Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3922562)   #101
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
No, that changed when he turned 18 and applied for Dutch nationality only. I posted a few Dutch links a few pages back.

--

EDIT:

Regulations for dual nationality can be tricky, especially when picking up one nationality triggers an automatic revoke of the other one.
And of course every regualtion has a few exceptions

https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...al-nationality
https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...ch-nationality
https://www.government.nl/binaries/g...ber+105927.pdf

I think if Max wanted to identify as Dutch, it was far easier to just apply for Dutch nationality only and not bother with any of the regulations or exceptions of either country
If you are Belgian (partly or wholly) by birth, someone of Verstappen's age retains their Belgian nationality for life unless they formally renounce it with the Belgian government. Holding a passport is not the same as holding a nationality.

Your links are relating to acquiring Dutch nationality, but you also need to look at the Belgian regulations for the full picture. Verstappen is dual-national through parentage, so didn't need to 'acquire' his nationality.

Verstappen may not hold a Belgian passport, or exercise his Belgian nationality, but that does not mean he no longer holds that nationality.

My wife is dual-national, but only holds a passport for one country.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3922568)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

I will stop talking about this. As mentioned above... we are scheduled to restart this topic on page 10. This current discussion is premature.

Richard
Knew it would never last that long.......

Anyway, what’s wrong with mayo on fries? Not just in Belgium.....
Old 13 Aug 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3922572)   #103
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really, what's it to do with us? If doesn't effect his driving. Why all the posting? Who cares?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3922585)   #104
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Really, what's it to do with us? If doesn't effect his driving. Why all the posting? Who cares?

Apologies - I missed the part of the forum guide that restricted posts about a driver's nationality. Could you show me where that is written please?
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3922588)   #105
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's just a bit of mildly distracting fun.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:11 (Ref:3922592)   #106
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Mayo on chips Armco? Love it!
And Max is the only famous Belgian I know..name another famous Belgian known throughout the World...Not Poirot!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3922597)   #107
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Mayo on chips Armco? Love it!
They drown it in that stuff.
Quote:
And Max is the only famous Belgian I know..name another famous Belgian known throughout the World...Not Poirot!
Terry Boutsen. Who was it on Eurosport that used to pronounce it like that?
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3922598)   #108
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
name famous Belgian known throughout the World...Not Poirot!
Maybe you have heard of some of these:

Jacky Ickx ?
Eddy Merckx ? Tom Boonen ?
Stefan Everts ?
Justine Henin ? Kim Clijsters ?
Eden Hazard ? Kevin De Bruyne ? Thibaut Courtois ?
Adolphe Sax ?
Toots Thielemans ?
Jean-Claude Van Damme ?
Peter Paul Rubens ? Jan Van Eyck ? René Magritte ?
Hergé ?
Mercator ?
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3922599)   #109
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What do we think that the gap will be between Albon and Verstappen will be at Spa?

I'll set the over/under at 0.35s...
Old 13 Aug 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3922600)   #110
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon Albon will seize the opportunity..
(Tintin was a famous Belgian... cheers Gert... Herge!)
Old 13 Aug 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3922617)   #111
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i think albon's going to stuff verstappen and max's head is going to fall off
Old 13 Aug 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3922618)   #112
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Maybe you have heard of some of these:

Jacky Ickx ?
Eddy Merckx ? Tom Boonen ?
Stefan Everts ?
Justine Henin ? Kim Clijsters ?
Eden Hazard ? Kevin De Bruyne ? Thibaut Courtois ?
Adolphe Sax ?
Toots Thielemans ?
Jean-Claude Van Damme ?
Peter Paul Rubens ? Jan Van Eyck ? René Magritte ?
Hergé ?
Mercator ?
Never heard of them.

Oh wait... Jean-Claude Van Damme! I know him. I thought he was Dutch?

Ok, I joke. No offense meant gert. I recognize a number of them and the rest are predominantly athletes for sports I don't follow at all. And no negativity from me for Belgium. I was there very briefly (changing trains in Brussels). I would love to return some day. I have a number of places and things I would like to do. Ranging from a track day at Spa to visiting WW2 sites such as Bastogne.

Richard
Old 13 Aug 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3922619)   #113
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Would he want to identify with a nation that puts mayonnaise on its chips?...
We do the same. Maybe that's the real reason he left Belgium and the Netherlands for Monaco, always assumed it was for tax reasons.

BTW Is Albon Thai or British?
Old 13 Aug 2019, 23:35 (Ref:3922624)   #114
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yeah, i think albon's going to stuff verstappen and max's head is going to fall off
Big call here Bella.

You honestly reckon Albon has got Max's measure?
Old 14 Aug 2019, 00:16 (Ref:3922626)   #115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It would be great if he did what Max did at his first Red Bull race.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 01:17 (Ref:3922628)   #116
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Big call here Bella.

You honestly reckon Albon has got Max's measure?
only for the first race. for the rest of the season it’ll go as it usually does for new number twos at red bull. 0.4 sec behind the number one in quali, about 5 places behind in the races.

all but verstappen are interchangeable at red bull/toro rosso. smart guys, fast too, but lacking that final bit of speed. have a feeling we’ll see pato o’ward in a toro rosso next year.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 03:06 (Ref:3922632)   #117
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Also worked in the case of Sebastian Vettel and Danny Ricciardo. Wich would seem to improve their strike rate.
Verstappen was never part of RB's junior driver program like Vettel & Ricciardo.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 04:25 (Ref:3922634)   #118
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well to me Albons big question mark on his career was with ART in F2 2017. The team that had dominated with Vandoorne in 2015, although Matsushita was pretty terrible in both 2015 and 2016 with Sirotkin as team mate, who only managed 3rd in points. But Albon joins the next year and only finishes 10th in points, with almost half as many points as Matsushita. That's bad. ART then understandable drop him for Russell, who goes on to clean up the title. You'd think that would be it for Albon but actually somehow finishing 3rd in points with DAMS next year, scoring more than twice as many points as Latifi. Maybe he's a slow learner? Now Latifi is in a fight for this years championship. I wonder if RB looked at those comparisons?

Anyway I always quite liked Albon. When they were team mates in GP3 it was between Leclerc and Albon - who actually scored more wins than Leclerc. Leclerc got the best seat in F2 and then straight up to F1. But both of them were the stand outs and finished much higher than Fukuzumi and De Vries, who himself is probably going to win F2 this year and is there a seat available in F1 for him next year? Maybe replacing Giovinazzi? So if Leclerc is good, then Albon can't be too bad either because they were fairly even in GP3. Leclerc was just that tiny bit better but not much.

I can't help feel Albon is just another distant #2 driver though. They obviously want to establish if he can be a future star for them. There's no point putting Kyvat back in the car, he's not a star. Just because he got a lucky podium a race ago doesn't mean he should now move to RB... and then what next year? Really, is Kyvat good enough to be in one of the top 3 teams in the pinnacle of motorsport? He can't seriously replace Verstappen, or Vettel and Ricciardo if we go back to past seasons. So, might as well give Albon a go and see if he burns. Verstappen didn't struggle from F3 to F1.

As for future, sure there's Paty O'Ward but I don't know about the hype around Paty. He certainly hasn't stood out like Colton has, winning his 3rd race. His first F2 round was nothing special. Is he really F1 material ahead of guys like Alex Rossi and Newgarden?

As for the rest, I guess Vips is the most likely so far but he needs to move up to F2. Liam Lawson is fast too considering he's only 17, just needs to be in a competitive car because MP Motorsport in F3 is too slow to stand out. I don't know why RB don't look at someone like Pascal Wehrlein, or Ocon since Merc don't want him.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:33 (Ref:3922637)   #119
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=djinvicta;3922592]Mayo on chips Armco? Love it!
And Max is the only famous Belgian I know..name another famous Belgian known throughout the World...Not Poirot![/QUOTE

Tintin
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3922641)   #120
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The list forgot Thierry Boutsen too.

Old 14 Aug 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3922647)   #121
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would've found Hulkenberg a good choice at Red Bull next to Verstappen ( they could've made fun of the rest of the crew in Dutch). Then Renault could've put Ocon or Gasley next to Ricciardo.

Well, let's see how Albon will get on.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3922648)   #122
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
We do the same. Maybe that's the real reason he left Belgium and the Netherlands for Monaco, always assumed it was for tax reasons.

BTW Is Albon Thai or British?
He's British, he comes from the West Midlands.
(Surely, everyone's heard of West Bromwich Albon?)
Old 14 Aug 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3922649)   #123
midgetman
Veteran

Groan.

The reason I don't like these discussions is that elsewhere they've escalated quite nastily.

Old 14 Aug 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3922652)   #124
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Groan.

The reason I don't like these discussions is that elsewhere they've escalated quite nastily.
Maybe - but we're very civilised here (we only put Euro Mayo on our frites) so all should be OK.

As for Albon - I'm sure that I saw somewhere that he has an option to be Maltese - apparently his mum flew over there once & liked the look of the place!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3922656)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well I do remember his father competing in the BTCC in a Renault 19 in 1994