Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Mar 2004, 15:58 (Ref:922989)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Vanina Ickx

This was prompted by a mention in the female F1 drivers thread across on the F1 board.

How good a driver is Vanina Ickx? She only seems to have picked up occasional enduro drives, but is she a good driver who deserves a full season in a decent car, or is she trading on a famous name?

(Apologies if I've started this thread in the past, but, if so, it died a death.)
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:51 (Ref:923125)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think her best results were sharing a car with her dad on the Dakar Rally.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:59 (Ref:923132)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Which was a matter of navigating rather than driving.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:35 (Ref:923177)   #4
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She's driving in the Belcar series this year in a Mini.

Picture can be found on Zandbak's site -> http://www.zandbak.net/2004/250304/013.jpg
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:43 (Ref:923182)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Interesting. Who's partnering her? I couldn't make it out on the back window (though it looked curiously like "E. van de Poele", but surely not...)
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:47 (Ref:923184)   #6
vroAAarr
Rookie

vroAAarr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On her own (french) website http://www.vaninaickx.com/ page Biography she mentions her "Best results"
-Victory, pole position and podiums Ferrari Challenge
-Victories Formula Ford 2000 (USA)
-Podium at 24 Heures de Spa-Francorchamps
-27th General 24 Heures du Mans 2003"

Oh... hold on... she's still single, or as she says "cŽlibataire"
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:52 (Ref:923200)   #7
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alexandra Van de Velde is the 2nd driver of the Daikin-Mini S3.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 19:17 (Ref:923233)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by vroAAarr
Oh... hold on... she's still single, or as she says "cŽlibataire"
She is way too good lookin to be that !!!
Old 29 Mar 2004, 22:13 (Ref:923408)   #9
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Vanina Ickx

Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
How good a driver is Vanina Ickx?
What I've heard from an insider, her times during the night in the last 24 hours of Spa (remember it was very wet) were among the three or four fastest cars on the track.

About the Belcar Mini, that seems to be a very tricky car....short wheelbase, 300 bhp+.......you have to drive it like a go-kart, would be great for me

This weekend we know more......more pics will follow
Old 29 Mar 2004, 23:12 (Ref:923429)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
If Vanina is a decent pedaller, why on earth doesn't she have a decent full-time drive? Famous name, novelty of gender, young, not exactly hard to look at... what more could a team want?

I know you're going to say money, but why wouldn't a Belgian company put reasonable sponsorship money behind her to put her in Renault V6s or FIA GTs?
Old 30 Mar 2004, 00:26 (Ref:923472)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id like to know what those "F2000 victories" are. SCCA/Amateur competition?
Old 30 Mar 2004, 08:05 (Ref:923654)   #12
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If Vanina is a decent pedaller, why on earth doesn't she have a decent full-time drive? Famous name, novelty of gender, young, not exactly hard to look at... what more could a team want?

I know you're going to say money, but why wouldn't a Belgian company put reasonable sponsorship money behind her to put her in Renault V6s or FIA GTs?
I could give you a list of ladies in the same situation.Decent pedallers who have failed to make progess even after winning chanpionships.Its pure prejidice on the part of those controlling sponsorship funds.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 10:11 (Ref:923766)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i read that her times at le mans last year were comparable with her co-drivers and others in similar machinery. i think at one stage she had that porsche up to 17th or 18th overall.

i've come across her a couple of times at le mans. shes always posed happily when asked, seems very pleasant and a little shy of the whole "daughter of..." situation around her.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 10:51 (Ref:923800)   #14
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Well, money could be one of the reasons. Maybe there isn't a lack of budgets, but do you accept all kinds of money?

Example: you are a vegatarian and the only budget you can get is from McDonald's.........do you go racing or do you stay at home? Don't say the hamburgers from McDonalds are 100% non-meat
Old 30 Mar 2004, 15:25 (Ref:924083)   #15
HJC
Racer

HJC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She really is a good looking, fast girl

If I remember correctly she did a couple of races in Formula Renault V6 last year. It's indeed strange she hasn't done a full FIA-GT championship yet. Her dad knows a lot of people with lots of money. Maybe she's has to do it all by herself, without help from Jacky...
Old 30 Mar 2004, 16:45 (Ref:924180)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, she raced for Stanley Dickens' Sports Racing Team Sweden in Renault V6, if I recall, perhaps at Estoril?

You'd think someone like Fina might sponsor a GT effort for Ickx and another Belgian driver (Mollekens? Vosse? Goossens? Kumpen? Radermecker?), or else she might have fitted well alongside Bert Longin at JMB.

Is Siemens Belgian, by the way? I think not, but don't know why they sponsor Bert Longin otherwise.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 17:01 (Ref:924194)   #17
HJC
Racer

HJC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Siemens is German but they have several plants in Belgium (my mother works for Siemens ). Longin was first sponsored by a company which later was taken over by Siemens and they then called it Siemens Building Technologies. They continued the sponsorship and now Siemens itself is also involved.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 05:35 (Ref:924785)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
i've come across her a couple of times at le mans. shes always posed happily when asked, seems very pleasant and a little shy of the whole "daughter of..." situation around her.
Ker, this pic is absoulutely wonderful... bully for you !

Last edited by Fab; 31 Mar 2004 at 05:35.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 07:52 (Ref:924890)   #19
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She retired from the Halliday/Stretton project just before the 1000 kms, officially she was sick.

She was replaced by Fanny Duchateau, an another belgian driver who finished to be the fastest of the three drivers of the team.

For PQ, their car is a rerserve car, hope we'll see tehm on the track in June.

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 31 Mar 2004, 08:51 (Ref:924938)   #20
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Ker, this pic is absoulutely wonderful... bully for you !
well you know shes a favourite of mine fab. short, dark, european and was peddling a viper around the first time i saw her..

pic was taken at the drivers parade, shows you its worth getting to le mans BEFORE saturday..
Old 31 Mar 2004, 11:29 (Ref:925075)   #21
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
She is way too good lookin to be that !!!
Thats absolutly right Vanina Ickx
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:14 (Ref:925125)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew you'd contribute something to this discussion.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:48 (Ref:925164)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
What amazed me is that she's wonderful on EACH picture !

This girl is a real beauty... I saw her at PQs last year, she was "street dressed"... she was alone, and she saw that I recognized her : she seems very shy... I didn't dare to disturb...

Last edited by Fab; 31 Mar 2004 at 12:49.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:50 (Ref:925168)   #24
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by HJC
She really is a good looking, fast girl

If I remember correctly she did a couple of races in Formula Renault V6 last year. It's indeed strange she hasn't done a full FIA-GT championship yet. Her dad knows a lot of people with lots of money. Maybe she's has to do it all by herself, without help from Jacky...
I think her first Formula Renault V6 race was here in Estoril, she was still coming to terms with the car so concentrated on getting experience.

I remmember being next to the V6 cars ready to come out to the track and wondering that one driver, who had the helmet on, looked a bit strange... then I read the name on the car, I didn't consider that there was a female driver in there I took a picture of the car, it was a orange one, but I don't know what I did with the pics from that day....
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:00 (Ref:925183)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think she looks just like Jacky.