Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2523983)   #51
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at this entry list, it looks very similar to Britcar 24hr, which will be back on next year. They could boost quality and entry, surely, by having a strong link between the two?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2524412)   #52
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
First practise is underway - there seems to be no regular HTML/Java/Flash-T&S, but you can download a Timing Client here,
Suppossedly the same as used by the teams.

23 cars have already turned a lap, let's see how many it'll be at the end of the session.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2524548)   #53
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Opel Astra in GT format looks rather funny. I thought the Scirocco at the N24 was funny. The Astra beats it.

Nice to see those bulky Vipers driving around still.

And the Ford Mustang is really nice: http://www.24u.be/picture_gallery/2/180/20.jpg
Old 19 Aug 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2524624)   #54
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Only 29 cars for a 24 hour race...that is rather bleak. Well,we'll cheer them on anyhows. Let's be thankfull there still are teams willing to spend the dough to run their machines.
Indeed a shame Cor Euser won't be there . Then again,we will have two GTS-R Vipers and a GT500 Mustang to look forward to...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2524628)   #55
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
They didn't have more cars the last two years... and it was probably naive to think that the new organizers could turn things around within one month.

The quality is there, but I'd really have liked more small touring cars - as originally promised.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2524657)   #56
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
The Opel Astra in GT format looks rather funny.
Haven't seen any pics - is that an ex DTM car?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2524659)   #57
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can see the photos on the official site.

Here's the Astra http://www.24u.be/picture_gallery/2/640/23.jpg

MTE Racing (#23)
Opel Astra Silhouette (Division 4B – Class S2)

Probably not the DTM car.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2524661)   #58
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, definitely not. I think there's a series in France running such machinery...
Old 20 Aug 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2524903)   #59
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
No, definitely not. I think there's a series in France running such machinery...

It's a " solution F " nissan engine inside
Old 20 Aug 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2525228)   #60
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatounet View Post

Nissan engine? That's odd? What kind? V6? Turbo 4?
Old 20 Aug 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2525235)   #61
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
That series is a "was" since a few years back as far as I can remember...
Old 20 Aug 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2525248)   #62
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatounet View Post
A Nissan in an Opel chassis? I guess that's why they call it Opel Astra Silhouette
Old 20 Aug 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2525264)   #63
Speed-King
Veteran

AFAIK it is basically the same chassis as in the Renault Megane Trophy Cars, only with a less powerfull, but cheaper version of the Renault/Nissan V6 engine and a different Silhouette. There are also cars with a BMW 1series or Audi A3 silhouette...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2525354)   #64
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
That's really silly. They're trying to apply the single seater methodology to GT and Touring Car racing? lolol

A chassis and an engine.

Next we'll see a Corvette silhouette with a Lada engine!
Old 21 Aug 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2525363)   #65
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
That's really silly. They're trying to apply the single seater methodology to GT and Touring Car racing? lolol

A chassis and an engine.

Actually, it's not the first series like that. V8STAR and Stockcar Brazil use(d) the same concept and the new BTCC-regs are dangerously close to it with the option of installing a non-branded TOCA-supplied engine and spec subframes.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2525556)   #66
GT2-R
Racer

GT2-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A chassis and an engine.

Actually, Silhouette cars are nothing new or silly . They've been racing in France and Belgium for a while now. Silhouettes are much cheaper in maintainance than touring cars and GT's of the same speed. Most of them have a magnificent sound. In the BTCS (Belgian Touring Car Series) we have Audi, Opel, KIA, Renault, Jaguar, BMW, Mazda Silhouette cars (also Peugeot and Ford in the past). These Silhouettes are pretty fast. In qualifying, the Renault driven by Kumpen/Goossens/Soulet/Sougnez did 1:34:040 (against 1:33:909 for the fastest GT3).
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2525671)   #67
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you're going to take the micky out of silhouttes, surely you'd put it the other way round? The whole point is to "supe" up the cars!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2525921)   #68
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think only Germans are succesful with building silhouettes. And I'm not sure they find them silly. That cars are half a minute faster than not-silly machinery - that's funny.
And, please, respect others' points of view if you don't want your ones to be laughed at. Believe me, I can tell a lot about 'silly' equalized GT3 formulae and some other 'real' cars.
Respect interlocutors, please.

And all the best wishes to the new bosses of Belgian GT. I wish they'll be able to make a really interesting championship with different classes based on real sport principles and not on equalized entertaining!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2525960)   #69
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2-R View Post
Actually, Silhouette cars are nothing new or silly . They've been racing in France and Belgium for a while now. Silhouettes are much cheaper in maintainance than touring cars and GT's of the same speed. Most of them have a magnificent sound. In the BTCS (Belgian Touring Car Series) we have Audi, Opel, KIA, Renault, Jaguar, BMW, Mazda Silhouette cars (also Peugeot and Ford in the past). These Silhouettes are pretty fast. In qualifying, the Renault driven by Kumpen/Goossens/Soulet/Sougnez did 1:34:040 (against 1:33:909 for the fastest GT3).
But do the Audis, Opels, etc. have an engine from the same manufacturer/model? Checked on the website and, since its in French or Dutch, I had to try the French side and they say "Audi A4", "Renault Megane". Nothing about silhouettes.

So sticking a Nissan (370 Z, for instance) engine into the silhouette of an Opel Astra is cheaper than buying a 370 Z?

I didn't disrespect other's point of view. I just find these silhouettes strange.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2527276)   #70
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But do the Audis, Opels, etc. have an engine from the same manufacturer/model? Checked on the website and, since its in French or Dutch, I had to try the French side and they say "Audi A4", "Renault Megane". Nothing about silhouettes.

So sticking a Nissan (370 Z, for instance) engine into the silhouette of an Opel Astra is cheaper than buying a 370 Z?

I didn't disrespect other's point of view. I just find these silhouettes strange.
The solution F company based in south France made this proto with the Astra GDC body. A championship type " Arrives and Drive " was created in 2006 called "touring cup " It was not really a succes but some cars have now a second life in the Belgian championship. Like : http://www.gomez-competition.com/dev...uring_cup.html

This Year 2 teams decided to change the original front Astra plastic body into Audi/bmw but are individual initiative.

Pictures of the Audi solution F

The car is reliable, funny and the budget for a season below 100.000 €
Old 24 Aug 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2527286)   #71
Speed-King
Veteran

...and sometimes they have great exhaust flames!

Just came back from the track (we decided to take on the 5hour drive after a proper night of sleep instead of driving home directly after the race) and I had a great time.
The Prospeed Porsche vs Delahaye battle in the middle of the night was truly spectacular when whoever was in the Prospeed car then started turning qualifying laps and reeled in first the First Porsche Cup-S and then the Renault Megane. Unfortunately they lost that advantage during the next stint and were behind the Megane after the next round of stops - that was when I finally decided to get a few hours of sleep and when I came back the Megane was no more...
Old 24 Aug 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2527477)   #72
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
It surely was a nice race. The car that did it for me however,was the Ford Mustang GT500KR. What a sound! 600 brake at 7800rpm's. Too bad it had big trouble with the diff during the night,'cost them many hours and any chance of a decent classification.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2527887)   #73
insanity_mc
Rookie

Belgium
near Zolder
insanity_mc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

Our pictures of the Zolder 24H are online.

www.motorsports-online.net

Some Teasers:

Greetings,

insanity
Old 25 Aug 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2528070)   #74
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Great pics insanity! And not just of the cars!
Old 25 Aug 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2528157)   #75
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Wow! I forgot about the cars when I got to page 2!

But I have to admit, that Mustang is one hot car!