Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3724277)   #1
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Goodbye Malaysia.

This year will be the last Malaysian F1 GP.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...-farewell.html

This circuit has produced some great races, and some of the craziest weather to race under. From stinking hot and humid, to rain that resembles cats and dogs.

My favourite Malaysian GP memory will always be 2013 and the Webber vs Vettel battle in the closing stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryxP00vnmA

What has been your favourite Malaysian GP memory?
Old 7 Apr 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3724297)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Malaysia 2001 with Jos flying in the Arrows under relatively heavy rain, think he got up to 4th for a good while then.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3724308)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Never really cared much for the track. The one thing it had going for it was the potential rain risk.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3724351)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Is that where Kimi had the ice cream? If so - that's the best thing about it
Old 7 Apr 2017, 14:14 (Ref:3724353)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Probably Checo's chase of Fred in 2012. But hey it's never really had the demand, so let's look forward to France and Germany returning in 2018
Old 7 Apr 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3724357)   #6
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, just seen this. It's a real shame - as it was one of the very few tracks that I actually think Tilke did a good job on. There seem to be a good flow to the circuit and you could actually race on it. Plus, it seemed like a challenge for the drivers. There was also the tropical weather. I love those canopies on the stadiums as well.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3724368)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Probably Checo's chase of Fred in 2012...
that race stands out for me as well.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3724468)   #8
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
5 iconic Malaysian GP moments by Motorsportweek.com

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/14242

Rosberg winning the title at the 2016 GP was also a memorable moment.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3724600)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course Kimi's first win in 2003 is worthy of mention. Already we were seeing Fred's potential
Old 8 Apr 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3724627)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good riddance they will be saying, we pay all this money out for a crap crowd and no interest.

And this from the country of the leading teams main sponsor, says it all about how F1 treats countries and tracks, only interested in money, NOTHING else. Literally nothing

MotoGP sells a bunch more tickets, packs the stands and is full now of Asian riders that the track can work publicity round and get local sponsors one would hope.

Dorna have really pushed development of riders in this area, mainly because Honda and Yamaha sell a ton of bikes there, a much easier sell or them and for the tracks and riders.

Been some good races at Sepang, but they know what side their bread is buttered, and it is not F1 and it really never has been once MotoGP started getting bigger over there.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3724786)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 8 Apr 2017, 23:18 (Ref:3724842)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sepang has a monumental grandstand...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Apr 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3725130)   #13
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on em. Finally someone has left the circus on their own accord.
Great track. My favorite memory is Schumi and Rubens during a SC for torrential rain putting on intermediates instead of full wets because they knew Charlie wouldn't let them go racing again until the water subsided. Race restarted and everyone bar two pitted for tires....
Old 9 Apr 2017, 23:39 (Ref:3725139)   #14
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sepang are busy investigating the install of flood lights at the circuit as well. The positive is they're being proactive in ensuring future possibilities outside of F1 to keep the circuit busy. It's still one of the better facilitated venues around with massive pits, 3 air conditioned rooms per pit, permanent buildings behind the pits teams can use for commercial requirements etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Apr 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3725141)   #15
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First thing that comes to mind is of course , all the excitement waking up super-early with my brother, to see Schumacher racing for the first time after his accident in Silverstone, and of course F1 arriving to a brand new land, and that a tropical land...little did we know that it will be the start of the "Tilke-era"...an era that will be responsible of wasting asphalt around the world, with no soul and no character...

I hope Imola will take its place (and not say a street race in Kazahstan)

(To be completely fair, Turn 4-5-6 with its multi-brakepoint/multi-line nature is actually a masterpiece, along with Turkey's Turn 8, it belongs to the list of things that Tilke got right...which is the shortest list of the world, right next to the list of Vegetarian Eskimos )
Old 10 Apr 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3725144)   #16
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Sepang has already been replaced with inferior circuits: a tighter tilkedrome (Hockenheimring) and the mecca of paved runoff (Paul Ricard).
Old 10 Apr 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3725215)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
First thing that comes to mind is of course , all the excitement waking up super-early with my brother, to see Schumacher racing for the first time after his accident in Silverstone, and of course F1 arriving to a brand new land, and that a tropical land...little did we know that it will be the start of the "Tilke-era"...an era that will be responsible of wasting asphalt around the world, with no soul and no character...

(To be completely fair, Turn 4-5-6 with its multi-brakepoint/multi-line nature is actually a masterpiece, along with Turkey's Turn 8, it belongs to the list of things that Tilke got right...which is the shortest list of the world, right next to the list of Vegetarian Eskimos )
Agreed great circuit for F1 cars to drive on and to watch them on.
It will be a shame not to have this track on the calendar regardless of location.

Best moments. First race Ferraris and one of Stewarts best showing.
The carnage of '01 in he monsoon.
Schu vs JPM at the start of '02
Alonso and Kimi's performances in '03.
Glock's near win in '09....
Old 10 Apr 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3725255)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
That JPM 2002 drive through penalty still disgusts me.
Old 10 Apr 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3725270)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
That JPM 2002 drive through penalty still disgusts me.
Yeah, even Schumi called it a racing incident
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3725375)   #20
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Felipe, baby, be cool"

Never forget the cause of that either, that must've been a nightmare for some of the drivers.
Old 2 May 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3730631)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After Bernie's recent comments the Malaysian GP promoter feels 'conned' by Bernie, no surprise there.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129282
Old 3 May 2017, 00:20 (Ref:3730650)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
After Bernie's recent comments the Malaysian GP promoter feels 'conned' by Bernie, no surprise there.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129282
I like at the end of the article Liberty is disclosed as offering to lower the fees.

That and warm words about the importance of Europe, gives me hope.

Malaysia is one heckuva track to be missin' F1 though. It almost looks oversized for everything else.

Oh thank goodness Bernie has been deposed at last.
Old 3 May 2017, 05:52 (Ref:3730673)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
CVC's short term profit approach to F1, of which Bernie was asked to and was great at implementing.
Old 3 May 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3730813)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

Bernie's response the article is just ridiculous
Old 29 Sep 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3770641)   #25
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Malaysian GP circuit chief executive says Malaysia wouldn't want F1 even if it was for free!

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mo...-idUKKCN1C42N1

But door still open in future for a comeback??

Sad to see this circuit will no longer be on the calendar. One of the better race tracks for F1 of the Tilke designs. Sadly it will join Istanbul Park, Turkey and Buddh International in India as very good F1 circuits no longer on the calendar.