Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2901487)   #51
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very difficult to measure an "absolute downforce" and thus tricky to enforce.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2901508)   #52
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Very difficult to measure an "absolute downforce" and thus tricky to enforce.
I think there are ways round it if aerodynamic surfaces are fixed and suspension is passive but as the OP was suggesting allowing movable aerodynamics and active ride I'd say it was damn near impossible.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2901793)   #53
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lateral accelerometers are capable of measuring the amount of downforce, albeit some calibration is required. Lateral accelerometers are widely used for airbags and electronic stability control systems.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2901852)   #54
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Lateral accelerometers are capable of measuring the amount of downforce, albeit some calibration is required. Lateral accelerometers are widely used for airbags and electronic stability control systems.
Strangely lateral accelerometers measure lateral acceleration and definitely do not measure down force, yes you can infer an estimate of the down force from the centripetal acceleration when cornering, which I guess is what you are suggesting. This would simply impose a maximum speed for any given corner when I would have thought the idea of limiting downforce would be to limit the actual downforce generated and then let the designer configure the suspension and weight distribution to achieve the fastest possible cornering speed with that level of downforce.

I have built a data logging system using a longitudinal and lateral accelerometer (the exact same type of MEMS accelerometer that are used in air bag systems as a matter of fact, so I do know how they work and how to use them) I ran it a few times in hillclimb, gave a very pretty trace of speed (by integrating longitudinal acceleration) and lateral G but it didn't and never would measure down force.

I am sure the teams are able to determine downforce from 1 millisecond to the next because they have the telemetry on suspension movement at all four corners of the car but it would be extremely difficult for this to be scrutineered sensibly to ensure teams stayed within the rules. If active suspension were allowed it might actually make it easier for the teams to monitor the forces for themselves since they could measure hydraulic pressure in the cylinders rather than suspension movement but I doubt this would make it any easier to police.

One suggestion that I have heard which is very simple but on closer inspection is fraught with difficulties, this is to limit the stiffness of the suspension. For example if I put (say) 1000kg of weight on your car when it is stationary the floor (or the plank if we keep one under this scheme) must touch the ground, this would mean of course that you couldn't then run more than 1000kg of downforce without bottoming out the floor on the track. It's clean it's simple and I can't imagine it would ever work because that's just not how you design a racing car!

While to directly limit downforce might sound like a good idea I don't believe it is practical to do so. I am afraid we need to indirectly control downforce by controlling other aspects of the car design.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2901894)   #55
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also if you have a max downforce limit, a max engine power limit, minimum weight limit, same tyres. How are you going to differentiate between different cars?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2902970)   #56
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
give each team a different colour pot of paint
Old 21 Jun 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2902990)   #57
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Except the go faster red paint, that's exclusively for Ferrari.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2904283)   #58
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Also if you have a max downforce limit, a max engine power limit, minimum weight limit, same tyres. How are you going to differentiate between different cars?
I only propose a downforce limit, not a maximum allowed engine output, etc. I always opposed the introduction of standardized tyres and think the minimum weight should be abolished. However, with a downforce limit teams should still be able to reduce drag.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2904297)   #59
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
As much as I am getting a little bored looking at Sebastian's finger after winning yet another race, I feel that reducing the amount of exhaust blown over the diffuser by 90% does appear to look like the championship is being manipulated..
It only affects qualifying, not the race.

Now that we have KERS, DRS and a pretty variable factor in the tyres, the chances of overtaking are much greater than they have ever been and in Valencia there will be two DRS zones, as there were in Montréal.

I rather like the idea of Vettel having to fight for a win by overtaking people, not just cruising away at the front from lights to flag.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2904401)   #60
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Fingerboy will have to work for wins? boo-hoo, cry a river! That's what happens when your car bends the rules, pun intended. Newey is going to be at the front regardless, his wings still flex. I see this as an equal playing ground now. No one can complain about unfair advantages in this area. Williams might be towards the front now. Guessing here. And FWIW- Super Aguri came up with the ddf, their workers took it to Honda(Brawn) Toyota and Williams.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2904429)   #61
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Fingerboy? I like that. Deserves to rank with Teflonso and Britney. Everyone will know who you mean, but it's not racist or any other rubbish like that!
Old 22 Jun 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2904436)   #62
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Fingerboy will have to work for wins? boo-hoo, cry a river! That's what happens when your car bends the rules, pun intended.
......unless you do it with the double decker diffuser or an F-duct of course.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2904495)   #63
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Fingerboy? I like that. Deserves to rank with Teflonso and Britney. Everyone will know who you mean, but it's not racist or any other rubbish like that!
How about "The Finger", THF for short!
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2904510)   #64
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
How about "The Finger", THF for short!
Or better still TFF - That Finger Fellow, or other unprintable variations!
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2904515)   #65
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Jor-El View Post
Or better still TFF - That Finger Fellow, or other unprintable variations!
I quite liked the double meaning of "the finger".
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2904517)   #66
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Probably the same reason mass dampers were banned in the middle of the 2006 season, in order to give Ferrari a leg-up.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2904529)   #67
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Probably the same reason mass dampers were banned in the middle of the 2006 season, in order to give Ferrari a leg-up.
In fairness Sodemo, the mass dampers were banned as moveable ballast.
Which I think they were, but it was unfortunate timing.
How long did Reno run them before they were banned?
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2904531)   #68
Lennon
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Lennon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that changing the rules in the middle of the champ is just insane. Everytime someone comes with a great idea to be faster, FIA bans it to "save costs". Well... what is F1 there for anyway if every development is cut off to save money? What's the fun developing stuff then?

In the future no one is gonna creat a single thing, because other teams will have to spend money to acquire it (obviously).

Charlie Whiting knows every team secret, why he does not stop things he consider illegal at the very beginning?
Old 23 Jun 2011, 00:05 (Ref:2904533)   #69
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
I think that changing the rules in the middle of the champ is just insane. Everytime someone comes with a great idea to be faster, FIA bans it to "save costs". Well... what is F1 there for anyway if every development is cut off to save money? What's the fun developing stuff then?

In the future no one is gonna creat a single thing, because other teams will have to spend money to acquire it (obviously).

Charlie Whiting knows every team secret, why he does not stop things he consider illegal at the very beginning?
Agreed.

The mid season bans reflect poorly on the whole sport.
One problem is that a team can only protest something when they know about it, otherwise it is up to Charlie's discretion.
Teams also sit on their protests until they know a negative result will affect their opposition as much as possible. The tyre width saga a few years ago was just such an issue. Mass dampers - I don't know.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2904700)   #70
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Can I just confirm something which isn't clear to me from the comments above.

What has been deemed against the rules is the blowing of exhaust air over the diffuser WHEN OFF THROTTLE, by some engine map/control mechanism? So blowing the exhaust over the diffuser is OK at all other times?

Or has using the exhaust airflow for aero purposes at any time been outlawed?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2904711)   #71
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Can I just confirm something which isn't clear to me from the comments above.

What has been deemed against the rules is the blowing of exhaust air over the diffuser WHEN OFF THROTTLE, by some engine map/control mechanism? So blowing the exhaust over the diffuser is OK at all other times?
A point I made earlier in the thread...... and blown diffusers have never been outlawed in previous years, so there is no excuse that the rule makers are just catching up with the ingenuity of the teams. Apparently new rules (which don't apply this year) will mandate the position of the exhaust exits, which will remove the problem that the rule makes would have trying to explain why a "moveable aero device" has been permitted on throttle but not off throttle... Doesn't help them this year though!

To me it is quite clear that the rule makers don't want the championship effectively won by mid season, which would be the case if Vettel wins the next two or three races. In practice I think Vettel needs four more wins races to guarantee the championship.

Last edited by phoenix; 23 Jun 2011 at 12:13.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2904726)   #72
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
A point I made earlier in the thread...... and blown diffusers have never been outlawed in previous years, so there is no excuse that the rule makers are just catching up with the ingenuity of the teams. Apparently new rules (which don't apply this year) will mandate the position of the exhaust exits, which will remove the problem that the rule makes would have trying to explain why a "moveable aero device" has been permitted on throttle but not off throttle... Doesn't help them this year though!

To me it is quite clear that the rule makers don't want the championship effectively won by mid season, which would be the case if Vettel wins the next two or three races. In practice I think Vettel needs four more wins races to guarantee the championship.
It seems to me that it more to do with the very unnatural state of the engine producing large quantities of exhaust gases off throttle, rather than any effort to slow the RB down.

Exhaust gas when throttle on - natural state of affairs, so do what you like with it; exhaust gas whilst off, completely unnatural, and not allowed.

Whether they should have done it mid season I don't know, but to be honest, I don't think it will make much difference given how much of a lap is spent off throttle . i.e not a lot.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2904731)   #73
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It may seem to be an "un-natural state", but in rallying turbo engines do the same off throttle. Ban it for what it is, not for what it isn't. Saying that a moveable aerodynamic device is involved and using that as a reason is nonsense, since the same 'devices' are involved in blowing the diffuser on-throttle.

From the comments made by McLaren they expect Red Bull to lose out the most, I would say...
Old 23 Jun 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2904839)   #74
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Saying that a moveable aerodynamic device is involved and using that as a reason is nonsense, since the same 'devices' are involved in blowing the diffuser on-throttle.
Agreed. Both methods are technically illegal, but it's all got out of hand just lately. All banned for next year though.

Quote:
From the comments made by McLaren they expect Red Bull to lose out the most, I would say...
It all depends on how it affects the balance of the car. Renault stand to lose the least in that respect, since the exhaust operates in the central part of the car, as opposed to the rear ends of the other cars that run the system.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2904848)   #75
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Agreed. Both methods are technically illegal.
But only this year? And after 7 races? Why are the FIA Technical people so slow to react? They have been around since 1983!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
but it's all got out of hand just lately
Or - more simply - it no longer suits the show/the management/other teams....