Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Notices

Old 20 Nov 2020, 08:12 (Ref:4017987)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Seeing a GT40 used to be special, a rare treat to be in the presence of motor racing royalty. An entire field of replicas? Not so much.

THis, It's 20 years since I first got involved with old crate racing, the first few years was eye boggling. What you saw and heard was special, be it little GT's at club meets only made in their tens, or at the bigger events where the big guns came out to play.

The waters are so muddied now you may as well be watching the M25 on a Monday morning. It's devalued the whole fraternity.

Still fun to partake but It's not what it was. If I'd wanted continuous development I'd have started out with a Mondeo not a Cortina, it would have been a lot cheaper!
Old 20 Nov 2020, 09:01 (Ref:4017991)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
It would be good if the organisers put the real date of manufacture on the entry list, then we would all know the truth, or have 2 classes for real & replica's.
Already the case, some organisers entry lists show the letter C for continuation and are working out on a kind of BOP. But how to manage with authentic cars with refurbished and improved engines?
Only my opinion but I find its a good idea to offer this kind of opportunity to watch such cars. I will with pleasure not minding replica or not. Vox populi…
Old 20 Nov 2020, 09:29 (Ref:4017992)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seem to remember many years ago we had a superb thread on here about reengineered, continuation, fake , copy or whatever you want to call them cars.
In the past week we have had three B8’s with same chassis number. Seems all the sports cars have same situation.This has also occurred with Pre War Bentley’s and most other Pre War cars
Some of the preparation people involved with cars and supposedly experts in the field use their position to create history
Good thing is that with so few GT40’s most people know what’s what and Gelscoe who create many of the new cars are very clear in what they do
Pity other people do not take the same moral stance
Old 20 Nov 2020, 09:44 (Ref:4017994)   #19
Derwent
Rookie

Derwent has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I find it sad that we have one model series creeping into historics. one of the reasons I don't go to modern race meetings is that nearly all the races are one make. Even the BTCC is effectively that. Watching a variety of types of cars with different characteristics racing is much more interesting.
I think this series is for the rich gentlemen owners rather than the spectators.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 09:45 (Ref:4017996)   #20
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Already the case, some organisers entry lists show the letter C for continuation and are working out on a kind of BOP. But how to manage with authentic cars with refurbished and improved engines?
Only my opinion but I find its a good idea to offer this kind of opportunity to watch such cars. I will with pleasure not minding replica or not. Vox populi…
I have seen these c's in entry list but it still has the date of the car as, eg 1967, it should show the date as 2015. Also the new Broadley T70's are often entered as periiod Lola's.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 10:14 (Ref:4017999)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I think this series is for the rich gentlemen owners rather than the spectators.
I don't think we should complain since it's these "rich gentlemen" who are helping to support the less wealthy racers by entering these events.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 10:16 (Ref:4018000)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure about the gentlemen in the owners description.!
Old 20 Nov 2020, 10:20 (Ref:4018002)   #23
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There are copies in 90 % of series.
Despite the explanations they are at Le Mans Classic, Monaco and Goodwood.
Should you not let copy cars into a one make GT 40 series there will be no series . All people involved know this!
Problem is to stop it becoming an arms race like U2TC.
It will involve some big hitters
Old 20 Nov 2020, 10:24 (Ref:4018003)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Not sure about the gentlemen in the owners description.!
I think the term was used very loosely.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 10:43 (Ref:4018005)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I seem to remember many years ago we had a superb thread on here about reengineered, continuation, fake , copy or whatever you want to call them cars.
In the past week we have had three B8’s with same chassis number. Seems all the sports cars have same situation.This has also occurred with Pre War Bentley’s and most other Pre War cars
Some of the preparation people involved with cars and supposedly experts in the field use their position to create history
Good thing is that with so few GT40’s most people know what’s what and Gelscoe who create many of the new cars are very clear in what they do
Pity other people do not take the same moral stance
My first experience of ringing was someone in HRSR selling their HRSR spec car and buying an FiA car . . . . which turned out to have a twin in the USA! I'm pretty sure the HRSR car is/was a U2TC car now . . . .

I looked at 3 Lotus Cortinas in the early 2000's and dismissed them all, went GT instead as I got a good honest car, for less. In retrospect I'm glad I was naieve at the time or I'd have bought a 1200 deluxe and built a Lotus. I thought you had to have a real car to get FiA papers. Which was the passport to the nicer races.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 11:07 (Ref:4018008)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A very good fiend of mine that used to make chassis for F1 cars back in the 70s has been building a GT40 for the last 35 years, and when I say "building" he has made just about every part except the basic engine. Now at 74 years of age I wonder if he will ever finish it ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2020, 12:05 (Ref:4018019)   #27
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I find it sad that we have one model series creeping into historics. one of the reasons I don't go to modern race meetings is that nearly all the races are one make. Even the BTCC is effectively that. Watching a variety of types of cars with different characteristics racing is much more interesting.
As a spectator I agree. One make races at historic events are an unwelcome intrusion and boring to watch however exotic the car. One GT40, like one chocolate eclair, is a treat. Thirty GT 40s, like thirty chocolate eclairs, is not thirty times better but thirty times less interesting. I see one make races as a good chance to wander round the paddock. If we are ever allowed back in.

Mind, I pay £20 for 8 hours entertainment. The competitors pay thousands for an hour or so so my complaint is scarcely relevant

I have no problem with continuation or rebuilt cars but do we really need more Vanwalls and V16 BRMs. Is nothing sacred?
Old 20 Nov 2020, 19:46 (Ref:4018079)   #28
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A very good fiend of mine that used to make chassis for F1 cars back in the 70s has been building a GT40 for the last 35 years, and when I say "building" he has made just about every part except the basic engine. Now at 74 years of age I wonder if he will ever finish it ?
An occasional contact of mine does a lot or work on them if he needs anything .
https://hailsham.cylex-uk.co.uk/comp...-19694856.html
Old 20 Nov 2020, 22:36 (Ref:4018095)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
An occasional contact of mine does a lot or work on them if he needs anything .
https://hailsham.cylex-uk.co.uk/comp...-19694856.html
Cheers, however he himself does make and repair stuff for Mercedes and Cosworth
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Nov 2020, 04:03 (Ref:4018114)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think maybe I have already told this several years back.However,I once heard of a scrapped GT 40 chassis that was dumped into a Marsh on the Tilbury marshland.Two nameless guys had located the remains and cut out the section that carried the chassis/build numbers.They had a wealthy un named buyer who had the numbers turn into a completely new,apart from one small section,car built.Its very very difficult to spot any differences.If the money is there,so is the car.