.

Last edited by Evantra; 28 Jun 2021 at 08:40.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4058568)   #59
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Great R3 win by Morgan. Really dominated that one. Good drives by Goff and Moffat too, glad Plato's last corner punt didn't work. Incidentally the last time Jack and Aiden were on the podium was Silverstone 2019

Turkington manages to salvage two points, could be very useful come the end of the season. However at the moment it looks like a two horse race between Sutton and Tingram. Still early days though
If you think that was a punt then what Shedden does is a train wreck.

There has to be something broken on Turks car that they haven't found. It makes no sense that someone of his calibre is that far back while the same car in lesser hands (no disrespect) is at the front.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4058571)   #60
yellowbeard
Rookie

yellowbeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was ranting a bit about Shovem Shedden during and after race one but he got his just desserts in race two and, thankfully, at least the stewards were consistent with their push to pass penalties (or lack of) so it all evened out. They should maybe clarify before the race how it'll be dealt with so everybody has the option to use it.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4058581)   #61
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
To describe his driving as a bit Andy Neate would be disrespectful to Andy Neate.

To think Sheds was my thoughts for champion this year - got that wrong. He's overdriving and hitting people more than professional boxers do!
wanted to think a bit before rage posting about shedden

but i agree with this. think he needs to check his head’s on the right way. either touring cars has changed a lot since he was last in it, or it’s changed a bit and his tactics are just that bit more obvious. i’m surprised - but also not - that the stewards aren’t handing his arse to him. maybe his nonsense is just the right side of disrepute.

good on neate - he kept out of the drama and drove clean races. maybe that pause was exactly what he needed.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 10:34 (Ref:4058596)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The new push to pass rules, where you have to be alongside the other car’s front pillar to claim the corner, was introduced in 2019, after Flash left. So maybe he’s missed that
Old 28 Jun 2021, 11:43 (Ref:4058615)   #63
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was nice to see, yet again, that the series produced good racing without the option tyre nonsense.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4058619)   #64
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Weird weekend really. Shedden was a disgrace, and a bit crap. Turkington was a bit crap. Sutton looked average. Very odd weekend from drivers you expect better from.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4058629)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
It was nice to see, yet again, that the series produced good racing without the option tyre nonsense.

Why was that dropped again? I must have missed why or forgotten
Old 28 Jun 2021, 13:05 (Ref:4058634)   #66
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Why was that dropped again? I must have missed why or forgotten
https://www.btcc.net/2020/12/07/team...-rule-changes/

'Tyre Options

The ‘Option’ tyre will be phased back-in at four of the ten scheduled 2021 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship events.

2020 saw the option tyre format temporarily shelved due to the hectic schedule of events, which gave teams additional workloads through reduced staffing and more logistical challenges than a regular season.

With the 2021 BTCC campaign expected to return to normal protocols, Oulton Park, Croft and Snetterton will see the Goodyear soft tyre used as the ‘Option’ tyre, whilst the Goodyear medium compound is the selected ‘Option’ tyre at Knockhill.

Across the four events, the ‘Option’ tyre must be used at least once during race one, race two and race three – ensuring a variation of strategies.

Teams do not have to specify before qualifying, the race in which they will use their ‘Option’ tyre, with all choices being declared upon cars leaving the pit-lane.

Only the Goodyear medium tyre will be allocated for events at Brands Hatch (x2), Donington Park and Silverstone, whilst only the hard compound will be utilised at Thruxton (x2). '
Old 28 Jun 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4058661)   #67
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Seconded! At no point did I think, I wish half the grid were forced to be on a tyre hat's half a second a lap slower.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 15:02 (Ref:4058667)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

Well at least now the option tyre is not used every weekend, it at least it adds something different when it is used
Old 28 Jun 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4058694)   #69
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am fortunate in that I have been able to attend the 3 2021 BTCC meetings and while I have no skin in the game in the BTCC this year I enjoy watching and keeping up with what is going on.
Just some thoughts from the Weekend, Well done to Tom Oliphant, I have enjoyed a few pints with his dad Paul over the years while we peered over the barriers watching our sons drive around in Circles and I was very happy for him and his family with Toms big breakthrough at Brands, he has speed Tom but lacks I think a little bit of belief which now hopefully is a thing of the past so I expect him to push on this season.
I did write last year about the disparity on the RWD starts over FWD and came in for some abuse but I stick by the fact that track position is vital for certain cars in the BTCC and none more so than the Honda FK8 and 3 Series BMW which are both much better in clear air and chasing than caught up in a battling pack, as I previously posted the Dynamics season along with WSR will come down to Qualifying and they will need to be able to qualify well with weight, if they cant it wont happen, Watching from bottom of Paddock hill it was clear Gordon and Rowbo had a better car than Tom from mid race and they could carry more speed at Paddock and Graham Hill but the track position gained off the start and a good opening set of laps from Tom created a margin that proved too much. On the bigger I still stick stick with Ashley for Champion as the car is ballistic with no weight and he can fully maximise it so regular 30+ point hauls for him are par for course even if he has a bad race 1 and nobody else really has that type of recovery ability I think Ingram will be pushing very hard but I think he will fall a little short but he is great to watch and credit to himself , his team and his family, Colin I would never count out but he needs to be Qualifying well from Oulton, I think Jake Hill has a good chance of been a significant disruptor but I thought at start of season he needed a season as a team leader and think he is a natural 4th or 5th this season in the Standings but I expect him to pick up 3 or 4 race wins. I would for obvious reasons like to see the Dynamics guys at the front and get some race wins they were always kind and supportive of me and my family, Rowbo has talent he was always good in Karting when I saw a bit of him as our paths crossed, he is now in a fully developed car with mega data to look at so it does not surprise me he is Qaulifying and racing well and the FK8 when light is a weapon remember my lad would have had pole on a 47.9 on his first Quali back in 2018 at Brands and the car has 3 years of development since. (Had to get that in!).
Enjoy the season dont shout at me too much remember my heart has to withstand Harry King !!!
I will drop some more thoughts after knockhill, I think I should still say Stay Safe but hopefully that is coming to and end and everyone who wants to can get track side.

Cheers.
Old 28 Jun 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4058702)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpoe View Post
I am fortunate in that I have been able to attend the 3 2021 BTCC meetings and while I have no skin in the game in the BTCC this year I enjoy watching and keeping up with what is going on.
Just some thoughts from the Weekend, Well done to Tom Oliphant, I have enjoyed a few pints with his dad Paul over the years while we peered over the barriers watching our sons drive around in Circles and I was very happy for him and his family with Toms big breakthrough at Brands, he has speed Tom but lacks I think a little bit of belief which now hopefully is a thing of the past so I expect him to push on this season.
I did write last year about the disparity on the RWD starts over FWD and came in for some abuse but I stick by the fact that track position is vital for certain cars in the BTCC and none more so than the Honda FK8 and 3 Series BMW which are both much better in clear air and chasing than caught up in a battling pack, as I previously posted the Dynamics season along with WSR will come down to Qualifying and they will need to be able to qualify well with weight, if they cant it wont happen, Watching from bottom of Paddock hill it was clear Gordon and Rowbo had a better car than Tom from mid race and they could carry more speed at Paddock and Graham Hill but the track position gained off the start and a good opening set of laps from Tom created a margin that proved too much. On the bigger I still stick stick with Ashley for Champion as the car is ballistic with no weight and he can fully maximise it so regular 30+ point hauls for him are par for course even if he has a bad race 1 and nobody else really has that type of recovery ability I think Ingram will be pushing very hard but I think he will fall a little short but he is great to watch and credit to himself , his team and his family, Colin I would never count out but he needs to be Qualifying well from Oulton, I think Jake Hill has a good chance of been a significant disruptor but I thought at start of season he needed a season as a team leader and think he is a natural 4th or 5th this season in the Standings but I expect him to pick up 3 or 4 race wins. I would for obvious reasons like to see the Dynamics guys at the front and get some race wins they were always kind and supportive of me and my family, Rowbo has talent he was always good in Karting when I saw a bit of him as our paths crossed, he is now in a fully developed car with mega data to look at so it does not surprise me he is Qaulifying and racing well and the FK8 when light is a weapon remember my lad would have had pole on a 47.9 on his first Quali back in 2018 at Brands and the car has 3 years of development since. (Had to get that in!).
Enjoy the season dont shout at me too much remember my heart has to withstand Harry King !!!
I will drop some more thoughts after knockhill, I think I should still say Stay Safe but hopefully that is coming to and end and everyone who wants to can get track side.

Cheers.

Thanks for the thoughts as ever, look forward to more. And I hope to come to a race sometime this year, so it will be good to see how everyone is getting on at close quarters
Old 28 Jun 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4058704)   #71
Heavyd123
Rookie

Heavyd123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did wsr share any setup data with ciceley or are they developing their cars from scratch?
Old 28 Jun 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4058710)   #72
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd123 View Post
Did wsr share any setup data with ciceley or are they developing their cars from scratch?
Morgan implied they develop themselves
Old 29 Jun 2021, 21:19 (Ref:4058928)   #73
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
I was ranting a bit about Shovem Shedden during and after race one but he got his just desserts in race two and, thankfully, at least the stewards were consistent with their push to pass penalties (or lack of) so it all evened out. They should maybe clarify before the race how it'll be dealt with so everybody has the option to use it.
The way the drivers were talking about the contact in their interviews you get the feeling that maybe it was clarified with everyone in advance. They all seemed to talk about it like it was totally normal and acceptable and Ingram mentioned the "tight circuit".

I agree with you yelllowbeard and with what Paul O'Neil said that it just needs to be enforced consistently. In past years it sometimes seemed like the push to pass rule would get used against JP whereas the Honda guys, I think, got away with it on occasions.

What I felt was a bit silly as well was people would get penalised in the past for using push to pass at the front of the field yet you'd often see drivers emerging that had carved their way through the backmarkers and midfield with the front of their car all "dog-eared" - presumably it must've got that way from all the rookies they punted out of the way off camera! If that were the case (and I don't know if it is) it would surely make a mockery of Paul O'Neil's explanation that the rule was introduced to reduce the costs of the damage because maybe the lower budget teams were still suffering that damage.

Maybe we now have more of an idea what Shedden may have meant at Snetterton when he talked about the possibility of being more aggressive against Sutton.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 21:25 (Ref:4058929)   #74
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I'm really pleased to see Tingram right up in the title fight. I hope Turks gets everything working again for him next time. If the trouble lingers on it might start to have shades of JP's Subaru.