Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 5 Aug 2015, 03:02 (Ref:3563839)   #51
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can vaguely remember walking over the old "club circuit" at Puke but I have never seen it used. It was a nice little track in its own right I believe but I can't see it would have added much to the main track from a spectator's point of view.
Old 5 Aug 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3563872)   #52
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Agreed Bluespur, one of the last times it was used, was for the final Benson and Hedges 500 race in 1986 which was won by Gianfranco Brancatelli and Allan Grice driving my ex works, FAG sponsored BMW M3.

I raced the car the following year, but on the shortened circuit, so that would have been sometime in 1987 that the switch was made permanently.

The problem with the original circuit was that that the cars disappeared from the spectators sitting in the main grandstands for at least 25 seconds, before re-appearing down the short straight into "Railway"

The original circuit was really tough on brakes back in the days of drum rear's and the lack of dual braking systems back then!
That was 87 when your Car won the B and H. BMW M3 first appeared in the 87 European Season, WTCC Etc
Old 5 Aug 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3563913)   #53
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The short track was surprisingly good to drive on (I did it in an MG Montego!), but agree, as part of the full track, it wouldn't add a lot of value for spectators.

On its own, it was OK for spectators and I well remember Tony's Mazda, the Alfetta and Kim Austin's Chevette doing battle - and the crowd on their feet cheering!

There has to be a balance between what is good for a driver and what is good for a paying spectator.

A long track of 4.5kms means inevitably, that cars are out of sight far more than on a short track, so you get 5 lap club races instead of 8. With the appallingly low grid numbers in many classes, a long track is totally wasted.

If we want spectators back, then the track either has to be visible or grids have to be large - or both. In that respect, Taupo at least offers good viewing as does Manfeild, but neither are good for amateur photographers.

Getting a large grid of the Australian GT series on a longer Hampton track is something to really look forward to, and will also make great TV.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 09:57 (Ref:3564109)   #54
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I can vaguely remember walking over the old "club circuit" at Puke but I have never seen it used. It was a nice little track in its own right I believe but I can't see it would have added much to the main track from a spectator's point of view.
Part of the old circuit was used on some Targa prologue stages in the late-nineties. The surface on the loop was rather "ordinary" but by the time you arrived at the 90-degree right at Railway, even modest cars were at high speed. Yes, I can definitely see why it was hard on brakes, as was the left-hander by the grandstand, and you can also understand why a few cars ended up on the main trunk line.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3564250)   #55
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
If you take a look at the circuit on Google Maps or the council's GIS viewer you can clearly see the old circuit, almost entirely. How anyone managed to do that left-hander by the grandstand is beyond me!
Old 7 Aug 2015, 05:35 (Ref:3564303)   #56
Trevor NZ
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Trevor NZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you take a look at the circuit on Google Maps or the council's GIS viewer you can clearly see the old circuit, almost entirely. How anyone managed to do that left-hander by the grandstand is beyond me!
Not a problem, in fact it was fun. It was a true road racing circuit. We were not pussy-foot scared and could drive a motor car, and without the need for a divers helmet. roll-cage, kiddy harness, etc etc. LOL !
Old 7 Aug 2015, 20:06 (Ref:3564462)   #57
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor NZ View Post
Not a problem, in fact it was fun. It was a true road racing circuit. We were not pussy-foot scared and could drive a motor car, and without the need for a divers helmet. roll-cage, kiddy harness, etc etc. LOL !
I think the current corner would be more of a Challenge than the Hairpin ever was.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 06:44 (Ref:3564540)   #58
Trevor NZ
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Trevor NZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
I think the current corner would be more of a Challenge than the Hairpin ever was.
Exactly which corner are you referring to? The sweeping right hander certainly calls for a lot of courage. Whatever, if every corner is not a challenge you are not motor racing as are so many. LOL
Old 21 Aug 2015, 04:42 (Ref:3567409)   #59
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I gather that some work has already started on HD. Hopefully those visiting regularly will keep us posted.

Looking forwards very much to the new admin centre/museum/cafe which is being slotted in between the apartment blocks, then the long awaited race control building between the garage blocks and the hospitality suites above.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3567456)   #60
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I look forward to it. Passing by on Sunday, so I might swing in for a gander.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 08:33 (Ref:3573338)   #61
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Old (derelict) stand between the apartments blocks - gone.
Vertical concrete slabs for the control tower ground floor walls, between the two sets of garages, were being assembled today whilst we were there (Saturday).
Grader seems to have already started on the track extension, removing the preload.
Footings prepared just after the tunnel, where the fuel supply was, for a building, which I gather might include showers and driver facilities. (Not confirmed.)
Work also seems to have started on the hospitality suites above the pit garages - which should please the regular hirers, as some of the garages have not been watertight.
New metal base for a road outside turn 1 laid.
Various other bits and pieces seem to be being worked on which is all great news.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3573361)   #62
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Bring it on!
Old 13 Sep 2015, 04:35 (Ref:3573526)   #63
Shoreboy57
Rookie

Shoreboy57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Old (derelict) stand between the apartments blocks - gone.

Various other bits and pieces seem to be being worked on which is all great news.
Great to see signs of change underway.

Also gone is the stand overlooking the infield hairpin
Old 14 Sep 2015, 04:08 (Ref:3573730)   #64
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Track Manager Gary Stirling no longer works for HD, but will still run his 'Playdays'.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 07:46 (Ref:3573745)   #65
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see progress!

I stopped in a couple of weekends ago but was little to report on, other than the removal of the main grandstand and an access way constructed to the new section of track.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3573961)   #66
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
The original plans for the control building have totally changed. The new design is a much lower (2 storey?) building only, as Race Control now has TV screens to monitor what is going on, so they tend not to need a tall building with a commanding view over the track.

Not sure where the timekeeping will be done from as they generally need visual communication with the start line.

Not sure how this will affect commentators, as they currently use the apartment unit used by race control. Maybe there will be a location above the planned museum/admin building? I certainly don't know, but no doubt in the coming months, all will become clearer.

At either end of the hospitality suites, there will be covered viewing platforms for the proposed "Circuit Club" members.

As far as we can ascertain at the moment, we can expect maybe 4 "Premier" events a year.

The rumour is (and I do mean rumour) that when the Pukekohe contract with Aussie V8s expires, there is a possibility it will go to HD.

Other "premier" events could include a couple of overseas/international events, Moto GP and the Aussie GT Series. Also classed as a premier event will be what is currently the annual January Festival meeting, though what form that will take will obviously be up to the circuit owner.

Speculation is obviously that Highland Park/Hampton Downs could mean a two weekend event for any premier International race.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 00:16 (Ref:3575893)   #67
Shoreboy57
Rookie

According to Auto Action - Aussie GT Enduro round at HD announced for October 28-30. Bring it on
Old 22 Sep 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3575899)   #68
Shoreboy57
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
According to Auto Action - Aussie GT Enduro round at HD announced for October 28-30. Bring it on
2016 of course
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:18 (Ref:3575906)   #69
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
2016 of course
I was going to say, that'll clash with V8SC at Puke
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:21 (Ref:3575908)   #70
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I noticed they had a TV article on Story last night about what I must assume is Kenny Smith's granddaughter (only saw a scrap of it) who was driving a Formula First around HD - can't say there looks to have been much change as yet but it takes a while to get things organized as far as building and earthworks go - not sure whether the original consents are still valid, or will need amending or even applying for new ones. If the latter you can add 6 months onto any construction schedule.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3576188)   #71
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I noticed they had a TV article on Story last night about what I must assume is Kenny Smith's granddaughter (only saw a scrap of it) who was driving a Formula First around HD - can't say there looks to have been much change as yet but it takes a while to get things organized as far as building and earthworks go - not sure whether the original consents are still valid, or will need amending or even applying for new ones. If the latter you can add 6 months onto any construction schedule.

I don't believe Amy is Kenny's granddaughter, but she's very good.

In that clip you can't see the majority of the construction, we had the tilt slabs for the control and admin section of the hospitality suites being lifted into place whilst we were running on the Saturday of Icebreaker. All very organised and didn't interfere with the running of the meeting at all. Lots happening, more changes every week.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 21:36 (Ref:3576194)   #72
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Brilliant, can't wait to see the Aussie GT's there!!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3576789)   #73
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Brilliant, can't wait to see the Aussie GT's there!!
Me too! As Racetroll says, there is a lot going on but you wouldn't see it from a clip of anyone on the track, as the work is all off track.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 07:26 (Ref:3588299)   #74
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Race control building is well advanced (should be ready for the Porsche Festival in January) with air conditioning trunking and first fix electrics started. I could be wrong, but I think one of the pit garages has been commandeered as part of that block.

With cameras placed around the track, the control building, unlike the original plans, is only two storeys, with race control relying on communications from the flag points and the track cameras.

Half the hospitality suites are fully enclosed with the other half not too far away.

Extension track preload has been removed and things are really taking shape down there.

The extra building just through the tunnel is probably an equipment shed by the looks of it.

Out front, the car parking looks to be being structured with concrete kerbing.

All heading forwards at a great rate.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 03:02 (Ref:3602143)   #75
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Looks as though the new (extension) track base is down already.

Looking forward to using the new race control/timing area next weekend at the Festival weekend 1. It wasn't quite ready for the TACCOC meeting December 13th.

Pedestrian Bridge over the straight just before turn 2 looks as though it isn't far from complete - and I think that will be to/from a new spectator parking area.

Tony and Sue Quinn were painting fences...