Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Dec 2000, 20:58 (Ref:51102)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poached from Autosport.Com:

"CART appoints surprise president

Last-minute applicant gets the nod

Joseph Heitzler has emerged as the surprise choice to lead CART into the 21st Century.

The 56-year old American was the unanimous choice of CART’s nine-man Delaware Board. He signed a multi-year contract and will replace interim CEO Bobby Rahal immediately. Rahal accepted a post with the Jaguar F1 team which he started on Friday Dec 1.

"The opportunity to merge a passion for open wheel racing with my business experience fulfills a life-long dream," commented Heitzler, who most recently ran National Mobile Television Productions, which has helped provide remote broadcasting of over 8,500 sporting events. "I will strive to have all our key groups – from investors, team owners and drivers and sponsors, track promoters and management staff – to work as a team with the singular goal of providing an enhanced sports entertainment product to our dedicated fans."

Heitzler’s name was one of the last submitted to CART s search committee, but he overcame stern opposition from Long Beach Grand Prix creator Chris Pook and former National Basketball Association marketing executive Rick Welts. Pook, who withdrew himself from contention for the position several weeks ago, reportedly backed Heitzler’s candidacy and may assist the racing rookie in the transition to his new job."

So it's not Chris Pook, but it sounds to me as if this guy is miles better than That Basketball Guy. Read the rest of the article on Autosport.com and tell me what you think. I think this is encouraging.
Old 5 Dec 2000, 15:08 (Ref:51214)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cue jokes about america should use the same system as the cart 'election' did.
i have to say, it's not an issue to me. of course, it would be nice if he were an ex driver, or something like that.

he's got to be better than the rest of the people in charge of motorsport.

Old 5 Dec 2000, 16:24 (Ref:51226)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was pleasantly surprised when I read what Joe Heitzler has done in his life. He has raced on a amateur level in the SCCA sportscars in the early 70s, becoming Northeast SCCA champ before retiring from the sportscar arena. While VP of Travel Lodge hotel chain he assisted Dick Simon in getting sponsorship for his Indy Car team from his employer. This is where he became colleagues with Parnelli Jones and Chris Pook. Heitzler was then Senior VP of CBS Marketting when the Long Beach F1 GP came about and helped to develop it into CART's premier street course venue.

Heizler was also responsible for the rebuilding and renovation of America's Six Flags theme parks into a major hitter in the industry. He has also served as commissioner of World Team tennis as well as Forum Sports Entertainment and National Mobile Television. He comes as a race fan with excellent credentials in television, sports marketting and business management.

Old 5 Dec 2000, 17:08 (Ref:51230)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the television contacts and credentials that I find most encouraging. IMO this is what CART needs to concentrate on first and foremost, and from an interview I read this morning, he realises that. Also he is up on the need to promote the pilots to the public.

And with Chris Pook as an advisor, I think the racing will take care of itself.
Old 6 Dec 2000, 09:44 (Ref:51321)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i like the sound of digital tv, but i didn't know america has that sort of system. having tried this interactive jobby out on football, it would work perfectly with cart, as i suppose it has done with f1. so long as it's not too expensive, then it'll work.
sounds like a good move by cart. as an ex race promoter, he seems to understand what it needs to make the sport popular. fingers crossed for the next few years.
Old 16 Dec 2000, 14:48 (Ref:52815)   #6
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...great post KC, thanks. I must confess I hadn't heard of this man before but I agree with you Liz, having Chris Pook as an advisor could be very positive. Bobby Rahal said in England this week that he's delighted with the choice, and that above all Mr. Heitzler really wants it!

One thing though, and I don't know if any of you experienced this, but to Andrew Craig's credit he was so approachable and available to the fans. I remember a couple of safety issues with CART in the past five years or so. Twice in those five years a good friend of mine and I (...he's an engineer, I'm a consultant) spoke with Mr. Craig in the paddock with our humble offerings of contributing ideas towards these safety concerns. He entertained us and openly discussed our ideas with us. Eventually, one of those ideas came into play. Not that CART needs us with all of the great engineers they have but we thought it was remarkable that as fans we could talk to the CEO of all people on a race weekend and be heard.

I hope that Mr. Heitzler is good to the fans too as was Mr. Craig!....
Old 16 Dec 2000, 21:03 (Ref:52840)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like the right guy. Cart needed someone who was both a racing fan and highly skilled in business. (marketing esp.)

He has excellent credentials, and I am glad to see that he is also a race fan. In the NHL, we have seen what someone who doesn't have a clue about hockey can can do, and it isn't pretty.

Cart needs help, badly... Let's just hope this is the man that can provide it.