Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Oct 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2965631)   #1
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is 17 too late to start?

I am currently 17 years of age and studying Maths, History and ICT at A-Level. I have been asking myself over the past few months "Is 17 too old to start a racing career?" Even during the Nineties, it was not common to be in your late 30s and still racing (Mansell/Hill) but nowadays that number has decreased a lot and it now seems that you have to be under 24 to have a good career in F1. (Just an example)
What with kids starting in karts from the age of 8, do you think that 17 is too old too soon to actually start racing or is there still hope?

Thanks, Matt Jones
Old 4 Oct 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2965656)   #2
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are looking to become F1 World Champion, maybe a bit late.
If you are looking for a lot of fun and maybe climb up the racing ladder, its not too late!
Go for it
Old 4 Oct 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2965694)   #3
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
If you are looking to become F1 World Champion, maybe a bit late.
If you are looking for a lot of fun and maybe climb up the racing ladder, its not too late!
Go for it
Ah thanks a lot, just the advice I needed! Cheers
Old 4 Oct 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2965836)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had a good 40 + years and I didn't start until I was 21 as I couldn't afford it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Oct 2011, 01:30 (Ref:2965865)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Matt,

I think the first thing to agree with yourself is whether you want to make racing a 'career' - implying you would like to earn some money and recognition doing it - or you just want to start out to have some sensible fun that you hope to persue for a major part of your life.

If the latter - it's never too late.

If the former - 17 is not too late depending on where you expect to end up. More importantly, if you want to plan a life around racing giving you an income at some point, how much money do you have available to invest to kick start the process? The answer to that question will very likely guide your decisions.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 01:32 (Ref:2965866)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The SpeCTator said what I meant to write. If you want to have fun, it's never late. You can start doing most forms of motorsport at your age.

Argentine driver AgustÃ*n Canapino debuted at the age of 15. Five years later (2010), he won the Turismo Carretera, the most important motorsport championship in his country.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 02:46 (Ref:2965888)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of europeans get real wrapped up about your age, but frankly I don't care myself and a lot of other people don't either.

We all get handed our individual circumstances. My parents never supported me one iota, I did not have any business connections or trust fund or any connections in motorsport. So I had to make my own. You make do with what you have and make the best of it.

I wished I had been an F1 driver but I wasn't so I got an education and made a career on my own in the motorsport business. Like tomorrow, I will be on track and making a living, I wont be in Autosport because of it, but I will be driving and getting paid for it, so I have no complaints.

What I recommend to any youngster is to be honest about how much things really cost to compete in a series like Formula Ford and how exactly you are going to fund it. I would choose wisely how that money is spent and what for.

The best thing I think to do is go to a racing school. If you can't afford a racing school, you wont be able to afford to race in a ladder series. In the UK there isn't really any multi day formula schools left, but in the USA or Canada for about $4000 US$ you can do a 3 Day formula car school. You will learn a good basis of technique, line theory and vehicle dynamics in a formula car and probably get 100-120 laps in along with plenty of coaching and instruction. At the end of 3 days you should realize one of 3 things:

1. You took to it like a duck to water and your natural talent is obvious.
2. You did well, but were not perfect here and there and things didn't come naturally to you.
3. You didn't enjoy it at all and racing is not for you.

If you fall into the 2nd category you might be best served getting yourself a trade and/or an education, entering the workforce or starting a business, make a fortune and then come back to the sport flush with cash to do as you please.

If you fall into the 3rd category, no surprise, as many I see have a vision or fantasy of what they think driving is from playing video games and watching on tv or trackside and then when they experience the reality, it's not so nice. So no point in buying a car until you realize you acting enjoy sitting strapped into a race car and driving 10/10ths.

If you fall into the 1st category, then you have to start thinking about money and lots of it and where it is going to come from.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When you want to go from A to Z, the best thing to do is devise a step by step plan. I myself have a career development plan and I go step by step, doing things when I can afford to do them and using that to advance my other goals.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2965893)   #8
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arie L. couldn't drive a road car until he was seventeen, went on to win two Indy 500's.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 05:02 (Ref:2965921)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fangio started racing 'proper' at 40,yes,he had had rather a lot of experience behind the wheel,but at the same time the talent was there. You have more than enough time to find out if you have talent,if you dont try,you'll never know,best you can do is GO FOR IT!! Good luck.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2965999)   #10
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you start out to be a World Champion, then I doubt that this is really the right frame of mind to approach the sport with. If you start out to enjoy every minute of your racing career, then....who knows what may achieve!
I wish you well.
ps I was 26 when I started out, never became a World Champion, by I enjoyed those years immensley.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2966032)   #11
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Fangio started racing 'proper' at 40,yes,he had had rather a lot of experience behind the wheel,but at the same time the talent was there. You have more than enough time to find out if you have talent,if you dont try,you'll never know,best you can do is GO FOR IT!! Good luck.

Im glad someone mentioned him....although the era of which he was around in there were a lot more "established Gentlemen" racing.

I think that ALL on here will agree that to coin a phrase "You are Never Too Old" to do whatever you want in this world and Racing is no exception. The only limits particulary in this day and age are the limits you place yourself thats all. Those that say "you are too old to do F1"...are you?...is there an age limit on it? no I think not....the trouble is ....is convincing others you can....but anyway Im digressing

I will let you into a secret (which is not that much of a secret) ..I am not in my twenties..nor my teens (Im leaving that there) lets just say Im as old as my tongue....and a little bit older than my teeth.....and IM just STARTING to race...indeed I have applied for my Go Racing kit from the MSA.....and I have my instructor already lined up and I am Sooooo looking forward to doing it.....and believe me...I am way way way past 17!!! GO FOR IT, ENJOY IT....COME DO OUR ENDURANCE RACE AFTER!!!

ta
Claire
Old 5 Oct 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2966061)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jimmy McRae. Five time British Rally Champion, a legend in the sport - he started when he was 30.

Get in touch with your local motor club, have a go at marshalling/volunteering at an event. Decide what kind of motor sport interests you and give it a go! Yes, it's a lot of hard work to be a pro racer, but It's better to be a weekend warrior club racer than to always wonder.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2966269)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are supposed to be over 30K race licence holders in the UK. Guessing, there are less than 1K who make a living from it. So no, you aren't likely to join them, or to get anyone to pay you to race. But at the same time those numbers show how many people enjoy motorsport and spend lots of their own money to take part.

I'd say, plan your career in or out of motorsport as something other than a race driver. Any career can become a grind, and as an amateur, you have all the pleasure you can afford and none of the boring stuff!

John
Old 6 Oct 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2966511)   #14
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course 17 is not too late! Damon Hill had his first Formula Ford race at 23 with no karting background (although he did compete on 2 wheels successfully for a couple of years) made it to Formula One at 32 and became World Champion at 36. His father Graham, twice an F1 World Champion, didn't even drive a road car until he was 24!

More recently my own son gave up karting at 16 (through circumstances), studied automotive engineering while working as a mechanic for the top Formula Ford Team, resumed his driving career on a shoe string budget in club FF1600 two years ago at 20 and has just become British Formula Ford Champion at 22. I won't pretend though that this has been easy! The biggest obstacle in motorsport is money or lack of it! If you have plenty of it and a modicum of talent then liklehood is you will have a successful career.

If you don't have too much of it but want some affordable racing (notice I stay away from the term cheap) then see what you can afford. Karting is a great place to start and things like Easykart or even cheaper Club 100 will give the feel of close racing for sensible money. If you fancy single seaters then have a look at FVee - more money but will take you onto the big circuits.

A course at a racing school is also woirth considering although as Mountain Star rightly says above there arn't really any proper ones in the UK now but something like a day at Palmersport in Bedford would give you some idea of where you are ability wise.

But the most important thing is to enjoy it. It costs too much money not too! Feel free to private message me if you would like any further unbiased views, information or advice.

DM
Old 6 Oct 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2966538)   #15
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DM gives a view from the successful frontline!
But note his words, "If you have plenty of it [money] and a modicum of talent then liklehood is you will have a successful career."

The best way to make a fortune in any field is to have two fortunes first!

John
Old 6 Oct 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2966552)   #16
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
DM gives a view from the successful frontline!
But note his words, "If you have plenty of it [money] and a modicum of talent then liklehood is you will have a successful career."

The best way to make a fortune in any field is to have two fortunes first!

John
Hi John.

I was merely trying to offer some encouragement in that even in the most difficult of circumstances it is possible to be successful. But is a lot of hard work and sacrifice and it comes down in the end to how badly do you want it.

But there is great fun to be had in motorsport and for somebody to think it is too late at 17 I think is tragic. The ageist culture we have in the sport at the moment needs to be reviewed and I (& my son) speak from personal experience. Last year a well known scheme that assists drivers in his position considered taking him on and said that he met all the criteria that were looking for except in one respect and that was that he was too old at 21! The fact the didn't begin circuit racing until he was 20, had achieved fantastic success and was even nominated as a McLaren Award finalist in his first year of National racing was all dismissed because of his age.

Not everyone is in a position to begin karting at 8 or circuit racing at 14 but if they have the talent what does it matter? Is it really so important that a driver is in F1 by the time they are 23? What's wrong with 26 or even 28 as long as they are ready and prepared for it when they get there!

Rant Over!
Old 7 Oct 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2967252)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFfan View Post
Hi John.

I was merely trying to offer some encouragement in that even in the most difficult of circumstances it is possible to be successful. But is a lot of hard work and sacrifice and it comes down in the end to how badly do you want it.

But there is great fun to be had in motorsport and for somebody to think it is too late at 17 I think is tragic. The ageist culture we have in the sport at the moment needs to be reviewed and I (& my son) speak from personal experience. Last year a well known scheme that assists drivers in his position considered taking him on and said that he met all the criteria that were looking for except in one respect and that was that he was too old at 21! The fact the didn't begin circuit racing until he was 20, had achieved fantastic success and was even nominated as a McLaren Award finalist in his first year of National racing was all dismissed because of his age.

Not everyone is in a position to begin karting at 8 or circuit racing at 14 but if they have the talent what does it matter? Is it really so important that a driver is in F1 by the time they are 23? What's wrong with 26 or even 28 as long as they are ready and prepared for it when they get there!

Rant Over!
I agree completely, I don't really understand the age hangup, especially for F1. I can understand if a 50 year old is trying to get into F1, but I don't think 23 or 33 matters that much. There are quite a few F1 WC's that achieved them in their 30's or 40's.

The problem with motorsport is that it is fueled with money. It's not like tennis where you get a racket and some balls, or soccer where you get a football and you are all set. With motorsport you end up with equipment and lots of it and then people that have to know how to use that equipment. It's a lot of capital investment that realistically most teenagers and people up to 25 years old don't have.

And I think one has to be realistic too. Most professionals that are successful have a 5-10 year window when they are one of the hot names. Few drivers can command pro drives for 30 years. Even most former F1 drivers work full time on businesses in and out of sport. So I do think that you have to put some thought into what else you can do to make a living and even if you end up as the latest hot name in Autosport every week, those days never last. I'd advise any young driver, no matter how successful, to continue to develop a trade, skill or their education.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2967508)   #18
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
...over 30K race licence holders in the UK. Guessing, there are less than 1K who make a living from it...
I suspect 0.1K might be closer to the actuality.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2967590)   #19
JohnD
Veteran

Truckosaurus,
I wanted to be generous to anyone who has visions of a career as a driver, but that's not the only way to earn money in motorsport. I know people who, for instance, make a living combining some instruction with other motoring jobs, so maybe a few more that just 100 people!
I could only find estimates of how many in the UK hold MSA licences, and it would be interesting to know how many hold Professional licences, as a marker of someone earning their living through a steering wheel.

FFfan,
Sorry if you felt my response deserved a rant, when I agree with you! I'm sorry that I haven't been in motorsport since my teens. In fact I started in my forties, when I began to have some spare money and time after family, house and career, and I'm sorry, not because I watch F1 and tell myself, "It coulda been me!", but because I get so much fun and friendship from racing.

I don't think I spend more per year than I would joining a good golf club, but that's my choice. Obviously, it's possible to spend two fortunes if you can!
John
Old 8 Oct 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2967693)   #20
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Agreed that with a modicum of talent and plenty of the folding you can get a fair way in motorsport I've seen it so many times.
However you can't buy your way into winning F1 races without that extra special talent that money just can't buy. A guy I know remortgaged his house (shades of Mansell) to go racing at slightly more than club racing, a few years down the line he lost his house and wife without achieving anything.
The best way to go about it IMHO is whatever category you choose to go in for and can afford (don't forget the race vehicle is only a part of the expense) just think that you will probably come towards the tail end of the races for a start and anything else will be a bonus.
You could try sprints/hillclimbs/autotests in a std road car to see how you fare for a start and doesn't cost the earth.
Oval circuit racing is good for learning car control amongst other cars around you and used to be cheap (in comparison to the big tracks) to enter.
I started on the ovals and when I came onto the proper race circuits after a long lay off from 4 wheels aged 42 I won the first time out, so anything is possible !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2972705)   #21
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Thank you for all the responses guys, your messages have been quite inspiring . I think you are right in that we live in an ageist society which is probably what has spurred on this curious feeling. I am taking my driving test soon so fingers crossed and will perhaps try and do my ARDS by the end of the year or early into 2012.

After my A levels I plan to do an apprenticeship as a mechanic and try and get as much work experience as I can to help me along the way. I figured that as Cars and motorsport are my key motivation to life then I should use it as an advantage.

Thank you once again!

(PS I apologise for the late reply)
Old 22 Nov 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2989993)   #22
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone has already advised. Get into a low cost rental karting series to start. See how you get on and make a decision after having some ''Fun'' first.