Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Oct 2002, 06:20 (Ref:413832)   #1
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Tourers

Anybody know wjat is happening with the Super Tourers in Sweeden? I expected there to be loads advertised for sale due to the STCC changing but I have not seen many advertised.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 11:37 (Ref:413942)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The two Vauxhall's were on sale for not too long ago, one or two Volvo S40's plus one 850 is on sale from Flash Engineering...

I guess many off these cars are not put on sale internationally, only here in Sweden...
Old 26 Oct 2002, 15:04 (Ref:414040)   #3
garry
Racer

I have seen a few for sale on various site but not as many as i would have expected. Is there a Championship being made to incorporate the Super Tourers.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 15:46 (Ref:414051)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Isn't there a Swedish/Nordic endurance series which allows SuperTourers to race. A bit like out own EERC/Britcar series.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 15:49 (Ref:414053)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, SLC, but I havent seen any of the "new" ST cars from STCC 2002 there yet. Though the SLC season is just over, perhaps for 2003 they will come out.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 17:03 (Ref:414088)   #6
garry
Racer

If that is the case then most of the engines would have to be downgraded from sprint to endurance depending on the length of races.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 11:20 (Ref:414608)   #7
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what also has happened to all the supertourers from pre aero package days? there where 25+ grids of them int he uk alone, they all can not have disappeared over the years could they???

I know a few are still racing/trackday cars but there were just so many built, where are they now??
Old 27 Oct 2002, 11:28 (Ref:414614)   #8
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_Simpson
what also has happened to all the supertourers from pre aero package days? there where 25+ grids of them int he uk alone, they all can not have disappeared over the years could they???

I know a few are still racing/trackday cars but there were just so many built, where are they now??

I've seen many here in Sweden, some upgraded with aerokits, some modified to endurace races, etc. I guess the Norwegian series NTCC has quite some of them as well.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 11:29 (Ref:414616)   #9
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by garry
If that is the case then most of the engines would have to be downgraded from sprint to endurance depending on the length of races.
Yes, at least one Vauxhall have been downgraded to about 250 bhp what I have heard and is to be run in endurance races. But the majority of the cars from STCC this year is, what I know, still for sale as they were raced in the STCC.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:32 (Ref:415064)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, it certainly doesn't look too good for teams/individuals ST cars. There just aren't enough "amateur{no offence intended??)" series or teams wanting to race ST cars anymore. At wonder at what price point would they become affordable to individuals or amateurs to buy and race? $20-30K US??
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:50 (Ref:415083)   #11
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I'm not an expert at this, but this is the view I have got from reading and listening to people in the buissnes:

The problem doesen't seem to buy the car, it is the runnnig. Now I know that every form (almost) of racing is very expensive and that the price of running the car/cars exceed the buy price of it.

But what I have understood prices of ST parts are extrodinary expensive. As an example, I have read that a differential for a ST BMW costs approx. 18.000 USD! And drivers coming from other series say that most ST cars are build like Formula One cars, perhaps not so strange as many cars were built by F1 teams (TWR, Williams, etc).

But when the official series "dissapear" for Super Tourers prices of buying the cars may drop very much. But still, the prices of these very advanced parts remain the same.

Could perhaps this be a resonable conclusion for that there isn't "enough" amateur series wanting ST cars?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 01:45 (Ref:415175)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

Actually, I recall reading about this too. But as the main buyers (Works teams) for ST parts has virtually disappeared, has this also put a downward pressure on replacement parts as well?

Yeah, I am saddened to see so many ST cars sitting around but no one racing them. I guess they make great "trophy/status" symbols to sit around the garage and out in the garden???

**Side note**Though I should be able to relate with high replacement parts costs situation, I own just a plain/street version of an older certain unnamed make of a car. And I've already $2.2K US replacing things and keeping it running just this year!!! And I haven't began to address the suspension problem too!!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 04:04 (Ref:415218)   #13
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the UK has the Formula Saloons series which is a great place to view old touring cars racing, it has everything from the old Group A cars right up to modern era Super Tourers. these are the kind of series we will begin to see the STCC cars appearing in. Just because they were raced in Sweden doesn't mean that thats where they will stay, as i'm aware a hell of a lot of the old BTCC cars used to end up abroad with the old Peugeot 206 appearing in Australia and actually winning races!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 Oct 2002, 19:57 (Ref:416668)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

Yes, the UK has Formula Saloons. Norway has the NTCC. Australia has PowerTour(formerly). Considering the success that the STCC enjoyed, we were wondering are there any efforts by an teams/individuals to somehow keep the series/cars running in Sweden.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 17:01 (Ref:426486)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Here is one ex BTCC Volvo 850 that is going to SLC in 2003:

http://www.slc.se/tempbilder/Volvo850_Team_fakta.jpg
Old 11 Nov 2002, 17:05 (Ref:426489)   #16
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
More ST cars in SLC:

http://www.slc.se/Teampresentationer/2002/slc_119.jpg
http://www.slc.se/Teampresentationer/2002/slc_098.jpg
http://www.slc.se/Teampresentationer/2002/slc_099.jpg
Old 11 Nov 2002, 17:30 (Ref:426508)   #17
garry
Racer

What is the SLC?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:13 (Ref:426561)   #18
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by garry
What is the SLC?
Swedish Longdistance Cup= SLC

Longdistance racing, 4, 6, 8 and 12 hour races with a wide range of different classes. Virtually any racing car could fit in to one of the classes.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 06:08 (Ref:426847)   #19
kmchow
Veteran

I'm curious, what makes ST cars so attractive to SLC teams? Does SLC have good tv coverage? Can they rent the car out to several drivers so as to reduce the ST operational costs?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 15:58 (Ref:428564)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I see in Autosport this week there's an ex German/Swedish Alfa 156 SuperTourer for sale. Can we persuade some nice Formula Saloons person to by and run that please
Old 14 Nov 2002, 18:06 (Ref:428624)   #21
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You give us the money and I am sure either Gary or ourselves would love to run one car each !!!!.

How about a team backed by Alfa dealers in the UK !!!

That to my knowledge is 5 of the ex STTC cars (3 x Vectra's from Picko Troberg) up for sale.
Either that or a lottery win
Old 14 Nov 2002, 19:56 (Ref:428709)   #22
kmchow
Veteran

Sometimes I wonder why companies don't at least offer a contingency program for the top amateur(??) series like the Formula Saloons. This way, they only have to pay out when a team wins and not also when they lose. They offer them in the US.

Last edited by kmchow; 14 Nov 2002 at 20:01.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 22:18 (Ref:428793)   #23
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite agree, I have asked the question of some people close to manufacturers teams but you can never speak to the people that make the decision, surely having your cars compete in the UK, which is a major buyer of cars, would be better than gathering dust in the corner of a workshop.

I know there are Audi's, Renault's, Volvos and possibly Honda's and Vectra's being stored.

Most teams in Formula Saloons would give there back teeth for such an opportunity, and most would insure the cars against unforseen damage or theft.

if there is anybody with any say in the matter reading this how about giving us a go !!!!!.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 19:52 (Ref:429467)   #24
kmchow
Veteran

Yeah, there must over 200-300 ST cars racing or in storage around the world?? I once tried to do a count regarding how many new ST cars were being built globally. At the peak of '96/'97, there must have been something like 40-50!! Now they are scattered everywhere? I wonder which country has the most???
Old 16 Nov 2002, 22:23 (Ref:430145)   #25
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now there's a question! loads of BTCC cars seem to end up in Australia. i suppose a few cars get wrecked and some get taken to bits.