Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1328028)   #1
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio-Fisico on the rocks again?

Tempers seem to be running high between Flavio and Fisico after Fisi had throwing his gloves at Montreal, and could this be another exit like Trulli???

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=89506
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:15 (Ref:1328045)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would hope that Briatore was expressing a view not simply based on Fisi throwing his gloves off. It's a fairly mild reaction from an adrenalin pumped racing driver who has just departed from leading a GP. We've seen far more extreme examples of anger and frustration from other drivers. Still, Flavio does have a strange way of dealing with some of his drivers. Jarno, and come to think of it, Jensen, could probably tell us all about that!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1328054)   #3
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Fisichella leaves where can he go? Is there any good ride that likely will be available after the end of this season? Obviously the possibility exists that a few rides, such as either Ferrari ride, may be open after this season but right now it does not seem likely that any top ride will be open for 2006. If Button leaves BAR, which seems likely, that ride will likely be filled by Anthony Davidson so it is not a ride that will be available for Fisichella.

Also, if Fischella were to leave or be forced to leave Renault which top driver could Renault hire to replace him? Heidfeld may be available if Button gets a ride with Williams but is Heidfeld really a "top" driver right now? Who would likely get a seat with Renault if Fisichella left?

Given the current lack of viable options, I doubt that Fisichella will leave of his own accord, unless a good ride becomes available. He may be ousted but who could Renault find that is considered to be on par with Fisichella?

It does seem odd, though, that virtually all the bad luck at Renault has fallen on Fisichella's shoulders. True, Alonso wrecked in Montreal but that was due to a mistake he made, not the fault of the car. Fisichella has had severel mechanical failures this year. Has he become Renault's Rubens (for the record, since I am new here, I like both MS and Barrichello so I am not saying this because I am part of the anti-Ferrar crowd)?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1328086)   #4
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi has every right to be angry with the performances - his car has been totally unreliable. IMHO it is just another chapter in Briatore's suspect management style. Looking through his time as a team principle, there has also been a favoured driver and the #2 has been left to pick up the scraps. Flav is clearly sticking everything behind and Alonso and Fisi has to just get on with it.

If Fisi does leave I would suggest Webber is the most likely replacement given his connections with Briatore and the fact the big Aussie might be gettting a bit concerned about where Williams are heading if, as suspected, BMW set-up with Sauber. Having said that, I doubt Fisi would go. He must realise that if he doesn't make it work at Renault, there are not going to be any other top teams that will take a chance on him this late in his career.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1328105)   #5
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
Whatever Renault say, it looks hugely improbable that whatever is happening with Fisi is only misfortune; and I think his reaction (would not even rate it as an outburst) was mild, compared to what other drivers would have done. Wonder how Alonso would have behaved if he were in Fisi's shoes?

Or it could be as simple as that Flavio's quote could have been taken out-of-context(however I doubt that)
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1328123)   #6
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_carzy
Whatever Renault say, it looks hugely improbable that whatever is happening with Fisi is only misfortune...
Are you trying to say that Renault are willing to create a car which is designed to break down for a certain driver?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1328124)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id say Webber to Renault at the end of the season is the most likely option.

This frees up Fisichella to either to go Williams, BAR, Sauber or Possibly Ferrari.

I think Fisichella would choose Ferrari over all of them, as it is his dream, and Ferrari would be more then keen to choose him.

Flav knows Webber is losing some of his stock at Williams, so you may as well bring him in to a situation where he doesnt have the pressure of having to be number 1. IMHO, Webbers ability to be a solid (if not spectacular) racer and the ability to develop a car is something that Renault need, and also providing a stronger (and younger) back up to Alonso then Fisi.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1328140)   #8
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig
Are you trying to say that Renault are willing to create a car which is designed to break down for a certain driver?
No. All I am saying is that I feel Renault seem to be not doing much to fix issues on Fisi's car. I think it is a bit far-fetched that all issues come with Fisi's car, and whenever Alonso has a problem, he is still able to win races.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1328142)   #9
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
IMHO, Webbers ability to be a solid (if not spectacular) racer and the ability to develop a car is something that Renault need, and also providing a stronger (and younger) back up to Alonso then Fisi.
Forgive me if I may ask, when has Webber been known to be good at developing a car?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1328147)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
When Renault had Fisichella leading Alonso at Montreal and Alonso wanted past, I did wonder if Flavio reached for the big red button on his control panel, when Fisi came trundling in with a sick car shortly afterwards...

It's turning into a nightmarish season for Fisi. His Melbourne win suggested that he was at last going to confound his doubters and prove himself a genuinely front-rank driver. But it's all gone horribly wrong since then. I wouldn't be surprised to see him despatched at the end of the season, perhaps in favour of Franck Montagny.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1328164)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fisichella moving to Ferrari seems the most likely 'if he leaves Renault' scenario...perhaps even in a straight swap with Barrichello.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1328184)   #12
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
Barrichello is too good for Fisi (no disrespect meant for Fisi); and in this moment of crisis at Ferrari, I dont think they would want Fisi to replace Rubens; maybe Massa or some other young-gun. The best bet for him might be at BAR.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1328198)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Giancarlo has been saintly in his behaviour thus far, considering his "luck" at Renault. A reaction like this from Flavio only strengthens my view that Flavio cares only about his number one driver, who he happens to manage.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1328215)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
By the way, I have not seen this on Gazzetta's site.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1328236)   #15
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
I think that Giancarlo has been saintly in his behaviour thus far, considering his "luck" at Renault. A reaction like this from Flavio only strengthens my view that Flavio cares only about his number one driver, who he happens to manage.
Exactly...it has always been this way since Flav became a team principal.

With regards to the suggestions about some sort of conspiracy...while it might be far fetched, there might be some truth. It is quite conceivable that Renault are testing unproven parts on Fisi's car. That tends to be the way in other teams that publicly admit to having a clear #1 driver (consider in the past the way Schumi would be given Ruben's chassi if it proved to be faster during a race weekend).

The regular comments that have been attributed to Pat Symonds suggest that something is going on with Fisi's car...Symonds has been having to defend Fisi's ability as a driver pretty much ever since Melbourne.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1328317)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracey (Champ Car) was recently interviewed on SPEED's WindTunnel program and commented on his test with Benneton earlier in his career. It was supposed to be a 4 day test but when he showed up Flav stuck a personal services contract in his face and told him he had to sign it before he got in the car. PT didn't sign and only managed to get in the car after a couple of days when Bernie stepped in. It would seem that Flav has a rather self-interested way of handling his drivers. You would think that this would be regarded as a rather large "conflict of interest". Good thing for Flav his teams get results.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Jun 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1328320)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I remember reading something about the Tracy 'deal' as well.

I'd rather avoid complaining about Flavio because he has brought some cracking drivers into F1 die to his shrews eye for talent ( or is that business?!!!)

However i also think that since the Benetoon Schuey days there was all the effort focused on once car and the other was simply an entry. Schuey like that set up so much that he took it to ferrari with him! tee hee...

When Schuey was at Benetton loads people including the drivers couldn't believe how they were either off his pace consistently at a race weekend (depsite having him in testing) or their cars broke down, and some careers were efeectively ended over it.

You could suggest that a simialr situation is starting to develop at Renault, now that Flavio's got his new Schuey!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1328324)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Although i'd want to be very careful what i said obviously!