Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Dec 2001, 19:38 (Ref:184723)   #1
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche Cup or Nations Cup ?

Just something I've been thinking about over the last couple of days. If you had a nice shiney new Porsche GT3 ready to go racing would you go with (as the title says) - Porsche Cup or Nations Cup ?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each category ?

Cheers, Buck.:confused:
Old 11 Dec 2001, 21:33 (Ref:184792)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It depends on whether you want to race purely against other Porsches or against a mix of cars.

Porsche Cup have, I believe, more support from Porsche and Michelin (or Pirelli?? I know a media release came out the other day about this but can't recall which one it is now) and is officially supported by Porsche whereas Nations Cup has little or no factory support and is run by ProCar, not Porsche
Old 11 Dec 2001, 23:00 (Ref:184827)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends how much you want to spend on entry fees. At a GT Production level, the greatest expense is their entry fees...obviously at a Nations Cup level, the entry fees would reletively be less. The Porsche Cup is more of a gentlemens league. For instance, Tony Quinn won 3 out of the 4 races he started in the Porsche Cup this year (albeit, gave everyone a kicking at Lakeside) but only won one Nations Cup race.

Another plus about the Porsche Cup is that you can modify the cars a bit more than the Nations Cup spec cars. Although the way 'parity' is going, you could just about run a spaceframe Porsche with a 8L Chev, 2 seats and carpet in the Nations Cup... It will be interesting to see what the new and improved Porsche will be like.
Old 11 Dec 2001, 23:05 (Ref:184828)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd go with the Nations Cup. I think I'd prefer racing against other makes, as well as Porsches.

Personally, I'd like a red Maserati 3200GT Assetto Corsa to do the Nations Cup. I don't know if it would be quick enough, but it is supposed to be significantly quicker than the standard model, and I can always dream.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 00:12 (Ref:184840)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hmmmm...tough decision actually....doesnt really matter as I will never own a GT3 ..but maybe Nations cup ..as Porsche cup really Shytes me ...its great and all , and the cars are fast ..but there are just way to many Porsches in it.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 10:21 (Ref:184924)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing I can magically afford to buy a GT3, I will do both series.

RT, the official line I remember was that Michelin were now the suppliers. But I was not sure if that included Australia as I thought, at least before now, it was a deal for Australia only and this new deal is supposedly Porsche worldwide.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:10 (Ref:184948)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure where I read it - as I have been catching up on a backlog of Brit AutoSports recently (still only up to July...) it may have been there.

As to the Australian Pirelli Porsche Cup officially supplied by Michelin
Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:56 (Ref:184966)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go with Nations Cup, better TV, basically the premier class in it's racing package
Old 12 Dec 2001, 14:55 (Ref:185019)   #9
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well not speaking for myself but for someone who won the porche series a few times I would say the Porche cup. They keep changing the rules too many times in the Nations Cup. I must say that at the moment he is starting to get his stuff together.