Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jun 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3094708)   #101
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
I thought the new grandstands at Gothenburg took 12k?

EDIT: According to this the new stands are indeed 12k. So 9k in a stand for 12k, could be about right. Also remember, due to the bad weather people could have bought tickets (or got them from a team/sposor) but decided not to go anyway since it was raining basicly the whole morning if I'm not misstaken.
Well, Ticnet had it at 10,600 and they sell the tickets. But maybe I miscounted. But if you have to pay through the nose to get in (600kr for a ticket), you don't let a few rain drops keep you away - and indeed the top and lower side sections of the grand stands were pretty full. The long base section was the one with people missing, and that's been reserved for sponsorship tickets from day one. Obizz, great pictures but not as much use as the mast camera shot on a big TV. Defo some blank spots during the race but I really do not have the energy to argue crowd figures. It's all baseless speculation and the ones with the real figures are probably lying through their teeth. The point is, I think with a street race in Gothenburg you should draw 29k through the gates, not in front of the TV. Just as it is ridicolous people argue over 4,000 or 6,000 spectators on a regular event. Either figure is useless.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3094727)   #102
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, it's pretty pointless to argue about since we can't exactly count them ourselves but ~9000 didn't seem unrealistic from what I saw standing on the infield.
I'm pretty sure the figures for STCC in earlier years weren't that much higher though. The official numbers were but in terms of actual people being there...

It rained through the night but from 7-8 in the morning it had stopped.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3094737)   #103
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
The point is, I think with a street race in Gothenburg you should draw 29k through the gates, not in front of the TV. Just as it is ridicolous people argue over 4,000 or 6,000 spectators on a regular event. Either figure is useless.
100% agree with you. However, it is what it is right now, give TTA a year or two and we might see a startinggrid twice as big, with twice as many cars in the supportclasses, and maybe they will come closer to that 29k at the track. Not many tracks tho can take 29k in Sweden, probably only Anderstorp and Tierp right now, maybe Gothenburg if they really try, they will need a whole lot of new stands tho!
Old 19 Jun 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3094869)   #104
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
100% agree with you. However, it is what it is right now, give TTA a year or two and we might see a startinggrid twice as big, with twice as many cars in the supportclasses, and maybe they will come closer to that 29k at the track. Not many tracks tho can take 29k in Sweden, probably only Anderstorp and Tierp right now, maybe Gothenburg if they really try, they will need a whole lot of new stands tho!
Without beeing specific to TTA I think there is potential to draw 20-30k crowds in Sweden but it will take serious and persistant marketing and above all they need to keep improving the series!

I don't like how it in Sweden seems to have become a fact that people aren't interested in motorsport and that 10k crowds are a success, if the people in charge listen to what the people want and stop being content with decent figures I think there's potential for something way better than what we have today.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3094988)   #105
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
With this low amount (in my opinion) of spectators and TV viewers I am surprised manufacturers/importers and sponsors are putting so much money in STCC/TTA.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3095083)   #106
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
if the people in charge listen to what the people want and stop being content with decent figures I think there's potential for something way better than what we have today.
Thats exactly what TTA is doing, and what STCC hasnt been doing for the last years (well basicly ever since ST died). TTA is already on its way to provide something that the spectators actually want to watch -> faster and more spectacular races! Why do you think Turismo Carretera is so popular for example?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3095191)   #107
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I think TTA is on the right track, I just hope that they don't get content ad keep improving the racing, the events and the tv produdtions.

I read the racingbar forums a lot and judging from some of flashes comments he seems to be very fast to get defensive when someone criticizes instead of listening and improving. I am aware that he isn't the only person in charge but I hope they don't all act like that.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3095215)   #108
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I read the racingbar forums a lot and judging from some of flashes comments he seems to be very fast to get defensive when someone criticizes instead of listening and improving.
I don't get that feeling when talking to him at the races though.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3095573)   #109
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
With this low amount (in my opinion) of spectators and TV viewers I am surprised manufacturers/importers and sponsors are putting so much money in STCC/TTA.
indeed
Old 21 Jun 2012, 07:05 (Ref:3095773)   #110
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't realize there was a split and TTA even existed - cars look good, wife has a Saab 93, might get her to trade it in for one of them race cars
Old 24 Sep 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3141023)   #111
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
STCC plans rallycross as new class for 2013
The STCC organisation is planning to introduce rallycross as a class to the existing championship for next year. The planned class has been named "Rallycross Supercars" with cars from the Division 1 rallycross regulations.

"This would be a real boost for the rallycross. With STCC as platform, the rallycross would be able to develop and get spectators like never before. To coordinate rallycross events with STCC's racing would give the spectators something new and excting where both racing and rallycross could be winners," said Tommy Kristoffersson, Team Biogas.se team owner and former rallycross driver.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8175

This is a support series for STCC or does it replace the current S2000 cars?
Old 24 Sep 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3141031)   #112
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Support series. GRC has proved you don't need gravel to do rally cross, but the rallycross track at Knustorp could be back in working order with little work. Add Solvalla and there's three events right there. Don't think they'd do much more than that - four or five event series including the standalone finale.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3141287)   #113
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like STCC has shot themselves in the foot with their preferrence for the Biogas VWs. As I doubt that Chevrolet will be around in next year's STCC, they have only two options; trying to rack up a budget for a full WTCC campaign or going to TTA. Given that TTA itself is losing a bit of momentum, Chevy might provide a boost to the series.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3141367)   #114
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Looks like STCC has shot themselves in the foot with their preferrence for the Biogas VWs. As I doubt that Chevrolet will be around in next year's STCC, they have only two options; trying to rack up a budget for a full WTCC campaign or going to TTA. Given that TTA itself is losing a bit of momentum, Chevy might provide a boost to the series.
I really feel bad for the poor Swedish racing fans. They do not deserve that mess.

Anyway, it would be great to see Rydell back where he belongs, in the WTCC. So would having a strong privateer Chevy presence, in order to keep the car count and the car diversity up.