Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Sep 2022, 08:26 (Ref:4125629)   #1321
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well don't forget 99% of statistics are made up.

Nice one, Peter.
Old 11 Sep 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4125631)   #1322
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If the royals really want to have any relevance to the younger generation, then Charles should have stood aside to let William take the mantle, as I believe that Wills is far more popular than his dad - for goodness' sake, Brian is already 73 years old.

Sorry Mike, I can't let this one pass.
We have a system which has worked well for hundreds of years. Brilliantly 70 years ago.
It's not a popularity contest. Who should decide who is to stand down and who should take their place. Should we for ****'* sake leave it to Simon Cowell to organise and make a fortune from ... and at the same time ruin it as he has pop music?
Old 11 Sep 2022, 08:34 (Ref:4125632)   #1323
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder what the other 50% do differently?
They don't get married!
Old 11 Sep 2022, 14:31 (Ref:4125691)   #1324
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry, but back to Dijon Mustard...

I spotted the other day that Leclerc's actually had some in stock so I bought a jar. I've since noticed in very small print on the back it says 'Made in Ukraine', to a recipe for Dijon Mustard. My other half doesn't like it & says it is like English Mustard (it isn't - nothing like!).

At least I have contributed in a very small way to the Ukrainian economy.
Old 11 Sep 2022, 18:08 (Ref:4125717)   #1325
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Sorry, but back to Dijon Mustard...
What about camembert, vieux Lille or beaujolais? Asking for a Max friend!
Old 11 Sep 2022, 19:35 (Ref:4125724)   #1326
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What about camembert, vieux Lille or beaujolais? Asking for a Max friend!
French cheese? Can we buy it in the UK?

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

(Apologies Gerard that's a very English "joke")

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Sep 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4125825)   #1327
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not particularly a royalist, and I think a “slimmed down monarchy” is a good plan but it’s probably a far better idea to have a ceremonial monarch as head of state than an elected president. Look at the Horlicks other countries make of electing their heads of state!

As for mothballing Buck House, except for ceremonial and state occasions, I am not sure I see the point. It will still cost a fortune to run and is the focus of the royal family in London, and maybe in England. There are plenty of other royal palaces/ homes that could be mothballed.
Old 12 Sep 2022, 16:15 (Ref:4125858)   #1328
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
As for mothballing Buck House, except for ceremonial and state occasions, I am not sure I see the point. It will still cost a fortune to run and is the focus of the royal family in London, and maybe in England. There are plenty of other royal palaces/ homes that could be mothballed.
I thought they needed to refresh large sections of it. Maybe all of it. Much easier to do and probably a less expensive project if it's not required for perpetual extended use.

When done it would make for a great AirBnB location if no longer required by a downsized Monarchy.

Meanwhile I read that Heads of State will only be allowed one accompanying person as the State Funeral and will be bussed in.

Now, since President Biden has said he is coming, how well is that proposal going to work?
Old 12 Sep 2022, 18:54 (Ref:4125879)   #1329
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Now, since President Biden has said he is coming, how well is that proposal going to work?
Piece of cake using mind countability. Our prez is supposed to go too. Taking your example with Biden, it gives 1 + 0 =1.
Old 12 Sep 2022, 23:20 (Ref:4125905)   #1330
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not so much the minds I had in mind, Gerard. More the minders.

Can GM build a huge and heavily armoured bus quickly enough?

How many of his protection squad will be allowed to be in the area? Will they have to disguise themselves in some way?

If someone could persuade Putin and Zelenskyy to attend and somehow get them on the same bus, then refuse to let them out until they have come to an agreement, would there be any chance of a cease fire? Now that would be a diplomatic coup.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 05:59 (Ref:4125921)   #1331
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
If GM can do nothing, may be Vatican's museum could help with historic models, period correct in this case.
Good idea your bus, just add Occident's official spokespman, Manu premier, and let them talk. If something bad happens top the said bus, call it fatality or accident.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 06:39 (Ref:4125923)   #1332
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Grant, your wish is command, no private planes allowed to land at Heathrow, no tchopper, only 'normal" planes. And guess what, all those so called VIPs have to use public transport to access the city center! I imagine that some explainations will be required to explain what a bus is…
Old 14 Sep 2022, 11:06 (Ref:4126044)   #1333
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course the advantage of numerous VIPs travelling together to the funeral on a bus is that they may get to talk to each other without loads of officials being in the way.
Old 15 Sep 2022, 16:14 (Ref:4126148)   #1334
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Of course the advantage of numerous VIPs travelling together to the funeral on a bus is that they may get to talk to each other without loads of officials being in the way.
Lack of translators might be a problem?

Presumably the USA would have to insist that Joe's co-travellers were carefully selected.

Maybe they could all use one of the "on-phone" direct translation apps. That could prove interesting.

Old 15 Sep 2022, 17:09 (Ref:4126158)   #1335
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm afraid that according to the Times, Biden is being allowed to bring the Beast, and a few others thought to be "vulnerable" are allowed individual transport, rather than a Routemaster. Apparently Biden hasn't got a bus pass......