Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Feb 2001, 13:57 (Ref:64542)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Argentinean driver Gaston Mazzacane was the surprise of the fourth day of testing at the Estoril circuit on Sunday, when he set the quickest time of the session at the wheel of the Prost-Ferrari AP04.

Mazzacane, who joined Prost after leaving the struggling Minardi team, outpaced both veteran teammate Jean Alesi and new Prost's test driver Pedro de la Rosa.

The Spaniard was finally able to make his debut with the team, setting the third fastest time of the day, more than a second slower than Mazzacane.

Briton Jenson Button was slowest after being able to complete only six laps with the Benetton-Renault.

Testing at Estoril resumes today.

Yesterday's times:

Pos Driver Team-Engine Tyres Time
1. Mazzacane Prost-Ferrari (M) 1:21.201
2. Alesi Prost-Ferrari (M) 1:21.415
3. De la Rosa Prost-Ferrari (M) 1:22.330
4. Button Benetton-Renault (M) 1:23.098

=======================================
I'm telling you, those Prosts are for real this year! Allez Alain!
Old 13 Feb 2001, 21:24 (Ref:64609)   #2
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, next to oblige to my love for Ferrari I too will be rooting for Les Bleus in 2001.

For the simple fact they got the best looking car (livery-wise and design-wise) in all of 2000 plus they got Jean (and a Ferrari-powerplant, but hey, who doesn't?).
Testingwise they made a big improvement on 2001 and we can only pray for continuance on that during raceweekends (well, cant get any worse in comparison to 2000).

And where Gaston always looked as the weak link in the chain, well maybe the Prost AP-04 can even make him shine.

That would be someting, wouldnt it?

Old 14 Feb 2001, 00:50 (Ref:64636)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I am hoping that the sight of Pedro lurking in the background will spur Mazza onto greater efforts. That Ferrari engine of last year was very good, and if they only make a marginal improvement, and if the Michelins are competitive, then Alain could be onto a good thing. They will surely be much better than last year. Maybe Mazza will do so well that he will last out the year. I want him to succeed - he has a new supporter in me.(not that it would help him any).
Old 14 Feb 2001, 01:47 (Ref:64647)   #4
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think we should be too harsh with Mazzacane. Remember last season, he did succeed in out pacing Gene who certainly had more experience than Gaston. Plus, Mazzacane did show what he was capable of when he held of Hakkinen for 5 odd laps

Anyway, the Prost is certainly looking good enough to get some decent points this year and Im keeping my fingers crossed for Jean Alesi - one more win Jean - leave on a high note!
Old 14 Feb 2001, 02:29 (Ref:64653)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Why only one (more win). Jean is capable of more than just one!!
Old 14 Feb 2001, 03:13 (Ref:64656)   #6
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I am sorry Mania but you have a very bad memory. Gene was faster than Mazza in all the races except in two and outpaced him during the race in all the GP.
Anyway De la Rosa was one second and seven tenths faster than Mazza today in Estoril.

PD: In spite of being a de la Rosa's fun and firmly believer that he is not only better than his teammates but also one of the top six drivers outhere, I don't think Mazza's position is fair and Monsieour Prost has created himself a terrible situation this year.
Old 14 Feb 2001, 03:37 (Ref:64657)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I fully agree with you Martin, nobody likes to be treated unfairly. However, F1 is now big business, and shafting is part and parcel of big business. You cannot really blame Alain when there are millions of dollars involved, not only in end of year handouts by FOCA, but also in endorsements and sponsorships especially if hte team does very well with both drivers. Think of it in this situation: you are the CEO and have to make a reshuffle for vice president of the company in order to land a multi million dollar deal. Sad and unpalatable, but that's business, not personal. (Sounds like the Godfather).
Old 14 Feb 2001, 03:38 (Ref:64658)   #8
Father Mulcahy
Rookie

Father Mulcahy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I for one hope Gaston does ok this year.........doubt it though......lol. Would be nice to see him get a point though.
Old 14 Feb 2001, 08:37 (Ref:64666)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but the late breaking news is that Pedro beat Mazza's time.
Old 14 Feb 2001, 12:58 (Ref:64710)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the CAR is good. That is what I am concerned about - the AP04 is faster than a diecast! Whoever is in it has a fighting chance to finish races and get up among 'em and prove that he is a pilot and not just a space-filler. Let's face it, if they were competing in the AP03 (or 02) it would not matter which of them was fastest on the two laps the car could eke out before it expired.

I am looking forward to Alain having something to worry about besides whether the car will make it onto the grid before it dies.
Old 14 Feb 2001, 18:28 (Ref:64734)   #11
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yesterday, the Spanish driver Pedro de la Rosa took to the wheel of his Prost AP04 for his first full session aboard the car. However, the information we had received from Benetton concerning his best time was false : Pedro de la Rosa broke the Estoril lap record with a time of 1:19.569.

He gave us his initial reactions : “I'm really impressed by today's test session. I believe this is the best F1 car I've ever driven and it should be within the top ten this season. We've been testing different set-ups and Michelin tyres. Ferrari's engine and gearbox are superb; the engine is very flexible and user-friendly. It's also the time I've given more laps to a track in a day¹s test. Honestly, I'm extremely happy”.(F1-LIVE)

Uhmm who was trying to hide the real time?
Old 15 Feb 2001, 03:41 (Ref:64830)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Benetton team is probably one of the worst teams on the grid. Since Schumy left in 95, they've gone down hill big time. When Alesi left in 97, they went even further down!

I'd love to have see Flav's face when Mazzacane outpaced his Renault equipped Benetton

Doubt whether Benetton will have the legs on the Jordans or the BAR`s even - that car looks to have a serious design problem.

As for Gaston, I hope he does well. I was impressed by his performances on and off last season, but I think it`s safe to say that Del-a-Rosa is the quickest of the two, and if Gaston doesent perform...you can bet Alain will drop him in no time,especially since this could be Prost's revival season.
Old 15 Feb 2001, 18:23 (Ref:64907)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there's more too this, folks. It sounds like Prost are using low-fuel runs to get faster times. Why??

1) Who holds the lap record at Barcelona? PDLR in last year's Arrows. Not the fastest car on the grid, but run then at deliberatly low fuel in order to impress the men in suits (who know nothing) and gain the Orange sponsorship deal. Prost, now without Gauloises (and I think Yahoo too) sponsorship nead $£$£$£ fast

2) They need to practice qualifying runs. For lower order teams, qualifying is even more important than at the front as it is the only chance they have of passing their fellow mid-gridders.

Either that or the Ferrari engine is the muts nuts. But where are the equally huge Sauber times?? I smell fish. Not literally of course. I don't want this to turn into a topic about my personal hygene.
Old 15 Feb 2001, 18:51 (Ref:64917)   #14
Liz
Veteran

According to Jean Alesi, the car has been running in race trim and could go straight into scrutineering and would pass. You can say a lot of things about Jean Alesi, but I defy you to say that he doesn't tell the truth. (He is too honest for modern times, is more like it.)

But all will be revealed once the lights go out at Melbourne. Until then let us just rejoice in the good fortune of Prost Grand Prix.
Old 15 Feb 2001, 18:58 (Ref:64920)   #15
Quino
Racer

I don't think its very relevant to play down on Prosts testresults on the base that they need new sponsorship or whatever. The facts show that Prost is able to provide its drivers with a car capable of topping the timesheets and breaking lap-records. To play those facts down on the ground you mentioned is implying that Prost would be the only team running qualifying setups. I think sessions like this are an important part of wintertesting anyway, even if you are comfortable in sponsorship. Still I see 2000 backmarker Prost topping the time-sheets. And this winter its not even incidental
Old 15 Feb 2001, 18:59 (Ref:64921)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll second Liz' good wishes. I'll be wearing my old "Ligier" Tee when the flag drops in Melbourne as I don't have a "Prost".

If only fairy tales could come true. I'd love to see both ALain and Jean rewarded. Kinda makes ya wonder though if the Prost shows-up the Ferraris at all, will Montezumelo pull the plug?
Old 15 Feb 2001, 19:07 (Ref:64924)   #17
Quino
Racer

I think they will EERO.
In my theory -with which i will not bore you- connections between top and middle teams and/or backmarkers have as a result -once it gets fashionable- that in the end only the 2 or 3 undisputed topteams that exist in Formula1 today will be in complete control of development-status of the 'lesser' teams they are so willingly coorperating with. And therefor are unlikely to be challenged by any other team other than their natural rivals. Unless independend factories -like Toyota and Renault- give their very best. A 'lesser' team has no way of seriously improving on WC-status as long as they are dependend on a big brother just to reach that goal.